Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I need something a little more powerful for this kinda of work?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I need something a little more powerful for this kinda of work?

So, I might have to take work home (heaven forbid). This means using my laptop which is:

Dell XPS L501x
    Intel Core i3 370M (2.4ghz) (socket 989)
    4GB DDR3 667mhz
    Intel HD GPU & Nvidia GeForce GT420M (1GB)

The work i'm doing requires using Excel to open .csv spreadsheets with a few million entries and a rough size of 5GB. The same goes for .txt files of anywhere between 2GB and 15GB.

Would this laptop run fine? I have tried on my main PC and they work in Excel, but it kills OpenOffice. Would you suggest more memory?

Personally I would try and bump main RAM up to 8Gb.

Join the fan page -
    https://www.facebook.com/SubZeroPcCooling

Comment

The hardware would handle the csvs no problems ... Excel 2007 would also handle that many rows...Open office can only handle

maximum number of rows: 65,536
      maximum number of columns: 1024
      maximum number of cells per sheet: 67,108,864

Whereas excel can handle 1,048,576 rows

Adding another 4gb as pointed out would speed it up no end !!
      posted by scrivz69
      I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
      i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

Hmm, so would I have to split say a 5 million row CSV file? I might look into an 8GB set actually, could be worth investing in.

Comment

if its 5 million lines then I would say yes.....
          posted by scrivz69
          I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
          i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

Hmm... OK, thanks for those stats above though. I shall now look into an 8GB set

Comment

more ram would help with out a doubt, may take a while to open the files due to the size of them, i deal with a lot of csv files at work but nothing that size thankfully

Comment

Originally posted by gray.woodford View Post
                more ram would help with out a doubt, may take a while to open the files due to the size of them, i deal with a lot of csv files at work but nothing that size thankfully
                Hmm, yeah these txt files are all combined server logs as we run 15 databases on two clusters and the CSV files are millions of peoples details (you guys are probably on there )

Comment

that's impressive! why CSV's though?? Can't imagine that being very quick

Main: Crucial C300 64GB | Phenom II 965 @ 4.0 | 8GB | MSI HD6870 | M4A89GTD USB3 | Xonar DS | VE278Q
                  Secondary: Fractal Core 1000 | x2 250 | GTX460 | 2GB | 760GM |
                  Server:
                  Server 2008 R2 | E6750 | 2GB | 1.5tb
                  Bikes: Zesty 314 2012 | Latitude 853 | Tarmac Elite 2012

Comment

CSV is just what our system imports and exports. It's used for manual stuff and automated FTP triggers etc... I dunno why it is used, but it seems easy for clients to populate and everyone has Excel

Comment

Working...
                    X