Want to upgrade but unsure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to upgrade but unsure

Hi all, been looking at upgrading my current rig.

My current set up is
    AMD Phenom 955 BE
    Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H
    Phanteks ph-tc14pe CPU cooler
    XFX Radeon 6870
    8GB RAM
    2 X 1TB HDD
    128GB M4 SSD
    600CX PSU
    HAF 922 case
    I use it for gaming and will be doing a small bit of video editing. Been toying with the idea of upgrading to the i5 3570k with the possibility of OC'ing, I have also had a look at a new Graphics card. I see that the VTX3D Black Edition Radeon HD 7870 (Tahiti LE) is one possibility. Is it better than getting a GTX 660 which is around the same price?
    or the possibility of buying the i5, a new PSU and see if I could find another 6870 to CF?
    what would give me the best performance for the price?
    Or is it even worth spending all the money to not notice to much difference when it comes to FPS or other speed. In an ideal world I wouldn't want to spend a lot but I can see this is going to burn a hole in my pocket either way.
    Are these my only options or are there any other suggestions?

Thanks, Ralphy

The rig you have is still pretty good and with Ivybridge being replaced by Haswell in Q2 along with a new socket (1150) i would wait to upgrade the cpu/mobo. The 7870LE is not far off a 7950 in performance so should be quite a bit better than the vanilla 660 and should trade blows with a 660ti.
    i5-4670k@4.5Ghz, Asus Maximus VI Hero, 16GB Samsung Green 2133Mhz@9-10-10-21/1N, Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD, Crucial M500 240GB SSD, 1TB Hitachi 7K1000C, Seasonic G series 750w, EVGA GTX780 FTW ACX Watercooling / Pump 2x AquaXtreme 50z / CPU EK Supreme HF / GPU XSPC Rasa VGA / 25cm XSPC Passive res / Rads, Thermochill PA120.3 + CG360

Comment

So what would be your suggestion? Wait for Haswell and get the 7870LE?

Comment

get a 7950 if you're going to upgrade anything, tbh. But I'd still wait for a few months yet.
        Gaming PC:i5 2500k|MSI Mpower Z77 | Kingston HyperX Grey 8GB 1600MHZ | ThermalTake Frio | MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III 2GB Crossfire | Samsung 840 PRO 250GB SSD | XFX Pro 850W Modular PSU | Corsair 600t Case

Comment

Okay, I think I'll wait and see what happens.
          Thanks

Comment

What res do you game at? If it's 1080p or above i would certainly upgrade the graphics card. The 7870LE is a good deal with the 5 free games but has gone up to 195 from the 185.99 it was a couple of days ago. The cheapest 7950 is 230 but is a XFX so that's best avoided. The only other 7950 on Aria is 275 which makes the 7870LE a good deal.
            i5-4670k@4.5Ghz, Asus Maximus VI Hero, 16GB Samsung Green 2133Mhz@9-10-10-21/1N, Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD, Crucial M500 240GB SSD, 1TB Hitachi 7K1000C, Seasonic G series 750w, EVGA GTX780 FTW ACX Watercooling / Pump 2x AquaXtreme 50z / CPU EK Supreme HF / GPU XSPC Rasa VGA / 25cm XSPC Passive res / Rads, Thermochill PA120.3 + CG360

Comment

if you upgraded to an i5 now you would unlock a little bit more from your current 1 gpu and remove any bottleneck the cpu would place on xfiring 2 gpu.

where you would notice this most is on the drops of fps where the cpu is loaded, how much this would be noticable outside benchmarks idk.

you would get the most gains by spending all your budget on the best single gpu you can afford for gaming, but you might find your cpu has spells where it leaves the gpu waiting.

as said thge 7950 is the best ban per buck gpu you can get but the 7870 le aint that far behind it.

i would look at switching platforms if i was you, intel are better for gaming and do eek out every bit of performance you can get from a gpu. then you are in a better lace down the road to upgrade your gpu when you can make up your mind on which way to go there
              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
              Plato

Comment

A 955BE is'nt going to bottleneck a 6850. If you want to see if it does bottleneck the 6850 overclock the cpu. There will be very little difference. Spending 250 on a cpu and mobo on a dead socket is a waste of money. Now is not the time to switch to Intel with a new socket only months away. The biggest gain you will see will be by upgrading the graphics card. Just do not go with a XFX card as their customer service is abysmal should anything go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pastyman View Post
                  A 955BE is'nt going to bottleneck a 6850. If you want to see if it does bottleneck the 6850 overclock the cpu. There will be very little difference. Spending 250 on a cpu and mobo on a dead socket is a waste of money. Now is not the time to switch to Intel with a new socket only months away. The biggest gain you will see will be by upgrading the graphics card. Just do not go with a XFX card as their customer service is abysmal should anything go wrong.
                  it would lots if he tried to sli/xfire which is one of the options on the table, tbh it will be with any 1 gpu a little bit but only as you would notice during the drops where it hits the min fps as they would run a little smoother and not drop as low. trust me dude i know, not only do i have an amd x4 but also a sandy build and have compared them. amd x4 are more akin to the 775 quads in terms of performance than they are a 2500k.
                  "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                  Plato

Comment

I use a 1920 x 1080 monitor
                    So if I were to upgrade just the GPU for now, which should I look at? There is an Asus 7950 at 275 or would it be advisable to spend extra and get something like the GTX 670 for the extra 50 ish?

Comment

The Asus 7950 is a good card but it's a lot of money for a 7950 and it does'nt come with any games. I don't understand Aria's stock of what must be the most popular card at the moment. They only have two choices, the XFX that nobody wants because of XFX's abysmal support, and the Asus that's 45 more expensive. There should be other makes that fall in between those prices such as MSI and Gigabyte. I would be tempted with the 7870LE because it comes with the best part of 100 worth of games and is almost 7950 performance.

Is your cpu overclocked?

Comment

If Aria had stocked the Gigabyte I would have told the op to go with them. I do not think the Asus is worth the extra over the Gigabyte.
                        Corsair 900D, Superflower 1200watt Platinum PSU, ASUS Z97 Ranger MB , Intel 4790K, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, Corsair H100i, 16gig Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz, Samsung 850 (500gig), WD 2tb, Pioneer 206DBK BluRay writer, Windows 10, Dell 2715U.

Comment

Currently my CPU isn't OC but I have had it in the past, I didn't see enough benefits to keep it. Although the usage has changed since then.
                          So the current recommendation would be to upgrade to a 7950 as long as it's not XFX and not as expensive as the Asus rather than a getting a GTX 670?
                          and to wait until the next gen Intel chips before upgrading that

Comment

With regards to the cpu/mobo, yes, personally i would wait for Haswell and the new socket before upgrading.

The cheapest 670 on here is over 300 which is too much really. Shop around for a Gigabyte 7950 Windforce 3X or MSI 7950 Twin Frozr lll Boost edition. Aria should be stocking these but for some reason are not.

Here is a comparison between 7950 and 670. The 7950 boost edition is a bit better as you can see here. Only you can decide if the 670 is worth a extra 60.

Comment

the MSI HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Boost Edition does look very tempting at around 240 on several rival sites.
                              Power supply wise, will my current 600W Corsair be fine with the 7950 as well as the new i5's when they're out with room for OC'ing? I've always regretted the non-modular design of my current PSU so it could be a good excuse to get a new shiny one.

Comment

Working...
                              X