Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-lidding Service for Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Broadwell & Skylake CPUs

NOTICE:
    I am due to leave the country for good in three weeks (or thereabouts) of updating this post. I am therefore unable to continue to offer this service. I would like to thank each and every one of you that came to me to have this done, and I am glad that I have had nothing but positive results/feedback from it.

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

If you’ve found yourself on this page, there’s a strong possibility that you’re interested in de-lidding your Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Broadwell or Skylake CPU to obtain better thermals. Perhaps you’ve even de-lidded your CPU already and you’re just curious what this may be. In any case, whatever the reason, this is what I offer for you guys who may be too afraid to do it or may not possess the right tools for the job.

Before we go any further, I must stress a few things and these are NOT going to change. I know that the vast majority of you know of the risks, but I need to be abruptly clear so that there is no misunderstanding. If you are not comfortable with this, perhaps it isn’t for you. So, here are the risks that you must be fully aware of:

Terms & Conditions

1) This is a service that I am providing on behalf of me, and no one else. The affiliated forum on which this is posted is in no way responsible for any issues that may arise. I’ve done my best to lay out the terms and conditions, and the possible consequences, as best as I can. I may have forgotten something here or there, so I reserve the right to change it as and when I wish.
    2) I will not be held responsible for the procedure going wrong. I have tested the tool (De-lid Die Mate by der8auer) a number of times, all of which were pain free. This is ultimately the most important one that you comply with, or else there’s no sense in reading the rest. I can perform the procedure with a razorblade, but the best method is with the specially designed tool by Roman as it is quick and reduces the risk to almost zero;
    3) This is and always will be a risky procedure;
    4) Your warranty will be null and void (but see the ‘drawback’ further down);
    5) I have the tools to make this as risk-free as possible, and the ability to do it quickly and efficiently;
    6) I will not be held responsible for it going missing in the post. I use tracked (special) delivery methods to ensure that it doesn’t happen and tracking info will be provided at all times, and;
    7) This is ultimately your decision. I have the tools and the abilities, but the above must be agreed before we can continue.
    What are the benefits?
    1) Lower temperatures by as much as 20 degrees Celsius, more so on Haswell and below (generation wise);
    2) Increased longevity of your CPU, and;
    3) Higher overclocks can be obtained, as much as 200 MHz more at the same voltage compared to non-de-lidded CPUs. Your mileage may vary, though!

What I ask of you in this post:

Please do not post if you are not interested in such a service. If you are genuinely interested in it but you have a few questions, do not hesitate to ask within this thread. I will reply within 24 hours to any questions. I’m not asking for a lot here. Please be respectful.

What are the drawbacks?

1) There’s only one downside, but it is a big one. The drawback is that you will lose your warranty. To the best of my knowledge, Intel will not cover a de-lidded CPU under warranty. However, I’ve heard reports that they do indeed cover it and people have successfully RMA’d their CPU(s) to Intel, even after admitting that it was de-lidded during the RMA request stage. However, If for whatever reason it does go wrong, and the CPU no longer POSTs, I will do my very best to get it rectified for you in whatever way that I can. I’m a firm believer of doing what I can to help, unlike some who may just say tough luck and leave you in the dark.

What will be done before your CPU is de-lidded and returned?

All CPUs will be tested by me in one of my motherboards prior to me beginning the de-lidding process to eliminate the possibility of someone pointing the finger. The testing will include checking the idle and load temps on my equipment for approximately five minutes. I will record those temperatures before I begin. I will then retest the CPU after it has been de-lidded and make a note of the change in temperatures. The screenshots will be kept on file for proof. A copy shall be printed for you, and stuck inside the envelop upon its return.

How long will the process take?

I aim to get this done within 24 hours of receiving your CPU. I do however work a full time job, which will limit the amount of CPUs I can process in a day (if it were to get busy). Please don’t be too disheartened if I do not complete your request within 24 hours. I will do my best to do so, but it may take 48 hours. The CPU needs time to dry before I can remove it from the clamp and it also requires a bit of testing again to ensure it is fully functional before leaving my hands.

What shipping method should I use to send the CPU to you?

That is ultimately your choice. I would personally recommend using recorded delivery at the very least, but you can of course opt to use something cheaper if you so wish. I will, and always do, use special delivery from Royal Mail as it covers up to 500 for insurance reasons. The tracking is also a bonus as I can see where it is/when it arrives. Please ensure that the CPU is packaged safely on its trip. The plastic container in which the CPU was sold to you in (inside the retail box) will suffice as it provides adequate protection against the postal services.

What does it cost to de-lid my CPU(s)?

So, if you’ve stuck with this the whole way through, I suppose it is time to lay out the cards and tell you the pricing. You will need to send the CPU to me, of course, and that is entirely up to you as to how you’d like to do that. I personally prefer to use special delivery for the insurance reasons, but that is entirely your call. I will always return the CPU with special delivery for insurance purposes.

What thermal paste can I choose from?

You have the choice between two of my favourite pastes, and they are:

1) Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut - suitable for air, water and subzero cooling.
    2) Coollaboratory Liquid Pro (or Ultra, depends which I can get in) - the best for air and water cooling.

