X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulldozer prices

Follow the link for bulldozer prices.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/amd-bulld...icing-surface/

I like it. Thinking it's probably worth waiting for this to come down a little in price then go for a full upgrade rather than forking out any more on my current pc.
    Fractal Designs Define XL; Intel i5 2500k; Antec Kuhler 920; 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz RAM; XFX HD5850;
    Corsair TX750M PSU; ASRock z68 Extreme4 Gen3; Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD; Intel 320 120GB SSD; 2 x Samsung 1TB
    & Loving it

Comment

Don't see much detail on the sources. But they do look pretty believable.

Comment

Still eager to see benchmarks!!
        Galaxy S Club Member 15

i5 2500K | MSI P67A-GD55 | 4GB 1600MHz Mushkin Blackline | Asus GTX 460 in SLI | Mushkin 40GB SSD | 160GB SATA Drive | 1TB Samsung F3| Corsair TX750W | Corsair H50 | CM690 Case

Comment

Hmmm i think if intel thought there was any threat from bd then they wouldnt have pushed back ivy.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Originally posted by El Wayneo View Post
            Hmmm i think if intel thought there was any threat from bd then they wouldnt have pushed back ivy.
            +1

I think Intel will allow AMD some breathing space with Bulldozer's release to keep it competitive, then later in the year release Sandy Bridge LGA 2011 6 and 8 cores, this will be enough to beat AMD's top end but not destroy it. Then next year release Ivybridge and destroy anything on the market again with cheap powerful mainstream CPU's that beat all the previous gen like they did with 2500k 2600k over the previous x58 top end.

They do this to milk as much money from the consumer as possible, they release things slowly to keep a steady revenue stream. If they wanted to they could bring Ivybridge forward and destroy AMD's Bulldozer, but this would mean missing out on more revenue from 2011 high end Sandybridge at the end of the year!

Im sticking with my 2600K for as long as possible, then will chuck in an Ivybridge CPU next year, going to miss out on socket LGA 2011 altogether. I see no reason to upgrade, its not as if my 2600K at 4.6GHZ is holding anything back lol.

+ I paid 275 for my 2600k on release day, its already depreciated lol, can get them for around 220 now . Im holding on to this cpu for a while so I get a lot of use out of it, LGA 2011 won't be enough of an upgrade to justify the cost of new Mobo etc for me. Ivybridge will be though, going to 28nm and the new 3D power design is like two years of design upgrades in one, it should be a HUGE upgrade from Sandybridge 1155 and hopefully will slot into my P67 mobo
            Last edited by Boomstick777; 25-05-11, 16:39.
            Main Rig: i7 3930K|GTX 660 SLI|32GB DDR3|2x 240GB SSD RAID 0 + 2TB|Gigabyte X79 UD5|850W CM SilentProM|27" Shimian LED-IPS QLITE 1440P|
            Steam Box: Xeon 1230 V2|HD 7850 2GB|16GB DDR3 2133mhz|120GB SSD + 240GB SSD|Gigabyte X68|550W Antec PSU|46" Samsung LED LCD|

Comment

TBH I think Intel probably NEEDS AMD to not fail too hard, because otherwise the world's various monopoly regulation committees start to get twitchy . Having a legitimate competitor which doesn't really pose any major threat to them is very convenient.

Comment

Without seeing any reviews I really struggle to see how AMD can actually compete?

The chart in the link gives its intel competitor - is that in price point or performance?

With Intel already establishing the benchmark for performance, then surely AMD have missed the boat? To grab market share they need a lower price point for comparative performance to tempt new users.

Comment

If BD is good. The 8 core will be the benchmark beast for a while until Ivy.

Comment

ill be sticking with sandybridge

we all know ivybridge will out perform bulldozer anyway, its just a question of playing the waiting game, and asking, do i actually need to upgrade and change mobo/chipset etc

my answer is nooo

Best Thermal Paste 2017 Comparison

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      If BD is good. The 8 core will be the benchmark beast for a while until Ivy.
                      Not until Ivy.. Only until Socket LGA 2011, I highly doubt even the top end x 8 core FX Bulldozer will outperform the x 4 core 2600k anyway, at least not by much. Otherwise AMD would have priced it much higher?

Intel need only to release another 1155 cpu to stay competitive enough until socket 2011. They could introduce a 2800K for example and still keep the performance lead..

They will probably be fairly even, and keep milking us of our money for the next year anyway, im holding out until Ivybridge 28nm before my next upgrade. Will avoid Bulldzoer and Socket LGA 2011. Can't imagine needing anymore power than 2600K for a long while. Maybe the Unreal 3 engine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgS67BwPfFY) will test it, but that is a long way away..

Main Rig: i7 3930K|GTX 660 SLI|32GB DDR3|2x 240GB SSD RAID 0 + 2TB|Gigabyte X79 UD5|850W CM SilentProM|27" Shimian LED-IPS QLITE 1440P|
                      Steam Box: Xeon 1230 V2|HD 7850 2GB|16GB DDR3 2133mhz|120GB SSD + 240GB SSD|Gigabyte X68|550W Antec PSU|46" Samsung LED LCD|

Comment

As I understand it Ivybridge will work in SB boards?

If thats the case, it would seem prudent to invest in a decent mobo and a 2500k which would be ample good enough for a good while, then see what IB brings to the table.

From this point of view it really looks like AMD need to skip a generation and take a risk and go for the next best thing, as things stand they seem to spend their time playing catch up, and rarely succeeding.

Comment

Originally posted by shawry View Post
                          it would seem prudent to invest in a decent mobo and a 2500k which would be ample good enough for a good while, then see what IB brings to the table.
                          Yeah exactly, I think 2500k/2600k is Intels best value CPU's probably ever, the fact they made the current motherboards compatble with Ivybridge is a good move aswell, gives a long upgrade path. You can grab a P67 mobo for around 80 and a 2500k/2600k for 150/220 awesome value imo. Bulldozer will have to be special to beat that kind of value?
                          Originally posted by shawry View Post
                          From this point of view it really looks like AMD need to skip a generation and take a risk and go for the next best thing, as things stand they seem to spend their time playing catch up, and rarely succeeding.
                          I think AMD are going to do very well in the notebook/laptop market, as well as HTPC and business market with the new cpu range. Intel are dominating the desktop though more than ever becausce now they offer best bang for buck aswell.
                          Last edited by Boomstick777; 25-05-11, 17:28.

Comment

I think I'll wait to see the benchmarks before choosing Bulldozer or SB. Unless Bulldozer is offering substantial performance increases I reckon I'll grab a 2500k

Comment

In most benchmarks, 2500K's perform on a par with 2600K's, as few apps can take advantage of 8 threads.

Won't there be a similar problem with octo-core BD? A few "artificial" benchmarks will register a marked improvement, but "real world"/games won't be optimised for 8 threads/cores. In which case 2500K will continue to be the best all-rounder.

Comment

Working...
                              X