Worth going this route?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth going this route?

Currently have Q6600, 4gig ram, on p5e mobo.

Knowing that I would need to also get a new mobo and RAM, would getting

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Barga...roductId=42874

be a worthwhile upgrade, and whats the cheapest mobo/RAM that I could do with it to get a decent overclock?

Personally, I'd get this CPU http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=44716 or the i3-2100 if you can stretch to it http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=43839

Silverline 1333 MHz RAM is crazy cheap these days, and pretty much any P67/Z68 motherboard, depending what you want to do with it in future
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

I wouldn't consider that an upgrade, would have thought the performance would be no better or even worse in multi-threaded apps.
      Spaceboy's suggestions would be better.

Comment

Going the suggested route would mean that I can upgrade to ivybridge when that comes out?

Comment

I'm still not 100% sure if Ivy will be socket 1155 although good old Wiki says this

Ivy Bridge is the codename for the yet-to-be released 22 nm die shrink of Sandy Bridge. Ivy Bridge processors will be backward compatible with the Sandy Bridge platform
          --
          Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

That Z-stock CPU is gone now anyway.

Definitely go for the 1155 platform if you're planning on upgrading now.

Comment

Is that Q6600 overclocked at all? I had one to 3.8Ghz on a P5E and it's still a very good cpu.
              i5-4670k@4.5Ghz, Asus Maximus VI Hero, 16GB Samsung Green 2133Mhz@9-10-10-21/1N, Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD, Crucial M500 240GB SSD, 1TB Hitachi 7K1000C, Seasonic G series 750w, EVGA GTX780 FTW ACX Watercooling / Pump 2x AquaXtreme 50z / CPU EK Supreme HF / GPU XSPC Rasa VGA / 25cm XSPC Passive res / Rads, Thermochill PA120.3 + CG360

Comment

Originally posted by pastyman View Post
                Is that Q6600 overclocked at all? I had one to 3.8Ghz on a P5E and it's still a very good cpu.
                3.8?

I've had it to 3.2 without issues, but never tried higher as I didnt want to alter voltages.

I thought it had been confirmed that ivy was using the same socket as sandy?

I'm not necessarily upgrading, just looking for deals, as money is tight, and I do feel I need/want a bit more from my system.

Upgrading will allow me to then sell my parts, so hopefully that should net me about 120+ to reduce my overall outlay too.

Comment

Originally posted by shawry View Post
                  3.8?

I've had it to 3.2 without issues, but never tried higher as I didnt want to alter voltages.

I thought it had been confirmed that ivy was using the same socket as sandy?

I'm not necessarily upgrading, just looking for deals, as money is tight, and I do feel I need/want a bit more from my system.

Upgrading will allow me to then sell my parts, so hopefully that should net me about 120+ to reduce my overall outlay too.
                  I would like myself keep your,set up and save your cash . if all you do is game and not much else the Q6600 is still a very good CPU with the right equipment .

But,at,the end of the day the decision is yours ,I know what the upgrade bug is like

Comment

Originally posted by bazza2000 View Post
                    I would like myself keep your,set up and save your cash . if all you do is game and not much else the Q6600 is still a very good CPU with the right equipment .

But,at,the end of the day the decision is yours ,I know what the upgrade bug is like

basically I keep looking for deals, then if one thats too good to turn down, I'll then approach wifey

I've just overclockced to 3.5, but I have concerns about my voltages, have posted in the overclock (hijacking a thread) forum, and await a response from experts

Comment

Go for AMD, Much much better motherboard features for your money.

Join the fan page -
                      https://www.facebook.com/SubZeroPcCooling

Comment

Working...
                      X