Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash to BSOD every time after 1 hour

Hi

My PC is self-build 18 months old, used primarily as media player (for hi-res audio, no gaming). Details:

Asus P8 Z68-V Pro
    Intel i3-2100
    8GB G-Skill DDR3
    Crucial M4 64GB system drive, 12GB kept free
    Two SATA3 data hard drives
    Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard
    Be-quiet modular PSU
    Intel on-board graphics
    Windows 7 64-bit

All components from Aria which is why I came here for support.

On Sunday it developed a fault overnight and I came down to a message requesting insert boot disc. I rebooted and now find that the computer will run apparently normally for a period of time before freezing and crashing to BSOD. This was initially a short period but is now almost always after 1 hour.

The reason for the insert boot disc message is that when it resets from the bsod, it can't find the SSD boot drive and stops. This happens every time. At first I went into the bios settings to check the boot priority and the drive wasn't shown as an option, nor was one of the 2 data drives. I managed to find the drive after rebooting a few times and re-entering the bios utility.

The mobo has 2 SATA3 connector blocks, one pair from the Z68 controller and the other pair from the Marvell controller. I suspected the hard-disc controller because the two missing drives were both connected to the Z68 while the one visible drive in the bios settings was on the Marvell, but this doesn't seem to be the problem.

I have done a number of checks and rebooted after each:

Run virus check (MS Security Essentials)
    Updated Java
    Updated Flash (I suspected conflicts in Firefox which seems unstable recently)
    Updated bios
    Uninstalled recently updated/installed software
    Disconnected the two data drives and booted solely with SSD
    Connected SSD to Marvell
    Connected SSD to SATA2 connectors
    Rebooted and left the system idle with no applications running
    Monitored power supply voltages

All these have resulted in no change in the problem except that it is now always an hour until the system crashes - originally it was about 15 minutes.

The BSOD has had two different cause messages. Mostly it says 'A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated STOP: 0x000000F4'. Have also seen Kernel_Stack_Inpage_Error as the reason.

Does anyone here have any ideas? Is it likely to be SSD failure (reason for system still not finding boot disc on reset) - if so why would it work for one hour and not prevent booting? How can I test the SSD for errors - benchmark software shows it ok. Am considering reinstalling windows as last option before replacing hardware.

Thanks in advance for the support

have you got the rest of the stop code??

it could be harddrive failure run checkdisk other thing it could be is a driver error i would do a clean install 1st.
    if it happens again then i would suggest rma'ing the ssd.. but without the full blue screen code i cant tell you for definite if it is the ssd or not...

main thing that causes this bsod is memory/harddisk try replacing the memory sticks i.e pull them out and only use 1 stick if it happens again test the other memory stick more than likly its your ssd failing though...
    Last edited by UkGouki; 07-03-13, 15:46.
    Bitfenix shinobi Limited Germany edition. 3 spectre 120 & 2 spectre 140fans. Core i5 3570k ,msi z77a g45,8gb gskill sniper,infinity black edition gtx 970, samsung 840 120gb ssd, samsung F1 750gb, WD cavier black 500gb, seagate barcuda 1tb,+320gb, win 7 ultimate 64, acer 23" 3dG235H microsoft CC keyboard, logitech G500 mouse

Comment

does it happen if you boot up into safe mode?

i would hazard a guess its the ssd firmware causing the issue with the bios not seeing it but the f4 error code could be many things, software related.
      "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
      Plato

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses UkGouki and marsey99. I started drafting a reply but another 1 hour anniversary hit.

Haven't tried safe mode yet - will next time. I did try to update the SSD firmware but the updater software said that no update was required although the website showed a later version.

I have taken pictures of the screen and tried to insert one - have tried again here

[IMG]G:\Software + drivers\BSOD1.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Piblokto View Post
          Thanks for the quick responses UkGouki and marsey99. I started drafting a reply but another 1 hour anniversary hit.

Haven't tried safe mode yet - will next time. I did try to update the SSD firmware but the updater software said that no update was required although the website showed a later version.

