Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new i5 4690k overheating.

Hi everyone.

I've recently upgraded from a gigabyte mono/fx6300 to an I5 4690k and matching Gigabyte mono from aria but I have some concerns re the cpu.

I bought it to overclock but before doing so I've run a check on it to see what temperatures it reaches in its stock guise.

5 minutes of Prime 95 had it hitting 100 degrees centigrade with the stock heat sink. Even with a Corsair H80i running flat out it would reach 90 degrees. It idles at 40 degrees centigrade.

I've checked the obvious cooler/cpu interface, reapplied thermal paste, added x2 Corsair fans to the front of the case (Bitfenix Comrade) so I now have 3 in total. (4 when using the h80i).

I'm really concerned I have a dud unit that isn't safe to overclock at all due to its temps.

With these temps there is no headroom at all to increase its speed. I'm also worried that in stock guise it'll lead a short life.

has anyone had this problem?

Have you removed the plastic covers from the heatsinks? How much thermal paste are you applying each time? Are all mount screws (on the H80) tight?
    i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

where have you got the pump power connector plugged into?

How much TIM did you use?
      I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

All covers removed, less is more approach to paste (enough to cover the cup face but no more), all screws seated down but not white knuckle tight.

Pump is plugged into a system fan terminal.

TIM? I owned a ps4 3 weeks ago before assembling this pc, I'm not down with the acronyms yet!

I started playing arma and quickly found the amd chip was lacking, bless it.

Comment

TIM = Thermal interface material.

Is the pump motor registering a speed in the bios.

Is the bios giving full power to the fan connector, not all do.
          I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Ah, I used what came on both the h80 and the cpu's oem heatsink. I tried both types of cooling with only small but measurable differences in temperature.

I'm assuming full power is at the terminal as corsair link shows the pump and both radiator fans at max rpm.

Comment

haswell cpu run hot.

why i delid mine xD

i can think of many reasons why temps could be an issue but till you show some screens with voltages/speeds and some info on case/fan config none of it matters
              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
              Plato

Comment

As marsey said. Those CPUs just run hot. My very first (of fourteen in the end!) 4770K hit 100c under the best air cooler on the market. Needless to say, it went back for a refund and the second came back in much better shape.

As it is hitting 100c on the stock cooler, it is NOT fit for purpose, and you should get it replaced by the retailer. Intel will also RMA the CPU for you directly if you can't go through your retailer in time. Intel take roughly one week to replace the chip.
                ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Rma time if you are on stock voltage.

Comment

thats it on the nose dude, what is the volts?

my 47k wants 1.15vcore stock but my bios on auto will throw 1.4vcore at it, which is enough to overpower any off the shelf ambient cooling.
                    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                    Plato

Comment

Aria have advised leaving it as stock

Comment

Aria have advised leaving it stock and monitoring temps further which I'll do.

I found this https://communities.intel.com/mobile...tents%2F302424

During which via Intel xtu someone found the default max cpu wattage was set at over 4000w which mine was too. I've set it at the suggested 100w (ish) and I've struggled to get the cpu close to 60oc during gameplay.

Comment

i advise you turn it down tbh dude, but the number at which it is set is what matters.

host a screen grab with it running cpuz and hwmon to show the speeds, temps and voltages as something really sounds off.

maybe run prime for a few seconds so it loads the system and the volts and speeds are up high for the image.
                          Plato

Comment

My advice would be that it's EXCEPTIONALLY rare (I think it's fair to say basically unheard of) for us to get Intel CPUs which are defective out of the box.

Sure, some might not be winning overclocking championships due to simply bad luck in that you've got one from the 'edge of the wafer' but having ones which are not stable/fine at default speeds with the stock cooler properly fitted etc is unlikely. The wattage setting sounds like a good candidate.

Comment

Asides from the wattage setting I'm going to leave it as standard as advised. I've rechecked and with the i5 I'm getting between 100-160 during bf4 (on ultra with aa turned off) and 50-60 with Arma 3 (again on ultra).

I shouldn't be so greedy...

Comment

Working...
                              X