real-world differences 2500K vs. 2600K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaff90110 View Post
    I think they are much different, Pay more about 50 I would go for Core i7 2600k. Or see the link below
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
    That benchmark doesn't actually show anything meaningful.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Grapes View Post
      would be interested to know what was being used to exploit the hyperthreading. i.e. what tasks benefit most from it, when it's used most efficiently (it was pretty crap on P4's TBH)

that could be quite useful. thanks.
      Went trawling through my history () for you. Can't find the one where it explicitly mentioned about the increase, though some of these benches show similar results.
      http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i...600k-review/13

Here are some of the multi-threaded/HyperThreading results:
      DhryStone CPU: 44% better
      Whetstone FPU: 72% better (not sure if this one takes HT into account. 2600 kicks *** though)
      Queen CPU: 37% better
      CineBench: 27% better
      Multi-threaded Video Transcoding: 32% better
      3D Vantage: 36% better

Comment

yeah i had a look at Guru's review.
        I was surprised whetstone was SOOOOOOO much higher than all the others. i'm wondering if the i7 just has better FPU's or if Floating Point calculations specifically benefit massively from HT.
        Ryzen 5 1600:: GA-AB350-Gaming 3:: <some other stuff>
        [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Grapes View Post
          yeah i had a look at Guru's review.
          I was surprised whetstone was SOOOOOOO much higher than all the others. i'm wondering if the i7 just has better FPU's or if Floating Point calculations specifically benefit massively from HT.
          Well HT uses idle resources so benefits everything FPU calculations. See BD also uses like HT too but they have beefed it right up it's like HT on steroids

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

2600K can be had for around 220, why wouldn't you get one? I paid 275 for mine on release and it was worth every penny, blazing fast top end CPU, for 220 its a steal
            Main Rig: i7 3930K|GTX 660 SLI|32GB DDR3|2x 240GB SSD RAID 0 + 2TB|Gigabyte X79 UD5|850W CM SilentProM|27" Shimian LED-IPS QLITE 1440P|
            Steam Box: Xeon 1230 V2|HD 7850 2GB|16GB DDR3 2133mhz|120GB SSD + 240GB SSD|Gigabyte X68|550W Antec PSU|46" Samsung LED LCD|

Comment

Originally posted by Boomstick777 View Post
              2600K can be had for around 220, why wouldn't you get one? I paid 275 for mine on release and it was worth every penny, blazing fast top end CPU, for 220 its a steal
              Because the 2500K is around 70 cheaper. That could be a case, an SSD boot & HDD set-up, or a power supply.

If there's no budget limitation, then of course, get the best you can. But I for can't justify the price difference between the two given their performance in day-to-day tasks.

Comment

Purely from a gaming perspective and excluding any heavy duty photo/video editing etc, from what I have seen and read in various places there is no difference between the i5 and i7. Would this be correct?

Comment

Originally posted by gbh4 View Post
                  Purely from a gaming perspective and excluding any heavy duty photo/video editing etc, from what I have seen and read in various places there is no difference between the i5 and i7. Would this be correct?
                  In my opinion, no - not even close to being correct, and this is from using both with pretty much the same setup with SSD+gtx460. There's more "snap" to the i7, just feels more responsive. I'm not the type to run massive benchmarks, they really mean so little. It's how the system feels to use. i7 is well worth the 70 in my opinion, but I've said that a few times now.

DT.
                  Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
                  Forum Guidelines here

Comment

Ok, I've decided (and ordered...) to go for the i5.

thanks for your input DT (and everyone else), but i just can't justify the 50% premium at this moment... I'll be building a machine for the Father-in-Law soon, so i may be able to convince him that he needs the i5 if i find the CPU doesn't fit my needs....
                    [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Comment

I was going to say go i5 then wait and see what Ivy brings
                      > Lian-Li PC-V33WX > Asus ROG Max VIII Hero > Intel Core i7 6700K s1151 4.0GHz > 850W Corsair HX Series > 8GB GeForce GTX 1080 > 750GB Crucial MX300 2.5 SSD > Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black > Corsair Vengeance 32GB > Edifier S530 > Asus Xonar D2X > Asus PG348Q

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTop View Post
                        In my opinion, no - not even close to being correct, and this is from using both with pretty much the same setup with SSD+gtx460. There's more "snap" to the i7, just feels more responsive. I'm not the type to run massive benchmarks, they really mean so little. It's how the system feels to use. i7 is well worth the 70 in my opinion, but I've said that a few times now.

DT.
                        +1

I would rather spend the extra 70 on the i7 than some other little upgrade elsewhere.
                        Main Rig: i7 3930K|GTX 660 SLI|32GB DDR3|2x 240GB SSD RAID 0 + 2TB|Gigabyte X79 UD5|850W CM SilentProM|27" Shimian LED-IPS QLITE 1440P|
                        Steam Box: Xeon 1230 V2|HD 7850 2GB|16GB DDR3 2133mhz|120GB SSD + 240GB SSD|Gigabyte X68|550W Antec PSU|46" Samsung LED LCD|

Comment

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=287

Very little tbh and the small amount it is better is the 100Mhz advantage it has.

Total waste of money the 2600K.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

I have a friend who swears by the 2600k for his heavy (TV) video editing. The only real world difference appears to be AV transcoding, where the extra cores truly have their effect.
                            As for most other applications, like gaming, they won't make use of the extra two cores. The 2500k has to be one of the best value CPUs on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelMustard View Post
                              I have a friend who swears by the 2600k for his heavy (TV) video editing. The only real world difference appears to be AV transcoding, where the extra cores truly have their effect.
                              As for most other applications, like gaming, they won't make use of the extra two cores. The 2500k has to be one of the best value CPUs on the market.
                              I wonder how the two compare using lucid (and not) on a z68?

As the I7-2600k has a slightly higher dynamic IGP frequency (1.1 to 1.35Ghz)
                              I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

I suppose the real answer to that is going to based on whether or not any of the professional packages make use of quick sync or not. if that were the case, only the GPU would have an effect which is the same between the two K's
                                [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Comment

Working...
                                X