Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i5 or e3 ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • i5 or e3 ?

    Hi all

    I am new here and would appreciate any suggestions.

    I am an engineer who develops image processing/pattern recognition algorithms for large amount of image data. Recently I am upgrading my home desktop and hope that my new home desktop could help me deal with my work even if I am at home.

    I am considering i5 4570 or e3 1230 v2, but not yet decide which one to buy. I cannot be sure if it is worth spending 30 more for the e3 or i5 has been fine with my requirement.

    I would welcome any of the suggestions on choosing the CPU...

    Cheers
    Rick

  • #2
    Depends on the software you use tbh.

    If it's single threaded or needs faster cores, then grab a 4570k and overclock it with a Z87 mobo and an aftermarket heatsink.

    If the software can use hyper-threading, then grab the e3 and a cheaper H81/H87/B85 mobo that can't overclock and run it at stock speeds. This should be faster than the i5 as the e3 has 4 cores able to run 8 threads. Each core is slower than the i5 though.
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

    Comment


    • #3
      Well the e3 1230 is basically an i7 (4 cores but 8 threads compared to the 4 cores 4 threads of the i5) so will be better for heavily multi threaded applications. Whether this is of benefit to you really depends on the software you use.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi Spaceboy

        Thank you very much for the reply. I may need to use the parallel computing sometimes but not too much. (I could also connect to the server in the office if needed but would avoid in most cases due to the slow connection speed).

        I am not a heavy gamer but may play a bit sometimes in the weekend for fun. May I know if 4570 is faster than e3 1230 v2 if both are running using single thread at stock speeds? Thank you.

        Comment


        • #5
          Worth pointing out that the 1230 V2 is an Ivy based chip as opposed to the V3 which is Haswell.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Terbinator View Post
            Worth pointing out that the 1230 V2 is an Ivy based chip as opposed to the V3 which is Haswell.
            Hi Terbinator

            Thank you for the suggestion. I've also noted that , but was told that the performance of V3 just improved a little, compared to V2. Sorry I am not a professional CPU designer and please point it out if I am wrong.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rickqiu81 View Post
              Hi Spaceboy

              Thank you very much for the reply. I may need to use the parallel computing sometimes but not too much. (I could also connect to the server in the office if needed but would avoid in most cases due to the slow connection speed).

              I am not a heavy gamer but may play a bit sometimes in the weekend for fun. May I know if 4570 is faster than e3 1230 v2 if both are running using single thread at stock speeds? Thank you.
              Just looked at the speeds, and there's very little in it at stock speeds.

              You have:
              4570 4 threads, non-overclockable (h81/h87/b85 mobo)
              4670k 4 threads, overclockable (z87 mobo) and would be faster in single threaded apps and games
              e3 1230v3 8 threads, non-overclockable (h81/h87/b85 mobo) - cheaper than the 4670k and more threads

              Another point to note is the e3 does NOT have any integrated graphics, but if you're gaming as well then that's not a problem

              Personally I think the choice should be between the 4670k and the e3 1230. If you're not interested in overclocking then get the e3 because it's cheaper but will last longer due to being able to run more threads in future apps/games.
              If you want all out speed, get the 4670k and overclock it. It costs more, but will be faster at most games.

              Also, I don't recommend buying in to Ivy these days, just from the perspective of motherboard features and support.

              /my 2p
              --
              Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
                Just looked at the speeds, and there's very little in it at stock speeds.

                You have:
                4570 4 threads, non-overclockable (h81/h87/b85 mobo)
                4670k 4 threads, overclockable (z87 mobo) and would be faster in single threaded apps and games
                e3 1230v3 8 threads, non-overclockable (h81/h87/b85 mobo) - cheaper than the 4670k and more threads

                Another point to note is the e3 does NOT have any integrated graphics, but if you're gaming as well then that's not a problem

                Personally I think the choice should be between the 4670k and the e3 1230. If you're not interested in overclocking then get the e3 because it's cheaper but will last longer due to being able to run more threads in future apps/games.
                If you want all out speed, get the 4670k and overclock it. It costs more, but will be faster at most games.

                Also, I don't recommend buying in to Ivy these days, just from the perspective of motherboard features and support.

                /my 2p
                Thank you very much, Spaceboy. I think I will go for e3 1230. But V3 seems more expensive than 4670k....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rickqiu81 View Post
                  Thank you very much, Spaceboy. I think I will go for e3 1230. But V3 seems more expensive than 4670k....
                  You're getting a faster chip. The 1230 V3 is essentially an i7 4770 - which goes for about 230.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X