I have taken pictures of the screen and tried to insert one - have tried again here

[IMG]G:\Software + drivers\BSOD1.jpg[/IMG]

you need to upload the image to somthing like http://imageshack.us/ or http://graphicshost.net etc
          Bitfenix shinobi Limited Germany edition. 3 spectre 120 & 2 spectre 140fans. Core i5 3570k ,msi z77a g45,8gb gskill sniper,infinity black edition gtx 970, samsung 840 120gb ssd, samsung F1 750gb, WD cavier black 500gb, seagate barcuda 1tb,+320gb, win 7 ultimate 64, acer 23" 3dG235H microsoft CC keyboard, logitech G500 mouse

Comment

Thanks, I spent ages struggling with the FAQ and came to this conclusion.

Hopefully this works:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/50k6...b7/n/BSOD1_jpg

And this, from the crash 10minutes ago:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/1l3i...t5/n/BSOD2_jpg

Comment

ok i hate to tell you this but looks like the firmware of your ssd is failing 2nd bsod code points to controller error also hints at ram/memory error which could be caused by the controller

1st bsod codes point to ssd/datastore and cpu error which again could be caused by the controller try and run memtest or checkdisk the latter would be better.

im not sure if you can do a firmware update on your ssd whilst using it for your opsystem one of the others who uses them may be able to tell you if you can or not..

i would contact aria to see about an rma on your ssd and unless you have another hdd/ssd to reinstall windows with or your could try a clean install backup any programs or data you want to keep then reinstall it could fix itself but i firmly believe it will continue and eventually you wont be able to retreive anything off of your ssd..

Comment

What firmware is on the SSD?
                You can find out by going to device manager, disk drives, double click on the relevant drive, details, select hardware ids and the firmware should be tagged on the end.

If you need to update the firmware, you can create a bootable CD or flash drive. Make sure that the drive is plugged into an Intel port and that either IDE or AHCI mode is selected (if you change mode make sure before you try to boot Windows to put it back as it was).

Comment

Thanks for all the advice - very helpful. I'm impressed that you can read BSOD's!

Crucial firmware updater software is downloaded with the firmware update. It starts in windows and reboots when run, the update then actions before windows is opened. Tried but, as I mentioned, the updater program identified that no update was required (current version is 0009).

I ran checkdisk and it seemed to go through ok (too fast to read the results) and then the PC crashed when it reached the desktop. Latest BSOD here

http://www.filefactory.com/file/2e44...ah/n/BSOD3_jpg

I think that I have done all that I can and will take your advice and replace the SSD - maybe they aren't yet the solution that they appear. Thanks again for the speedy and helpful feedback.

Comment

bsod3 is the same as bsod 1 harddrive/controller error etc
                    can you use CTRL + ALT + DEL to get to Task Manager and end process on
                    explorer.exe? Try regular and safe modes.

if you do this it will more thank likely freeze or immediately bsod again this will prove its defiantly hdd error..
                    and will rule out ram and cpu..

in safe mode if it happens to not bsod it could be erroneous driver error.

without it telling me which driver has been updated or failed an update etc

only a clean install can rule that out but i still say its your hdd as thats what most of your bsod's are pointing too..
                    Last edited by UkGouki; 07-03-13, 17:30.

Comment

009 version of the firmware was known to have issues that resulted in these kind of BSODS.

You can download the updater that creates a bootable CD or flash drive from here
                      I've found the bootable updater to be far more reliable than the one that runs from Windows and updates on reboot.

Comment

OK

Tried stopping explorer.exe in normal and safe modes. Both times the system stayed up but lost all icons, toolbar and function - mouse pointer still moved but nothing to click on.

Tried the firmware update from windows again, overriding the message that it didn't need to be updated. It failed to update (twice). Tried from bootable USB drive (twice) but again it refused:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/uh3rzb19ifp/n/BSOD4_jpg

Comment

Is the SSD plugged into the Intel SATA port and what mode is it set to?

The symptoms you've described are the exact same as the 009 firmware bug - giving a F4 BSOD every hour after an initial 5000 hours of faultless use.

From what I recall, the drive needs to be in one of the first 3 Intel ports and needs to be set to AHCI mode, in order for the update to work from that version of the firmware.
                          Last edited by IanS; 07-03-13, 19:12.

Comment

It was on the Marvell controller - I switched it to Intel and the update has worked successfully. I'll give it an hour now and see what transpires!

Comment

I know some of the firmwares died at a certain counter level and it would BSOD.

Comment

Working...
                              X