Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU hot after intensive tasks?

Hi guys,

So my CPU was running up to 58 degrees copying several gigs of files from iPod to my hard drive and editing in Camtasia studio. But even after using it it is getting hot when idle. Will it cool down? Thanks qwertyK

58*c isn't exactly hot
    Originally posted by Aaron
    I want those sweet cherries

Comment

I know, but it was idling at the most 46 degrees. Its now running quite a bit hotter, even though the computer is pretty cool. In the BIOS the temp is 42 degrees, like 8 degrees below what Core temp says.

Comment

Of course ... there's less load on the CPU when it is in the BIOS, and it most likely reads a different sensor too.

I'm guessing you're using the **** stock cooler too. So there's no surprise your temps are high. If you're not using a stock cooler, you're doing something seriously wrong.
        ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

The stock cooler is fine. If you're overclocking then yeah its s***. It managed to cool it before. Considering the same thing happened with the fx6309, I am going to do a clean install of windows 10.

Comment

The stock cooler will keep it under 100c, yeah. It's still junk.
            ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Well its a massive improvement on radiator -gate i'm guessing?

Comment

if your cpu is holding heat it tends to mean your case is holding the heat, not the cpu. as the cooling should return it to idle temps with in a couple of minutes of the load ending. even stock cooling.
                "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                Plato

Comment

Do you think I should reinstall Windows?

Comment

Well, last night the radiator was stone cold and the PC was still hot. So I think it is a windows issue.

Comment

Considering your CPU hits idle temps of what my 140mm custom loop hits under full load on a 4.8 GHz clocked 6700K at 1.45 volts, the cooler and your case are most likely the problem.

Mine benchmarking XTU hits 65c tops, and that is one hell of an intensive test.

Comment

Windows reinstall won't help tbf,

What software are you using to check temps, and did you definitely fit the cooler properly/correct amount of thermal paste etc

Although you could just leave it and not worry as the temps aren't dangerously high.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I fitted the cooler. The reason I think a reinstall might help, is that this is the exact problem I had with my FX chip which was running dangerously hot. I have reinstalled, and am checking temps now. I am using Core Temp.

Comment

Okay, I think it was a software issue. Now idling under 40 degrees most of the time, max temp so far, 46 degrees.

Fingers crossed.

Comment

Oh, guess I spoke to soon, Max temp 48 degrees. Crap.

There's a whole lot of dust on the front fan mesh I've cleaned out. The case can't be the problem, there's great cable managment, one intake fan and one exhaust fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X