Q9450 release

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

edit, misread.

Wonderlust's experience with his individual Q6600 shows that it can potentially be incredibly easy to overclock but I still maintain that to get the most out of your CPU it's not the ideal way to go about it. Not that anyone here is right or wrong, we all have our own methods.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz CPU
    Zotac GeForce 9300 WiFi Mini ITX Motherboard
    2GB Patriot PC2-6400 4-4-4-12 Extreme Performance
    Xpertvision GeForce 8800GT 512mb GDDR3 @ 600MHz/1800MHz
    160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA II
    Silverstone Sugo SG05 Mini ITX Case

Comment

Absolutely what works on one system might not work on another identical setup. Though a little knowledge can yeild reasonable results. But mainly do your homework and with some trial and error and common sense (so you don't fry your system) are all thats needed to get good stable overclocks.
      Laptop: i7-3610QM~16GB~GT635M
      Gamer: i7 3820 @ 4.4Ghz~MSI X79A-GD65~16GB Redline 2133~HIS R290(X)~TT A90~CM SILENT PRO 1000w~U2713HM.
      Canon 5D Mk3 16-35 F4L / 24-105L / 180mmL / 70-200 2.8L IS II / Sigma 50mm f1.4DG / Sigma 150-600 Sport / 2x 430EXii (Me on 500px)

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I didn't go straight to 3Ghz!

I started slowly 5Mhz (FSB) at a time, just that once I got to 3Ghz I used the Jumper's instead of the bios. I have had it stable at 3.6Ghz but I didnt like the voltage (1.45) and temperatures I was getting.

To be honest does anybody really NEED a quad core running at 3.6Ghz?

So I dropped the chip back to what is, IMHO, an optimal speed/votage ie max speed on a standard bus speed with no voltage change required

BTW I have been overclocking PCs since my 386 days
        I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

Yeah that's fair enough. Never doubted your experience/knowledge but I simply wanted to reiterate (and annoyingly, I do this a lot) that ideally one should be overclocking in small increments and do their homework.

Overclocking in small increments nowadays doesn't have as huge a significance as it did before compared to previous platforms in the past but regardless, this method will find the optimum voltage/clock speed combo just like what you found.

My overclocking experience only dates back to the Slot A AMD Athlon Thunderbirds and even then the fundamental overclocking technique was pretty much the same as today.

Comment

Yeah, When I started we had chips with unlocked multipliers but these got locked as suppliers were remarking them as higher rated chips and selling them at a premium.

Last chip I remember being able to do that with is my 166mmx which would run at 233.

Thats when the switch to FSB overclocking seem to be made. next major chip that I overclocked was the Celeron 300a, where everyone knew that the reatil chips yeild was so good that they all did 450 out of the box (4.5 multi x 66 FSB to 100FSB). This is where the rumour started that Retail chips come from the centre of the wafer.
            I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Comment

Yeah, I'd heard about the Celeron 300a that was often touted as value for money overclocking. Interesting stuff.

Comment

My one is still going strong albiet in use by a kid for school work, at the time it walked all over the P2 450 due to the P2's level 2 cache was off die and at half the FSB where as the Celeron 300a was on die at the same frequency as the core. (which IIRC was the first mainstream chip to have it) It was, as you can imagine, a lot cheaper too!

Comment

Just got my Q9450. I'm planning on 3GHZ first. I was reading on tomshardware they did a qx9*** (cant remember what) that they managed to up the FSB without having to tinker with the voltage for the first increase. Which is nice

Comment

Just been reading on Toms Forum that a guy has an E7200 @ 4Ghz looks like most of the 45nm chips are doing fairly near 4Ghz

Comment

well if it's any bearing i'll be putting it into a DS3R

the box quotes a max fsb of 1600

Comment

it SHOULD fly in that board!

Comment

Originally posted by wonderlust View Post
                          it SHOULD fly in that board!
                          that's kind of why i want one because i've heard it good in some boards and i just so happen to pick the right one

Comment

Originally posted by solidsteve View Post
                            that's kind of why i want one because i've heard it good in some boards and i just so happen to pick the right one
                            Congrats!

Sim

Compal Laptop - Intel Centrino Duo

Comment

Working...
                            X