X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q6600 idle temps - 57C

50-60C idle.

...is that too high?

Brief research through Google has people talking about 30C and near 60C under load.

I know my case isn't exhausting too well - so when I fix that it'll help but wondered what you guys thought of the idle temps as is.

I've had no noticeable problems.

Cooling with the Arctic freezer pro 7, rev 2.

Thank you.

Sounds like your cooler isn't fitted properly, make sure all the push pins are firmly in place or possibly reseat it and reapply thermal paste. It is too high just for idle.
    Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
    Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
    i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

Mine hits about 60-65 under full load. Its overclocked to 3.2ghz under a Coolermaster 212+
      Back up and running fully

Comment

Might be worth showing a screenshot of cpuz.
        http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

i7 4960X, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus Sabertooth x79, Sapphire 290 4gb, Win10 pro 64.

Comment

Does sound like your heatsink isnt fitted properly,

what case do you have? what is the airflow like>?
          i7 2600K @ 4.5| Asrock Z68 Extreme4| 16GB 1866Mhz Crucial Ballistix |AMD R9 290| 120GB SSD |Win7 64bit

Comment

Right. Probably my amateur attempt at fitting the cooler. I'll have another go. Foolishly I didn't check temps with the old cooler so couldn't compare.

I'll hoik it off and reapply.

I like mucking around with my computer...but I'm rubbish at it! (find my thread about fitting the new PSU for a laugh at my expense...turning on the computer helped fix my problem)

Thanks for the quick replies. It'll have to wait a couple of days as I have no thermal paste stuff.

I'll screenshot the temps tomorrow as well. I'm on my iPad now.

Comment

What cooler have you got?

Misread the first post lol. Is the bottom of the cooler flat?
              Last edited by UrKo; 23-05-11, 22:48. Reason: Silly me....

Comment

cooler isn't seated correctly

I would remove clean thermal paste off and replace with arctic silver or some other good brand stuff and re-seat the cooler making sure the pushpins are all solid

only time my q6600 see's 60 is under full load

Comment

A little tip don't overdo the thermal paste as it will essentially insulate the processor if to thick.

Comment

temps screen grab (System Information for Windows - SIW)

Comment

are those temps all idle????

even the GPU is high there.

Whats the temp of the room the computer in? What case is it in and how many fans etc does it have?
                      Gigabyte Z77-UP7 : Intel Core i7 3770k @4.2ghz : 16GB Kingston Corsair Vengence 1800mhz : Mushkin 480GB Cronons + OCZ 120GB Vertex 2E SSD : 640GB WD : Corsair HX 850W : GTX Blackice 360 rad Rasa CPU block: Gigabyte R9 290: Coolermaster HAF X :Logitech G15 + G500

Comment

All idle.

The case is an ASUS TA-210. Fairly old now.
                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Ta210-B.../dp/B000O35PX0

The computer is not in the best place as it's sandwiched in a desk with fairly close proximity to the sides. Room temp is fairly cool/shaded.

Currently just one rear fan that's pushing air out. I'm taking delivery of a new fan today so I'm going to have one pulling in, one pushing out.

Thinking of putting the 'exhaust' on the side near the CPU cooler (might need to mod/hack the case slightly) - nearer the top of the case. Cool air in from the back.

Bound to muck it all up - but I'll have fun trying

Comment

If those temps are all at idle, then you need to look at your case airflow, as they all look too high.

I'd want at least 1 front intake, 1 or 2 rear exhausts & if you're putting a fan on the side, it needs to be an intake, blowing on the CPU, not an exhaust.
                          Last edited by IanS; 24-05-11, 09:56.

Comment

far too hot for idle temps.
                            mine, even with the old carp cooler i had on never idled above 33 > 35C

Comment

I'm not sure another 80mm fan is gonna help that much. That case is gonna be very restrictive on air flow.

i7 4960X, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus Sabertooth x79, Sapphire 290 4gb, Win10 pro 64.

Comment

Working...
                              X