Stock intel i5 cooler ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock intel i5 cooler ?

I'm just about to get the i5 4670k processor which comes with a cooler. I've read that its a bit pants.
    I will probably dabble with a bit of overclocking. I've been recommended the Thermalright true spirit 120m.

So would people agree that the true spirit is better?

Dont want to spend a fortune on water cooling.

Stock cooler copes okay at stock speeds.

Almost any after-market cooler will be better than the stock cooler though, especially when you overclock.

What case do you have, and what budget are you looking at for a cooler ?
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Originally posted by andy996tt View Post
      I'm just about to get the i5 4670k processor which comes with a cooler. I've read that its a bit pants.
      I will probably dabble with a bit of overclocking. I've been recommended the Thermalright true spirit 120m.

So would people agree that the true spirit is better?

Dont want to spend a fortune on water cooling.
      as spaceboy says the stock cooler is ok at stock temps. I have the 4670k and you will be able to manage a mild overclock with the stock cooler aslong as you dont increase voltage.

Comment

Budget for cooler - 30 to 40

Comment

If it'll fit, I'd get this : https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=57187
          --
          Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

Don't Aria do the CM Hyper 212 Evo anymore? I would forever and always suggest that cooler, fantastic little thing.
            12 11 13 - I was there
            Finners Stole my GPU

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
              Do I still need an after-market cooler or just the stock one if the case contains 5 more fans?

Comment

Originally posted by rickqiu81 View Post
                Do I still need an after-market cooler or just the stock one if the case contains 5 more fans?
                depends how much of an overclock you want tbh if your gonna overclock i would get an aftermarket cooler my stock cooler managed a 4.0ghz overclock on my i5 3570k anything higher i didnt like the temps in the high 80's and i have 7 fans in my case... i now have a corsair h55v2 aio cooler that was only 40 i now have a 4.2ghz 24/7 overclock but i can get 4.4ghz stable under 70c! but i still didnt like the temps so 4.2ghz and its basicly 45c under full load
                Bitfenix shinobi Limited Germany edition. 3 spectre 120 & 2 spectre 140fans. Core i5 3570k ,msi z77a g45,8gb gskill sniper,infinity black edition gtx 970, samsung 840 120gb ssd, samsung F1 750gb, WD cavier black 500gb, seagate barcuda 1tb,+320gb, win 7 ultimate 64, acer 23" 3dG235H microsoft CC keyboard, logitech G500 mouse

Comment

If you want to overclock you need an aftermarket cooler. If people want to overlock on stock and run temps in the high 70s/low 80s thats up to them but I wouldnt recommend it.
                  Last edited by Chaz; 03-02-14, 13:35.
                  Originally posted by jointhedotz
                  I admit it, it's so damn good! following Alan on the downs, just getting a feel

Comment

Originally posted by UkGouki View Post
                    depends how much of an overclock you want tbh if your gonna overclock i would get an aftermarket cooler my stock cooler managed a 4.0ghz overclock on my i5 3570k anything higher i didnt like the temps in the high 80's and i have 7 fans in my case... i now have a corsair h55v2 aio cooler that was only 40 i now have a 4.2ghz 24/7 overclock but i can get 4.4ghz stable under 70c! but i still didnt like the temps so 4.2ghz and its basicly 45c under full load
                    Thank you UkGouki. May I know if the aftermarket cooler has been enough or the water cooling is required if overclocked to 4.4 ghz?

Comment

Thank you UkGouki. May I know if the aftermarket cooler has been enough or the water cooling is required if overclocked to 4.4 ghz?
                      my h55 is enough for 4.4ghz so yes but its all chip dependant some chips wont even get to 4.4ghz without stupid volts my brothers 4770k wont get passed 4.3ghz on a h100i very bad one he got unlucky..
                      Bitfenix shinobi Limited Germany edition. 3 spectre 120 & 2 spectre 140fans. Core i5 3570k ,msi z77a g45,8gb gskill sniper,infinity black edition gtx 970, samsung 840 120gb ssd, samsung F1 750gb, WD cavier black 500gb, seagate barcuda 1tb,+320gb, win 7 ultimate 64, acer 23" 3dG235H microsoft CC keyboard, logitech G500 mouse

Comment

Originally posted by UkGouki View Post
                        my h55 is enough for 4.4ghz so yes but its all chip dependant some chips wont even get to 4.4ghz without stupid volts my brothers 4770k wont get passed 4.3ghz on a h100i very bad one he got unlucky..
                        I think perhaps the water cooling is still required for safety...

Comment

Working...
                        X