Option 1, with resealing and new paste:

1) The price is 20, which includes return shipping via special delivery;
    2) The cost is a flat rate that is the same for any kind of CPU;
    3) Multiple CPUs will be eligible for discounted rates (see ‘discounts’ below), and;
    4) Return customers (I will be keeping records) will be eligible for discounted rates (see ‘discounts’ below);

Option 2, without resealing and paste:

1) The price is 12.50, which includes return shipping via special delivery;
    2) The cost is a flat rate that is the same for any kind of CPU;
    3) Multiple CPUs will be eligible for discounted rates (see ‘discounts’ below), and;
    4) Return customers (I will be keeping records) will be eligible for discounted rates (see ‘discounts’ below)

Discounts:

1) Two or more CPUs at once will see a 10% discount on both occasions, and 5 removed from the final fee as postage is then combined, which saves us both money;
    2) Repeat customers will receive 15% discount on their orders. There is no limit as to how many times you can take advantage of this. This cannot be combined with the first discount.

Additional service for even higher temperature reduction:

The only way to go from here is to lap the IHS, which would make the RMA process completely and utterly impossible. This is a time consuming process, because at least 30 minutes of sanding is required.

A flat rate of 10 is going to be charged for this, but I'll be completely honest here; it isn't needed and often doesn't reduce temperatures very much at all, unlike in the old days.

Completed jobs, in order:

1) (08/02/2016) Bit-Tech - Harlequin - 3770K - Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut TIM - http://imgur.com/a/7b6xN
    2) (23/02/2016) Aria Forums - Fluke816 - 6700K - Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut TIM - http://imgur.com/a/WaFK3
    Last edited by TheMadDutchDude; 24-11-16, 19:38.
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Just a general query really.

Any reason why people don't use IC Diamond for the TIM? In most of the tests I've seen across the web and from personal testing, that stuff was the best by a clear margin but I don't see anyone buying it for de-lidded paste.
    i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

The reason behind it, I believe, is due to it scratching the die in the long run and it very expensive for minimal gains.
      ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Updated the OP to contain a finished product. I don't have any pictures of the process, but I will get some when I de-lid a CPU that's coming over to me shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
          The reason behind it, I believe, is due to it scratching the die in the long run and it very expensive for minimal gains.

I hadn't heard of Kryonaut until you mentioned it in this thread but that seems to beat others off in the few temp-tests I can find
          i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

There's new thermal paste coming from TG as well, I believe. It's meant to be even better than Grizzly ... I hope it comes out soon.

Comment

can i ask you what de-lidding means, im a complete noob and yes i read the 1,2 and 3 in terms and condition about lower temperature etc

Comment

What do you stick the heat spreader back on with?
                i7 2600K @ 4.5| Asrock Z68 Extreme4| 16GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix |AMD R9 290| 120GB SSD |Win7 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by examsvintage View Post
                  can i ask you what de-lidding means, im a complete noob and yes i read the 1,2 and 3 in terms and condition about lower temperature etc
                  In your CPU you have the die which is where all the processing actually takes place, thus it's where the heat is generate. The silver plate on the top of the CPU is an integrated heatspreader that transfers heat from the die to the CPU cooler. On the Intel CPU's that TMDD mentioned, Intel started using thermal paste to attach this heatspreader to the die (on older CPU's it was soldered). This caused a drop in the amount of heat transferred between the die and the integrated heat spreader leading to much higher CPU temperatures (as heat was being transferred to the heatspreader, and therefore the CPU cooler much less efficiently). To get round this, some people remove the integrated heatspreader so that the CPU cooler has direct contact with the die, meaning heat is transferred much more efficiently, reducing temperatures and allowing for higher overclocks.

Not of interest to me as I'm on X79 now, but a good service you're offering there
                  I5 2500K @ 4.7GHz| Maximus IV Extreme | 8GB Predator DDR3 | Crossfire Radeon 5850| BeQuiet! L8 630W | Corsair 700D
                  Razer Lachesis | Razer Black Widow

Comment

As above really, I remove the metal bit, the IHS, and then replace the thermal paste in the middle with higher quality stuff. The standard Intel goop is pretty useless, it does the job ... but it could be better.

Finners, I stick it down with an adhesive that I found on Amazon. It looks very similar to the Intel standard stuff, so RMA should still be possible. I can't guarantee it though, which is why it says in the disclaimers that it will be void. I have a CPU going back that was de-lidded, so I'll let you know if they accept it or not.

Comment

I've got my first customer from another forum. I shall let you guys know what happens. It's a 3770K in question, for what it's worth.

Comment

Was the delidded CPU accepted for return?

Comment

Yes sir, it was. I've got friends in the community who have returned chips too. So long as there's no real physical damage, like a cracked core/scratches/damage to the PCB, I think it's fine.

No CPU arrived just yet as special delivery apparently doesn't guarantee Saturday delivery. Monday it is!!

Comment

I may use this service for my 4690k when I can afford a new one just incase lol

Comment

best thing i ever did to my 4770k was delidding it.

it had more impact on my temps than 200 of water cooling (sad but true)
                              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                              Plato

Comment

Working...
                              X