Ryzen crashes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryzen crashes

I'm hitting a wall to get this resolved. Since I changed my old i7 950 for a shiny new Ryzen a few months ago. Since then I have been getting random crashes that manifest themselves in this way: The display fails, my screen goes into power saving mode but the sound continues. Sometime the sound dies as well. With the latest BIOS it was very hard to get the GPU to respond again. It took several reboots and clearing of CMOS and basically loads of faffing. With a slightly older BIOS, a reboot cleared the issue but the issue would come back again. Well over the past few days it has got worse. It's crashing daily in this way. It will do it while gaming or not. I am pretty sure it's the board causing it.

I doubt its PSU as it is 750w and gold. It ran perfectly on my old i7 which had a higher power drain.

I am one step away from an RMA.
    My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

All stock? what's in event viewer? bsod codes?

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

All stock, event viewer error Kernal Power 41 so no help lol.
      My local hospital has a sign which reads "This way for accidents and emergencies." Haven't people in hospital got enough to worry about without looking for further misfortune?

Comment

What GPU you using? which motherboard is it? tested with stability testing programs?

ram speed? timings? how many sticks?

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Ryzen 1700. Asus prime x370 pro. 2x8gb corsair ram in qvl amd 290x gpu. Tested with prime over night. Ram is set to default. Everything is default. No overclock.

Comment

Furmark and prime together?

I found timespy is good for checking stability too.

Comment

Not together but separate. The thing is, sometimes it is fine for days on end but yes it had crashed this morning but it didn't yesterday. It's random, it can be under load or not when it crashes, there appears to be no rhyme or reason to it. More often than not, it is not under load when it happens.

Comment

i would look for another psu to check with.

i would also make sure your gpu driver is upto date. one of them from this year had issues with 290x drawing too much from the slot.

but i would look at the psu first as that seems the most common cause of the 41s :/

i like asus real bench for stressing the whole system
                "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                Plato

Comment

This might sound extremely stupid, but check your display cables. Make sure they're absolutely 100% of the way in and when it crashes, wiggle them about to see if the picture returns. I had this issue with a mini DP cable and it lead me to think that my motherboard was faulty. It took over 3 mins to POST and would not go into Windows at all. The DP cable was to blame for all of it due to it being unable to complete the handshake between the GPU and monitor.

Failing that, you did a full reinstall when changing over from the i7, right?
                  ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

It is not the cables. They have been checked and swapped. I even went from HDMI to DVI and nothing.

GPU driver is latest, this makes no difference. I have been through a number of GPU drivers since it started. PSU must be OK as it ran perfectly on a different mobo and CPU which drew a much higher load. All this started with the new CPU.

I have kicked off a clean install at lunch time and I will see how this went when I get back to see if it crashed or not. Not that it will prove anything until I complete the new install or it crashes again.
                    Last edited by Black Knight; 16-09-17, 16:34.

Comment

rereading your op dude it sounds like it is bios related as an older bios did not and the newer does

or am i miss reading it now and it is just one that has gotten worse with time?

if so i would look at the psu degrading.
                      Last edited by luke22; 16-09-17, 16:40.
                      "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                      Plato

Comment

Well, they both crash but the older BIOS is more recoverable from. The new BIOS seemed to lock out the PCIe lanes and the GPU would not come back on without a huge faff. The older one, still crashes the display but a simple reset clears.

Comment

That is extremely weird. Do you have a POST code on your board? I'm not familiar with it.
                          ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Originally posted by Black Knight View Post
                            All stock, event viewer error Kernal Power 41 so no help lol.
                            I have been having this exact issue for about 4 weeks.

PC will suddenly completely freeze, picture stays and sound cuts out. Or occasionally blue screen. Usually happens when gaming.

Usually have to hold power button down to turn off. Then sometimes it will just boot loop and not even get to post. Doing a cold boot gets it back to normal.

While I was troubleshooting I read some posts about a Windows update that had caused this for some people, personally I'm just going to sit on it for now and see if it gets resolved. Turning off my OC (which was stable beforehand) seems to help a little. I've also ran memory tests on the RAM and update drivers (including DDU for GPU).
                            i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

Comment

I am going to try changing the VGA power cable from my PSU to the GPU. Good job it is modular.

Comment

Working...
                              X