Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel to drop prices in q3 plus new processors due!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel to drop prices in q3 plus new processors due!

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20080520PD205.html

Strange that they appear to be killing the Q9300 but keeping th q6600!

I can only assume that 45nm yeilds are proving to be very good and that they have a glut of 65nm quads, could it mean some higher 65nm chips being clocked down and sold as q6600s? If so the overclocking is going to be good
    I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

The Core 2 Quad 9450, currently priced at US$316, will be phased out of the market to be replaced by the Core 2 Quad 9400 at 2.66GHz and a price of US$266. The Core 2 Quad Q9300 and Q6700 will both be phased out at the same time too, leaving the Q6600 as the only 65nm quad-core CPU left in Intel's lineup, and which will drop from US$224 to US$203.
    Sounds to me like people just aren't buying the q9300 / q9450 (probably due to low multi and high prices) and sticking to the q6600, and lets face it who can blame them as performance wise there is very little to persuade people to pay over the odds when a q6600 is almost as powerful, clocks better for alot less .
    Laptop: i7-3610QM~16GB~GT635M
    Gamer: i7 3820 @ 4.4Ghz~MSI X79A-GD65~16GB Redline 2133~HIS R290(X)~TT A90~CM SILENT PRO 1000w~U2713HM.
    Canon 5D Mk3 16-35 F4L / 24-105L / 180mmL / 70-200 2.8L IS II / Sigma 50mm f1.4DG / Sigma 150-600 Sport / 2x 430EXii (Me on 500px)

Comment

I'd ted to agree with mac124 there.

The price increase over the stupidly cheap q6600 G0 is not worth the little extra clocks you could get (not to mention needing a much better baord to obtain those higher fsb's required with a low multi...)

The only upgrade i'd go for over a q6600 would be a qx of some sort... and that's only if it was cheap.. which they aint
      What's horrible about being drunk???

Ask that to a glass of water..

Comment

the q93 was always deadwood for those in the know, they did it to try and ship the worst of the 45nm chips to public who dont know better. i bet some eom will snap up all thats left on the cheap.

only donwside the the q66 vs q94 is what happens when apps need sse4? ok it wont be tommorrow but it will happen. the main advantage in my eyes of the 45nm over 65nm chips is the heat issue, i honestly belive i have watsed a fair bit of money for cooling that i will not really ever push to its limits now with these cooler running chips.

personally i thnk alot of those who do know whats going on are waiting for nelhelam, i know i am, to see if they do perform much better before going quad. for my needs a quad is overkill and dead money in that respect, so i have stayed on the lower rungs of the e range as they are more than enough to fill my boots.
        "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
        Plato

Comment

THe Q9300 really isn't worth it when the Q9450 sits above it.

The Q9450 is in ridiculous demand, or perhaps it was - intel messed around so much with delayed releases and recalls a lot of people got sick of waiting and just went for the Q6600.

The Q9450 STILL is like gold dust at a reasonable price, when Aria first got it in it was around 170.

Intel just havn't produced enough to fulfil the demand, I know if I built a new system today and the Q9450 was in plentiful supply at its RRP of 170 I would purchase one without hesitation.
          Originally posted by Aaron
          I want those sweet cherries

Comment

Perhaps it was Intels plan to run down stocks of the q6600?
            I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Comment

well they wont want warehouses full of them....if they work from the bottom bins up the last few q66s to go on sale could be clocking monsters
              "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
              Plato

Comment

Originally posted by wonderlust View Post
                Perhaps it was Intels plan to run down stocks of the q6600?
                You could be right perhaps, they released the Q9450 on the spur to combat the Phenom. Then when intel realised the Q6600 still wiped the floor with phenom they thought DOH
                Originally posted by Aaron
                I want those sweet cherries

Comment

Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
                  well they wont want warehouses full of them....if they work from the bottom bins up the last few q66s to go on sale could be clocking monsters
                  Lol i already said that

Comment

sshhh its a sneaky lol spam post sshhh

i was just thinkning with the way some of them seem to be bad at clocking atm the last few could in theory be the of same quality ic thats on the qx range, which would be nice.
                    Plato

Comment

For dual-core CPUs, Intel will... phase out the Core 2 Duo E8300.
                      Never seen one of those before...
                      Pentium G620T | ASUS P8H61-I | 4GB Patriot 1333Mhz | 64GB Cruical M4 | Antec ISK300-150

Comment

Nice, just when I was thinking about buying an e7200.

Comment

Unfortunately I cannot wait for this price drop. $100 off a E8400 could see it drop to below 100 here!
                          CPU: C2D E8400
                          Mobo: Asus P5Q Deluxe
                          Case: Antec P182
                          PSU: Corsair HX 520w

Comment

it will be about 110/115 here, it will just replace the 8200 in its price, with the 85 taking its and the 86 going for the same price as the 85 is now.
                            Plato

Comment

Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
                              it will be about 110/115 here, it will just replace the 8200 in its price, with the 85 taking its and the 86 going for the same price as the 85 is now.
                              Yeah.

Although theoretically it's $100 off so it should, but never in the UK
                              Pentium G620T | ASUS P8H61-I | 4GB Patriot 1333Mhz | 64GB Cruical M4 | Antec ISK300-150

Comment

Working...
                              X