What to look for when buying used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to look for when buying used?

I'll start by saying I hope its ok asking this, I respect that of course this forum is actually run by a business!

I'm have recently being doing a lot more threaded tasks and I have been maxing out the CPU power I have available so I've been looking at used 3770k's (don't really fancy buying a new motherboard as well...) but I am not overly trusting of previous owners, so my question to you all is, what sort of giveaway signs are there that I should look to avoid when looking for a used processor and are there some places that are more reputable for this than other?

Many thanks in advance!
    MSI Z77A-G43 , i7 3770K@4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS R9 290x DirectCU II, 4x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport, 120gb Crucial M4, 240gb Crucial MX500, 500gb Seagate Barracuda, 2Tb Seagate Barracuda, NZXT H440, Corsair RM 850W Gold PSU

As it's a K edition you're looking at: ask what sort of overclocks they managed to achieve if any, what timing/voltage settings they used, highest temps they've seen it at, what sort of workloads they tested it with etc... If they seem a bit cagey about giving you the info, look elsewhere. CPUs don't easily break unless they've abused (and even after abuse many of them just keep working anyway).

It's a shame you don't have more posts on the forum, they often pop in the tp.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?
    To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

That's a fair point actually, hadn't really occurred to me to ask what timings/voltages they ran, so used to my i5 happily clocking way over on stock volts i guess haha. I'll give that a go thanks

Yeah I've seen posts by people before saying about the trading post, unfortunately I'm a fair few posts off being able to see it aha
      MSI Z77A-G43 , i7 3770K@4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS R9 290x DirectCU II, 4x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport, 120gb Crucial M4, 240gb Crucial MX500, 500gb Seagate Barracuda, 2Tb Seagate Barracuda, NZXT H440, Corsair RM 850W Gold PSU

Comment

Working...
      X