Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• real-world differences 2500K vs. 2600K

just trying to guage some opinion here.

has anyone had any direct real-world usage experience with the difference between the above CPU's?

I'm trying to decide if the premium of the i7 and it's hyperthreading is going to be worth it for me over the i5.

I know either CPU is great and it's ultimately down to me to decide if the extra is worth it for me.

so are there any situations the you've come across where the 8 threads really shine?
    (things i do outside of games: photo editing, video compression, software code compiling - all of which *can* utilise multi threads to a greater or lesser extent)

Cheers
    Ryzen 5 1600:: GA-AB350-Gaming 3:: <some other stuff>
    [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Hyper threading aint all that... Sure it works but it aint worth the extra imo..

Join the fan page -
    https://www.facebook.com/SubZeroPcCooling

Comment

From the research I've done the price difference is not worth the performance gains.
      I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

you'll see gains in anything needing more than 4 threads etc video editing etc will be quicker

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Originally posted by almighty15 View Post
          Hyper threading aint all that... Sure it works but it aint worth the extra imo..
          that was my experience from the P4 era hyperthreading, but benchmarks seem to suggest nehalem and later hyperthreading is a lot better, being able to utilise between 60% and 90% of a full blown core...
          [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Comment

Remember if you're going Z68 you can use the on-chip quick sync technology for video compression which is significantly quicker than both.

IMO, 2500k should rip through most stuff, and even if you're video compressing on P67, the 2500k is hardly a slouch
            --
            Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

for my usage, the benefit is massive. VM's handle the cores one each, compiling code uses all cores, just generally I love the extra power and headroom that I can click what I want when I want.

My old quad did the job, the the 4extra for me was well worth the cash.

DT.
              Please see thread, here for how post reports are dealt with.
              Forum Guidelines here

Comment

I dont think it's worth the premium, it might make things faster but not fast enough to justify the price, might save you a few hours work throughout the year but will that justify and extra 70 squid??? Not for me but then again you probably have more money than me, personally I think it could go towards a new game or something which is going to give you those hours back.

My 2 pence.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTop View Post
                  for my usage, the benefit is massive. VM's handle the cores one each, compiling code uses all cores, just generally I love the extra power and headroom that I can click what I want when I want.
                  DT.
                  Good call with the VM's. I'd forgotten about that. they can do a logical core each? Ooooooooh...
                  Originally posted by MatthewMcEwan View Post
                  might save you a few hours work throughout the year ... I think it could go towards a new game or something which is going to give you those hours back.
                  if it does save me a few hours, that might mean i can actually play some of the games in my steam list that i never seem to have time for

Added after 2 minutes:

Originally posted by Spaceboy View Post
                  Remember if you're going Z68 you can use the on-chip quick sync technology for video compression which is significantly quicker than both.
                  P67 from the 500+ special
                  Last edited by Mr. Grapes; 02-06-11, 15:14. Reason: Auto edit by merge post
                  [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Comment

2500K VS 2600k is..

i5 VS i7

Having the i7 is just cooler
                    Main Rig: i7 3930K|GTX 660 SLI|32GB DDR3|2x 240GB SSD RAID 0 + 2TB|Gigabyte X79 UD5|850W CM SilentProM|27" Shimian LED-IPS QLITE 1440P|
                    Steam Box: Xeon 1230 V2|HD 7850 2GB|16GB DDR3 2133mhz|120GB SSD + 240GB SSD|Gigabyte X68|550W Antec PSU|46" Samsung LED LCD|

Comment

thanks for that
                      [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Comment

I think they are much different, Pay more about 50 I would go for Core i7 2600k. Or see the link below
                        http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Comment

I did see a comparison somewhere and in some tests the 2600 was 44% better than the 2500. Of course though, this wasn't a "real-world" test and was supposed to expose the lack of HyperThreading on the 2500.

Unless you know you don't need it, then go with the 2500K. At the moment, I can't justify the price differential.

Also, just to note, the 2600K has a larger cache too.

Comment

2500K, unless you do a lot of very CPU intensive things like encoding video and what not
                            Galaxy S Club Member 15

i5 2500K | MSI P67A-GD55 | 4GB 1600MHz Mushkin Blackline | Asus GTX 460 in SLI | Mushkin 40GB SSD | 160GB SATA Drive | 1TB Samsung F3| Corsair TX750W | Corsair H50 | CM690 Case

Comment

Originally posted by jaff90110 View Post
                              I think they are much different, Pay more about 50 I would go for Core i7 2600k. Or see the link below
                              http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
                              So for a request for specific real world comparisons, you post a chart from a generic synthetic benchmark.

Added after 3 minutes:

Originally posted by ongy2k3 View Post
                              I did see a comparison somewhere and in some tests the 2600 was 44% better than the 2500. Of course though, this wasn't a "real-world" test and was supposed to expose the lack of HyperThreading on the 2500.
                              would be interested to know what was being used to exploit the hyperthreading. i.e. what tasks benefit most from it, when it's used most efficiently (it was pretty crap on P4's TBH)
                              Originally posted by ongy2k3 View Post
                              Also, just to note, the 2600K has a larger cache too.
                              that could be quite useful. thanks.
                              Last edited by Mr. Grapes; 03-06-11, 10:26. Reason: Auto edit by merge post
                              [STILL BEING BUILT!!!]

Comment

Working...
                              X