Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old chip shootout time, stick with the q6600, or run an i5-2400s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old chip shootout time, stick with the q6600, or run an i5-2400s?

Right, got an i5-2400s and 2x4gb sticks of DDR3 for free today, which is nice, but, the question is, do I use them to replace my Q6600 (@3.4ghz) in my main rig, or just build another machine with 'em?

The only thing that has me concerned is with the limited overclocking and it being an early low-power chip, with lower turbo boost speeds when the cores start getting used, it might not be worth buying an old 1155 board (given they're still 60 quid for a decent ish board) for it in case it's not noticeably faster than the q6600?

Yay or nay?

i5 all the way
    Is my new Kingston flash drive on drugs?

i

Comment

The i5 is about twice as quick as the Q6600 in general usage, however is it worth spending 60 on a new board ? Is there any other parts worth upgrading like an SSD ?

Comment

In most day to day stuff, not gaming etc, you will notice very little difference.

An SSD will be more noticable
        I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Nah, the machine already has SSDs in there and decent size raid storage. I just never spent the money on upgrading from the Q6600 as it was fast enough not to bother really - m plan was wait until the new boards/chips/DDR4 have come down in price a little in the spring and make a leap rather than incremental upgrades. But, the i5 and DDR3 was free, so...

Comment

Lol in that case enjoy the increase in performance and drop in power use
            I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

I'd say to go for it.
              If you don't like it much, you can always go back.
              If you enjoy building PCs like most of us do, you'll have a good time with it.

Comment

Just as an after thought, if you upgrade to the i5, you will probably get sata 3 as well. Your Q6600 will almost certainly be on a sata2 connection, unless you've added a third party sata 3 card into a PCI-e slot. Pretty sure no socket775 chipsets ran sata3.

This on its own will bring you an extra boost in speed, unless your SSD is more that 3 years old. SSD's have been saturating sata2 bandwidth ever since the old crucial c300 came out.
                Originally posted by coiler
                the trails is where life flows best
                Originally posted by coiler
                Cruciate, when you need answers, proper answers, head for the tower on the hill, top O' the trail, clarity will be delivered.

Comment

Plus you have the extra boost in speed that knowing your stuff is newer and faster brings.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

The 60 or whatever you could recuperate by selling your q6600 stuff any way, or whack in another rig. =)

Do eet
                    Originally posted by andyn
                    Trick in most cases seems to be to get in early, and get out early. Pump and dump.
                    PC: - i5-3570k, Mushkin 64gb SSD, 8GB Vengeance, MSI Twin Frozr III 7850.
                    Laptop: - Asus N55SF, Core i7-2670QM, GT555M (2GB).

Comment

Well if you were planning on upgrading in the spring, sell the i5 and the ram to put towards the upgrade?

Comment

Yeah, the portsare Sata II, so the SSD's peg it at 270mb/s

Comment

Originally posted by Cosford View Post
                          The 60 or whatever you could recuperate by selling your q6600 stuff any way, or whack in another rig. =)

Do eet
                          Q6600 + motherboard + 4GB RAM should be going for around 50 on fleabay.

Comment

What motherboard have you got with the Q6600? If it's a reasonable one, that'll cover the cost of a newer 1155 board anyway.

I'd also say go for it. Much faster in day to day stuff and uses less power. It's a win win all round.
                            ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

It's a P5K and a G0 Q6600, memory is XMS2 and Ballistix, Freezer 7 cooler, so I should get half decent money for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X