Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e3 1230 motherboard

Hi all

After being suggested by many nice guys here, I decide to go for e3 1230 v3.

One thing that v3 attracts me is that v3 can boost up to 3.7 GHz even if all 4 cores are running. From some reviews, however, it is said that this may need supports from motherboard. Thus I wonder which motherboard I should choose to get this bonus (3.7ghz for 4 cores). I guess a Z87 is definitey ok but may be not necessary? how about H87 ?

any suggestions are more than welcomed.

Cheers

that zeon will turbo up to 3.7ghz in all motherboards, it is its max turbo ratio.

for the most part i would say you are better going for the 4770k as the slight increase in cost is offset by the higher resale value and increased performance you can gain from its unlocked multi.
    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
    Plato

Comment

Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
      that zeon will turbo up to 3.7ghz in all motherboards, it is its max turbo ratio.

for the most part i would say you are better going for the 4770k as the slight increase in cost is offset by the higher resale value and increased performance you can gain from its unlocked multi.
      If you want to overclock 4770k then you are going to have to spend extra on decent cooling which is going to make a small price increase a bigger one.

Comment

Originally posted by marsey99 View Post

Hi Marsey

Yes, you are right. E3 1230 v3 can turbo up to 3.7Ghz, but only for one core. For quad-core running, it would turbo down to 3.5Ghz if the motherboard does not support...

Comment

Originally posted by rickqiu81 View Post
          Hi Marsey

Yes, you are right. E3 1230 v3 can turbo up to 3.7Ghz, but only for one core. For quad-core running, it would turbo down to 3.5Ghz if the motherboard does not support...
          I thought the non-turbo speed was 3.3GHz on that model. At that speed you can max out all 8 threads with standard cooling and it will remain within TDP ?.

Also turbo boost can work across multiple cores, not just one as long as CPU thinks it will remain within TDP.

Comment

Originally posted by oneman View Post
            I thought the non-turbo speed was 3.3GHz on that model. At that speed you can max out all 8 threads with standard cooling and it will remain within TDP ?.

Also turbo boost can work across multiple cores, not just one as long as CPU thinks it will remain within TDP.
            Hi oneman

Thank you for the reply. Intel sometimes does not allow max turbo speed for multi-core running. An example is I5, you can see the turbo speed list at http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-032278.htm. From the table, you can always get the max turbo speed with one core in I5, but not for 4 cores.

The same situation applies to e3 1230 v2 (3.7Ghz single core, 3.5 Ghz quad core), but not to v3. With Z87 board, V3 can get max turbo speed with 4 cores (8 threads). However, it seemed that there was a bug for the first version of B85 H87 (C1) so that the manufacturer developed the so called 'enhanced turbo boost' technique in H87/B85 to get max turbo speed with 4 cores as well. But I was told that Intel is forcing the manufacturers to fix the bug and prehaps the speed of v3 using H87/B85 is limited to 3.5 Ghz with 4 cores and 3.7Ghz with single core...

Sorry I am not expert in CPU so please correct me if I am wrong.
            Last edited by rickqiu81; 05-02-14, 12:08.

Comment

Originally posted by rickqiu81 View Post
              Hi oneman

Thank you for the reply. Intel sometimes does not allow max turbo speed for multi-core running. An example is I5, you can see the turbo speed list at http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-032278.htm. From the table, you can always get the max turbo speed with one core in I5, but not for 4 cores.

The same situation applies to e3 1230 v2 (3.7Ghz single core, 3.5 Ghz quad core), but not to v3. With Z87 board, V3 can get max turbo speed with 4 cores (8 threads). However, it seemed that there was a bug for the first version of B85 H87 (C1) so that the manufacturer developed the so called 'enhanced turbo boost' technique in H87/B85 to get max turbo speed with 4 cores as well. But I was told that Intel is forcing the manufacturers to fix the bug and prehaps the speed of v3 using H87/B85 is limited to 3.5 Ghz with 4 cores and 3.7Ghz with single core...

Sorry I am not expert in CPU so please correct me if I am wrong.
              Bit more digging for v2 CPU shows that turbo boost is limited by the number of cores in use. Don't have the data for v3 but due to being slightly more efficient it may well give you slightly more per core compared to v3. I suspect you are going to be hard pushed to notice in real world usage.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1400267/x...#post_20196777

Comment

Originally posted by oneman View Post
                Bit more digging for v2 CPU shows that turbo boost is limited by the number of cores in use. Don't have the data for v3 but due to being slightly more efficient it may well give you slightly more per core compared to v3. I suspect you are going to be hard pushed to notice in real world usage.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1400267/x...#post_20196777
                Thank you oneman. Yes, I have been clearly shown by the pictures of my friends that their V3 with H87 board can turbo up to 3.7 Ghz with all cores. But the problem is that all of their H87 boards were made before June 2013. A rumor said the H87 board made recently have cancelled this function so V3 with new H87 boards can go only down to 3.5 Ghz with 4 cores (3.7Ghz with 1 core can still be got). If this is true, I would say V3 is nothing better than V2...

Comment

Working...
                X