Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought this might help... 10 year CPU comparison....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought this might help... 10 year CPU comparison....

Since being a little more active on the forums, I've noticed that a few people that use the forum are asking about upgrading older systems and well, I thought this might be of some use

http://www.techspot.com/article/1039...-cpu-compared/

A comparison of a load of aged CPU's to the latest and greatest. It's very surprising to me that how things haven't really changed massively over the past few years since the days of the 920, 2500k etc, but with a decent GPU, they are still massively capable systems. I know they won't be as efficient and quite so fast but that's not for me a reason to not still use them...

Here's the comparison with a GTX 980 in with them.. I was pleasantly surprised... What about you guys??

http://www.techspot.com/article/1039...red/page5.html

Here's a comparison for the 920 v 870 and below that the i5 760 v the 920...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/47?vs=107

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/47?vs=191

I know I'm biased cos my 920's managed 4.5Ghz 24/7 so I'd pick that but the newer chips do have the edge, but with the 870 being faster stock clock speeds, then umm.....

I won't be changing from this E3 Xeon until something that pushes the boundaries comes out. Intel seems to have stagnated with incremental bits now AMD aren't pushing them, happy to grab cash every year for a few percent improvement.

Comment

barton2500 ftw
      Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
      Forum Guidelines here

Comment

I only threw out two Barton 2500's this week.

And I felt ill then. They still worked.

Comment

HOARDER!
          ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

There's a Duron 600 in the attic, and a 386.

Comment

Originally posted by PhillipM View Post
              I won't be changing from this E3 Xeon until something that pushes the boundaries comes out. Intel seems to have stagnated with incremental bits now AMD aren't pushing them, happy to grab cash every year for a few percent improvement.
              I have a feeling you'll be waiting a while That said, I am hoping to sell on my 4960X, it's a monster of a CPU but without the 7970's to put in them and the pump/res to run loops I won't be bothering with it now..

I'm sure I have some Durons and XP CPU's here still, couple E21xx and E42xx CPU's as well... I think I even have a 486 CPU here somewhere!! lol
              That said, my trusty Abit NF7-S system is still rocking under the desk here along with my DFI LanParty board

Comment

Haha, I had (probably still have, I saw the nb heatsink in a box the other day) an NF7-S, awesome board!

WRT CPU's, that little difference shown in gaming in the review is going to drop even further with DX12 titles, hopefully, so I should be good for a few years yet

Comment

Well I'd love a few new GPUs but we'll see what happens to the price and how funding comes along For now, my SR2 and my two 7970's are going to be my gaming machine My 4960X will hopefully be sold!!

Comment

I still have my nf7-s too..

It was just such a good board, I don't have the heart to get rid of it.. It's got an XP2400+ in it still too.

I know I also have a full slot a athlon system somewhere here as well..

Originally posted by coiler
                    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

If the 4960X goes, then I will probably be holding out for Skylake E if there's such a thing. We will see what happens with money and everything else!! I'm sure something will rear it's ugly head!!

Comment

Originally posted by PhillipM View Post
                        I think the main reasons are twofold: home and even gaming PCs simply not having requirements which drive big leaps in per-chip processing, and the change of focus from 'the most MIPS possible' to 'low power, efficient processing'. Making CPUS more efficient is a win for both mobile computing and enterprise/hosted environments, so that's where the R&D is going. It all makes sense, but it's a bit boring.

Comment

Dropping power usage is far more important at this stage. An eight year old CPU is only starting to become too slow for games and the likes now, which means that they're years ahead of the progression line. Well, I say that, Intel is ... AMD, not so much.
                          ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Q9650 22 frames in metro
                            4790k 89 frames in metro

Thats the most extreme example for my Q9550 I could find. Rest of games look ok.

I'll be going Skylake 6700k at some point, with a Gsync 2k screen.
                            Originally posted by Aaron
                            I want those sweet cherries

Comment

Well I like the idea of having less power but more performance is always a good thing. I notice only really in benchmarks at times the differences between my 920's and my 4770k/4960X setups but then having that rather poor Corsair Link software installed, it also gives me an idea of how much less power I'm taking out the socket to have the same or better performance.

Things for me are focused purely on gaming performance and with video/picture editing coming way down the list and if not all cases, I don't care how long that takes to do.. As seen by the link, there's really not a massive amount of difference between the CPU's in games, so these 1366 chips will solider on for now

I do think they could have possibly used a different GPU in that post, 980 a very nice card, but would bottleneck like hell on older hardware, but I suppose that was the whole point in the test??

Comment

Working...
                              X