Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC won't post

Hey guys,

I've got a build that I've had for 5-6 years (i5 3570k, 8GB RAM, MSI 660ti, MSI Z77A-GD65). Today it wouldn't post or come on but it would light up and fans would be running. I had a look into it and I believe it's a bios problem.

I used the multi switch to go to bios 2 and my computer boots perfectly fine like usual so I think all my other components are fine and working. I've never had a problem with it before. On bios 1 I was overclocked to 4.2ghz on the cpu which may have been the cause although I've had it running on that for years. I've reseated the RAM, changed the slots, cleared the cmos on bios 1 but no luck in getting it to boot. There's no beeps or anything. The bios is on version 10.0 which isn't the latest (I think 10.7 is) so I installed the latest version to a memory stick to try and flash the bios and update however I've run into the problem that my keyboard doesn't seem to respond when it boots up, like I can't go into the bios or anything.

Do you think flashing will fix it or any other suggestions what to do next? It's working fine on bios 2 but I'd like to know what the problem is. Thanks!

Colin
    MSI Z77A-GD65 | i5 3570k | 8GB Mushkin Blackline | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo | 2TB WD Black | MSI 660ti Power Edition | Zalman Z11 Plus

Yes, I would try flashing it - make sure you're flashing the correct bios though, and not the one that's still working!

There might also be an option in the second bios to restore the first one?

Originally posted by coiler
    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      Yes, I would try flashing it - make sure you're flashing the correct bios though, and not the one that's still working!

There might also be an option in the second bios to restore the first one?
      Thanks and yeah I read up somewhere there was an option to restore the first bios. I just don't know why my keyboard won't work when it starts up, I tried changing from USB 3.0 to 2.0 but no luck. I guess I'll try another keyboard
      MSI Z77A-GD65 | i5 3570k | 8GB Mushkin Blackline | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo | 2TB WD Black | MSI 660ti Power Edition | Zalman Z11 Plus

Comment

Working...
      X