Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice needed about CPU upgrade - choice of 2!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed about CPU upgrade - choice of 2!

Hello,

After successfully managing my first build a year ago I need to tweak some bits that aren't working for me (particularly gaming wise!)

I currently have this combo of cpu and mbo:

AMD FX-6300
    GA-970A-UD3P AMD Socket AM3+

I would like to upgrade to either of these (I don't really want to swap out my mobo)

FX-8350 (here)

FX-8370 (here)

I would have automatically gone for the 8370 but then I've read reviews/benchmarks that say that the 8350 is better, so now I'm confused!

I'm also hoping that either of those would fit in my mobo.

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice?

Thanks!

for 8 i would go with the 70 myself.

they claim they are better refined than the older chips which helps keeps temps down and increases max clock speeds.

now all that sounds like pr bs to me, but it is from a higher bin (otherwise they would of sold them as 50s) has 100mhz higher stock speed and should hit higher speeds than a 8350 on the same voltages.
    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
    Plato

Comment

As far as chip design goes, the 8350 and the 8370 are identical. The only difference is the stock clock speed and potentially the quality of the silicon that the chip was printed on, allowing for higher clocks as luke mentioned. If you aren't going to do large overclocks I would go with the 8350 just to save a few pennies.
      I like haikus
      But sometimes they don't make sense
      Refrigerator

Comment

Both chips are identical in comparison really, imo I would sell the old cpu and mobo and go for a i5-4400 with a lga1150 mobo for around the same price point but has allot better benchmark stats.

Comment

I had the MSI 970A chipset motherboard... It struggled with the 8350 (motherboard temp hit 70-80C quite quickly under load). The Gigbayte board has probably got better cooling on it, but still might be pushing it a bit.

Now I'm on a Gigabyte 990FXA board. Highest temp is 40C uner load (not including the graphics card) @4.5Ghz.
          Last edited by FunkY; 22-02-16, 14:56.
          Why did the chicken cross the road?
          To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

it really seems like msi mobo is the issue dude. fx8 do work the vrm for sure but this seems ok to me too.

looks a nice sink on them to me. air flow with water cooling could be an issue depending on the case but i don't think that's something to worry about here yet
            "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
            Plato

Comment

Originally posted by FunkY View Post
              I had the MSI 970A chipset motherboard... It struggled with the 8350 (motherboard temp hit 70-80C quite quickly under load). The Gigbayte board has probably got better cooling on it, but still might be pushing it a bit.

Now I'm on a Gigabyte 990FXA board. Highest temp is 40C uner load (not including the graphics card) @4.5Ghz.
              msi are s*** on their 970 boards the only good msi board is the gd80,

the ud3p is the best 970 chipset, when i had mine with 8350 @4.8ghz was rock stable, i even pushed it too 5.2ghz on water with 1.65volts

to the OP get the 8350 and clock the hell out of it, most will do 4.5 on nearly stock volts

Comment

Originally posted by jamiehard1989 View Post
                msi are s*** on their 970 boards the only good msi board is the gd80,

the ud3p is the best 970 chipset, when i had mine with 8350 @4.8ghz was rock stable, i even pushed it too 5.2ghz on water with 1.65volts

to the OP get the 8350 and clock the hell out of it, most will do 4.5 on nearly stock volts
                TBH I think the that was the last time I'm ever buying anything made by MSI...

And yeah, I'm running 4.5 @stock volts. I've had it at 4.8 @stock volts, but did notice a little instability (one game that normally ran fine started to lock up), so pulled it back to 4.5. With a little tweaking I reckon it'll hit 5GHz pretty easily, just haven't bothered yet
                Last edited by FunkY; 24-02-16, 07:25.
                Why did the chicken cross the road?
                To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

but but but ......

they ARE military grade
                  Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
                  Forum Guidelines here

Comment

maybe in North Korea.. )

MSI are good for graphics cards...

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTop View Post
                      but but but ......

they ARE military grade
                      Only the GD80 if you can find one.

Originally posted by Moonchester View Post
                      maybe in North Korea.. )

MSI are good for graphics cards...
                      Not all of them, i had one where a VRM chip come off.

Comment

Thanks for the help folks, went for the 8370 as it was only about 10 more than the 8350 when I went to buy!

Just installed it - now to test it.....

Comment

i remember when i had the 8350. Board it came with (Second hand) had throttling issues, couldn't figure it out. Eventually found the vrms were heating up , burned the board, was chocking the performance. I ended up cutting an old heatsink and firing it on those and aiming a fan. Short term i had that setup but worked for me at the time.

Board was not a premium board. Was rated for the 8150 but i never knew that when i bought. Watch buying second hand parts.
                          Alienware m15x I Intel Core i7 720qm I 8gb Kingston DDR3 I AMD M6000 2gb (7870m) I Full 1080 I Intel 3160AC wifi

RIG I Zalman z3 I Evga 600b I Intel core i5 3570k@Stock I Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-b3 I 8gb DDR3 1600mhz Exceleram I Amd XFX R9 290 4gb@1000/1300 NZXT Kraken with corsair h55 AIO I 1tb Samsung spinpoint / 500gb Hitachi deskstar

Comment

Working...
                          X