Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU running at 90C in BIOS - Help

Hi,
    I am completely stumped. Trying to problem solve this machine running at 90C (yes C) in BIOS. It can boot into windows but gets very hot very quickly. It can boot to bios from cold but again, gets up to 90 degrees within a minute or so.

Machine specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte X79-UP4
    CPU: Intel 3970x
    RAM: Currently 4x 8GB sticks of 1600mhz RAM
    Power Supply: Antec 750
    GPU: Budget pci-e card
    Cooler: Corsair H80iGT (Newer) / Corsair H80i (Older)

What I've tried:

Replacing the cooler. First thought was the cooler had died, wouldn't be the first machine to have a dud cooler, and replacing previously solved a similar problem. Not this machine, replacing the cooler sorted the issue for a month or so but have now got the exact same issue with the new cooler. Also yes, i've made sure it's clamped and secured to the board correctly.

Replacing the thermal paste. Yep, have done this several times now with swapping out the old cooler, and replacing the paste with the new cooler too, same issue still.

Updating the BIOS. Tried flashing the bios to update it to the latest version, it is now running at a whopping 7 degrees cooler, but essentially the same problem is still there, boots and stays at 83C.

Removing RAM. I know it sounds silly, but I've swapped out the RAM, and resorted to booting with only 1 stick, tried multiple RAM slots and the same issue still persists.

Pulling the whole machine apart. I've taken every component out, including the motherboard to see if there was perhaps anything behind the board making contact, no such luck. Was all clean, and as a result I've made sure all connections to the board are secure and not loose.

I'm running out of ideas here guys, my final thoughts might be that the GPU is causing some weird issue, so going to try a different one in a different pcie slot even though it seems highly unlikely. The new cooler died exactly like the old cooler did by coincidence. Power supply could be faulty? Motherboard could be dying?

Does anyone have any thoughts? Please help me ;_;
    SteamID: powerfuse0
    Post + 1

Could be a faulty sensor, have you tried something else to monitor the temps? Is the temp it F or C.
    Last edited by scrivz69; 11-02-16, 11:33.

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

Comment

Not tried something else to monitor the temp, wondering what you might suggest. A 3rd party program like hwmonitor, or do you mean something I could plug in?
      Post + 1

Comment

Are you sure you haven't been posting under a different username, recently..

Originally posted by coiler
        Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Use hwmonitor, should give you an idea.

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
            Are you sure you haven't been posting under a different username, recently..
            Not sure what you mean by that.

I did get HW monitor and results were the same.

Just moved the GPU down into a different PCIe slot and temps are now the same......??? What is happening. Im losing my sanity.

I havent changed anything since yesterday other than that, and was reading 90 yesterday^
            Post + 1

Comment

Lol all very odd indeed.

Comment

I will keep you guys posted...
                Sorry for a slightly anticlimactic thread. I'm utterly confused.

Thanks for offering the help!
                Post + 1

Comment

Go into power saving at change the rate at which the CPU runs from 100% to "on demand" and allow to drop to 10%
                  It will not make any difference to he performance whilst doing things but will add a minute - probably not even noticeable - amount to the time it takes to start/resume tasks.

I have bought several machines cheap off Ebay because of overheating and they all are fine after both cleaning AND doing the above. The laptop I am tping on now was one that ran at over 90 all the time. It is currently showing 58.
                  I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
                  Dave Burnett

Comment

Not a second bad cooler? Could be a bad cpu rare but seen it happen. If not user error. Touch it and see if its hot to touch should feel if its at 90c pretty easy!

Comment

I'd put your hand in the general vicinity of the cooler, if it was legitimately churning out at 90c the air being pushed out by the cooler would feel uncomfortably hot. If its just a few degrees above room temp or just feels a little warm, its likely to be a faulty sensor reading
                      i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

Originally posted by Burn-IT View Post
                        Go into power saving at change the rate at which the CPU runs from 100% to "on demand" and allow to drop to 10%
                        It will not make any difference to he performance whilst doing things but will add a minute - probably not even noticeable - amount to the time it takes to start/resume tasks.

I have bought several machines cheap off Ebay because of overheating and they all are fine after both cleaning AND doing the above. The laptop I am tping on now was one that ran at over 90 all the time. It is currently showing 58.
                        Interesting, I'll give this a shot.

Originally posted by Mebby View Post
                        Not a second bad cooler? Could be a bad cpu rare but seen it happen. If not user error. Touch it and see if its hot to touch should feel if its at 90c pretty easy!
                        I touched it, was very hot.

Originally posted by BigIan88 View Post
                        I'd put your hand in the general vicinity of the cooler, if it was legitimately churning out at 90c the air being pushed out by the cooler would feel uncomfortably hot. If its just a few degrees above room temp or just feels a little warm, its likely to be a faulty sensor reading
                        I touched the heat pipes on both coolers while it was running, one was very hot and the other was the temperature i'd expect the pipes to be.
                        Post + 1

Comment

make sure the fan header they're plugged into is not in silent mode.

sounds like no pump action.
                          "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                          Plato

Comment

1. Make sure pump is getting power and working.
                            2. Check that your cooling plate is actually mounting up on the CPU with the correct pressure, I've had a few AIO coolers now where I've had to modify them slightly or shim the backing plate out because they didn't fit of mount up with any decent pressure on certain motherboards. That would give you exactly what you're experiencing.

Comment

i dont think getting heat into the cooler is the issue phil, just sounds like the pump aint moving it around.
                              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                              Plato

Comment

Working...
                              X