Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skylake upgrade - should I?

Hi all,

There's a voice inside me that saying 'don't bother' but I'm curious and actively looking for reasons to upgrade to an i7 6700k and add a whiff of overclocking.

I currently have an i5 4690k (at 4.4ghz), a ga-z97p-d3 mobo and 2x4gb of Crucial Ballistix Sport ram at 1600mhz.

I can sell all that for approx. 200 on a good day and put together a skylake setup for an additional 280 using the 6700k, 2x4gb of some ddr4 ram and a gigabyte z170hd3p mobo.

I will likely only ever game on this computer which currently has an MSI gtx 980 ti gaming, 2x ssd's, a phanteks enthoo evolve atx case and windows 10 as well displaying on an xb270hu.

Give me reasons to do it please!

Because you can and you want too!!! /thread
    FILM QUIZ!!!!? Name the film from the quote!!
    "Right. Better clench up, Legolas"

Comment

Best reason to upgrade to skylake is to take advantage of M.2 SSDs really. The performance gains over your 4690k will be negligable. I upgraded from a 2500K to skylake recently, but I did it knowing that I wouldn't really see much in terms of a performance boost.

If you fund it by selling the old parts though, you might as well. I can never be bothered to do that, however I managed to make use of the 2500K by upgrading my son's PC.

Comment

think of all those poor shareholders only getting a cut of the 11bil they made in profits this last year, they need more support!

really, you have no reason tbh dude :/

get some better ram or a invest in some serious cooling which will not only be of use now but when you do upgrade too. get a better screen or a cutting edge gpu or something you will notice as tbh from what you have the extra pcie lanes for good m2 is the only thing worth while. i just dont think many would even try to argue 280 or so is worth it just for that :/
        "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
        Plato

Comment

Ah well, I have an xb270hu monitor and an h110 cooler. I also use an Msi gtx980ti gaming gpu so if anything, the weak link is the cpu.

Comment

Thanks Andy, the m2 storage is very appealing as is the ddr4 ability although I appreciate there's little benefit with that atm. I'm thinking that as resolutions go up and games become more demanding that to have everything maxed even a 980ti will start needing in game settings gradually reduced.

Comment

Originally posted by andyn View Post
              Best reason to upgrade to skylake is to take advantage of M.2 SSDs really.
              That's one treason why I have amassed a list of bits to buy for an upgrade. That and the fact that my current stuff is >5 years old, with no proper support for front USB3.

Even with an SSD already, the speed gain from the M.2 sounds impressive.
              Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
              Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
              Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

That an other reasons makes me feel my build would be ready for the next few years of software development and storage/peripheral/gpu/pcie device development.

i do want to be sure I get an appropriate motherboard (if going for the change) rather than the cheapest with overclocked, ddr4 and m2 support which I've chosen with the gigabyte.

I've read from several sources that directx 12 will allow use of different gpus running simultaneously in the same mobo. Is it likely current motherboards can support this? I know obviously sli and crossfire setups are around but no one has hinted that any current boards will support differing gpus in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudchute View Post
                  Ah well, I have an xb270hu monitor and an h110 cooler. I also use an Msi gtx980ti gaming gpu so if anything, the weak link is the cpu.
                  yea, not exactly how it works tbh dude. games are mostly about gpu power and the rest of the system is there just to feed it data. faster storage can help here much more than people think, as can faster ram speeds and a bloat free os.

at 1440p your cpu might still be the limiting factor to a small degree, but more capable water cooling would allow for more overclocking room from your cpu and last longer in your system than just 1 upgrade cycle.

more ram (which would be my pick tbh) will help you greatly, as would more bandwidth from faster sticks too. your gpu has nearly as much ram as your whole system....not a good thing as once you start to fill the vram, and it gets mirrored in your system ram you soon find something has to give. cas11 2400mhz is todays sweet spot for ddr3 imo but if you can find the odd set of cas10 2400mhz that is still floating about that's even better

there are also more advanced screens with the latest version of adaptive vsync hitting the market, more advanced gpu with the latest in ram tech with hmb. more advandced display options with the latest dp.

there are plenty of ways to improve you gaming experience. but i still think more ram is the thing your system needs most.
                  "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                  Plato

Comment

Adaptive vsync is an old technology is it not? My understanding after lots of reading was that gsync was as good as it currently gets. I can confirm that my display is flawless in this respect. The only improvement I can foresee is a high refresh rate 3440x1440p display with gsync like the Acer x34(?) however that's 900+!

Also, with regards to gpus the next step up was a TitanX which wasn't sufficiently better than a 980ti to warrant its enormous price tag.

with regards to cooling the h110 I have does an amazing job of cooling my hot running i5 (4.4ghz was its limit, more equated silly temps). i agree my ram is pretty boring though, maybe a few fps to be gained there. Ddr4 would help!!

Comment

Because it makes you happy, tis your hobby etc.

Sell old stuff for much as poss on bay, get Skylake, its going to last a very long time
                      Originally posted by Aaron
                      I want those sweet cherries

Comment

Sod it, I'll see what I can get for my current parts and go for it. I'll report back once its all fitted and working exactly the same!

Comment

Just a heads up if you want to stick with Windows 7 - you won't be able to install it over USB! Microsoft have done something that means with Skylake to prevent you (no longer supporting something...). Windows 8 & 10 are fine though!
                          Play3r | News, Reviews & Competitions

Comment

Cheers buddy, I'm safe though. I have a retail key for Windows 10 so I can deactivate this board and deactivate once a new one is installed.

Comment

Here's some of my Skylake build pics to whet the appetite

Originally posted by coiler View Post
                              Upgrade pics, old vs new >>>

What better workbench? Coffee, mulled cider and red wine on deck

Originally posted by Aaron
                              I want those sweet cherries

Comment

Working...
                              X