Clear All

• 4790k vs 5820k vs 6700k

Putting the prices to the side for a moment, which way would you go for

a) gaming
    b) video/photo editing/rendering
    c) virtual machines
    Originally posted by Aaron
    I want those sweet cherries

Theoretically, although the difference is meant to be minuscule, (certainly compared to the 4790k) - the new Skylake 6700k should be the best in all three areas if we're not worrying about price, right?

Won't get your "bang for buck" out of buying it, but I do think these processors will perform better than all of the above. -Think-

Get a signature of your own?

Comment

Originally posted by Sovereign View Post
      Theoretically, although the difference is meant to be minuscule, (certainly compared to the 4790k) - the new Skylake 6700k should be the best in all three areas if we're not worrying about price, right?

Won't get your "bang for buck" out of buying it, but I do think these processors will perform better than all of the above. -Think-
      A 5820k is faster than a 6700 in video processing etc, is on par in gaming. My 4790k is a better gaming chip than the 5820k I had, in single core processing I very much doubt there will be much in it between the three.
      Corsair 900D, Superflower 1200watt Platinum PSU, ASUS Z97 Ranger MB , Intel 4790K, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, Corsair H100i, 16gig Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz, Samsung 850 (500gig), WD 2tb, Pioneer 206DBK BluRay writer, Windows 10, Dell 2715U.

Comment

a) 67k
        b) 67k if they are all monster clockers if not;
        c) 5280k for the last 2.

skylake could beat the hex cored 5820k if it can gain enough speed to cover the 33% less cores it has.

it is an interesting time, in theory it could be another sandybridge where a 250 chip beats last years 750 chip if skylake is a monster clocker.
        Last edited by luke22; 06-08-15, 13:50.
        "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
        Plato

Comment

Any decent reviews you'd recommend a read of Marsey?

Comment

always hard to knock hexus tbh dude.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/85...-14nm-skylake/

techspot do some overclocked testing too.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1041-...ke/page12.html

anand as always gave it a glowing review but it is in their charts and you get an idea.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1543?vs=1320
            "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
            Plato

Comment

subbed for later

Comment

Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
                always hard to knock hexus tbh dude.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/85...-14nm-skylake/

techspot do some overclocked testing too.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1041-...ke/page12.html

anand as always gave it a glowing review but it is in their charts and you get an idea.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1543?vs=1320
                I would take the hexus review with a pinch of salt, they cannot even get the price right for the i7 6700k
                Corsair 900D, Superflower 1200watt Platinum PSU, ASUS Z97 Ranger MB , Intel 4790K, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, Corsair H100i, 16gig Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz, Samsung 850 (500gig), WD 2tb, Pioneer 206DBK BluRay writer, Windows 10, Dell 2715U.

Comment

what the reps say they think and what the shops can charge the early adopters and not the same thing dude
                  Plato

Comment

The 'right' price is difficult now as shops are selling for whatever they can get for them. Some will be more up-to-date on the pricing than others and undercut each other to draw business to them instead. All shops have their own pricing schemes that they follow, so I wouldn't say that they can't get it right.

As for the OP, if you're already on Ivy/Haswell, there's no point in upgrading to Skylake. If you are video encoding and the likes, then you'll see a bigger benefit from switching to X99 with the extra cores and threads than you will over increased IPC in my opinion.

I'll be getting Skylake in a few weeks time hopefully... I'm just waiting on a few things first.
                    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Id add here that looking at benchmarks, for gaming, paired with a decent GPU an i5 will pretty much match the i7 it seems.

http://www.techspot.com/review/972-i...-i7/page5.html

Comment

shawry at 4k dude an 80 apu is like 1 fps behind a 300 i7 when both paired with the same gpu.

but throw that apu a 30 second scene to render and watch it melt while the 5820k eats it alive in moments you know
                        Plato

Comment

shawry at 4k dude an 80 apu is like 1 fps behind a 300 i7 when both paired with the same gpu.

but throw that apu a 30 second scene to render and watch it melt while the 5820k eats it alive in moments you know
                          Absolutely, but I didnt realise the above at all, so when I come to look to build a gaming PC for my daughter I know I can save a fair few quid now

Comment

Originally posted by shawry View Post
                            Absolutely, but I didnt realise the above at all, so when I come to look to build a gaming PC for my daughter I know I can save a fair few quid now

Thats kind of why i'm still rocking my Q9550, and keep upgrading GFX as and when, slight bottleneck there but not enough to stop the GTX780 delivering ultrad out games. O

One day when the frames start to suffer and GPU upgrade no longer works i'll upgrade. Although i'm quite tempted by 4k, or 1440 144hz for FO4!

Comment

the main thing to keep in mind is res, lower res is less heavy on the gpu and puts all the limit on the cpu.

but i totally get it dude. i think you need to upgrade now myself, it is a great time to see significant gains in all parts concerned. but i totally get why i have maintained for a while all you need to game today is 4 cpu cores, enough ram and a gpu which can power your screen. past that, it is just the gravy

pcie3 and the good m2 drives, current cpu tech is not light years ahead but the rest of the tech around has moved on. hell it is even looking more and more like the next big step in this area is the merger of system and storage ram like i have been creaming myself over for years

usb 3.1 and even the long fabled type c connector are things which we both know are going to become the mainstream of pc/it products over the rest of this decade at least.

now all these things are all coming together on the mainstream mobo....buy!buy!buy!

gpu wise i would wait till next year, 16/14nm gpu cores with hbm2 and more vram, before jumping on the 4k gaming train myself. even now both camps have took 2 swings at 28nm cores you still need 2 to power it. before we talk about the good 4k screens still being silly money vs the wide choice of great 2k screens you can get today. 2k is still the sweet spot imo if want to avoid sli/xfire issues and not loss so much cash on a screen.
                              Last edited by luke22; 13-08-15, 14:11.
                              Plato

Comment

Working...
                              X