pentium 3.6ghz 660 v pentium 3.00ghz d 925

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pentium 3.6ghz 660 v pentium 3.00ghz d 925

which is the best for basic use please ?

I know its old school stuff its what I have been asked to upgrade,

the system currently runs the 660 cpu, will the Pentium d 3.00ghz 925 make it any faster ?

thanks for any advice

Yes, assuming the board can take a pentium d
    I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

The Pentium D would be better. Dual core over single core.
      ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

If it can take a pentium d it should be able to use one of the first core2duos with an up to date BIOS, not only much more power efficient but will run rings around a pentium d.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Originally posted by El Wayneo View Post
          If it can take a pentium d it should be able to use one of the first core2duos with an up to date BIOS, not only much more power efficient but will run rings around a pentium d.
          not always, a lot of pentium D boards don't have suitable voltage regulators for C2Ds
          I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Comment

iirc, there's only one chip set that supported pentium d and not core2duo and that's 955, would be surprised if its one of those as there weren't many as other chipsets came out quickly.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Depends on the manufacturer to be fair.

Dell certainly have a lot of boards that will run "D"s and not C2Ds

Same as they also have a lot of boards that take 775 P4s but not "D"s

Comment

the motherboard is MS7254

which does not take CORE2DUO

thanks for your replies

Comment

HP DX2200 by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by wonderlust View Post
                    HP DX2200 by any chance?
                    yes correct

Comment

Stick a cheap 9 series Pentium D it will run OK.

Comment

I have now changed the Pentium 660 3.6ghz cpu for a Pentium d 925 3.0ghz

I have been told on here that the 925 is a better cpu

running windows 7 ultimate ( is this too much for such a small cpu)?

yet in the windows experience index rating it has gone from 4.4 for the 660

it has dropped to 2.5 for the 925 meaning it is rated not so good I think

is this correct ?

can someone please advise

it is only being used for basic use by the way
                        Last edited by borris12; 19-03-15, 16:37.

Comment

Windows performance index means nothing at all, literally nothing, might be something to do with hyperthreading or frequency but its just nonsense.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Originally posted by El Wayneo View Post
                            Windows performance index means nothing at all, literally nothing, might be something to do with hyperthreading or frequency but its just nonsense.
                            This.

@ Borris12 Have you tried running any real benchmarks to compare the 2?

Comment

What heatsink did you use on the 925? All Alloy one or a copper cored one?

Could it be getting hot and throttling?

Comment

Working...
                              X