X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threadripper unboxing and instaltion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7NZsS8-qCc

Looks like its going to be a major job to install lol

I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

let's be honest here, it's about time they did something to stop people mashing up the pins
    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
    Plato

Comment

Wasn't that Slot A as the anti pin mashing solution?

Originally posted by coiler
      Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

pins on the board! and SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many pins! lol, thats going to go wrong. I foresee CPUs fitting in metal tray upside down, flipped wrong way, and fingers /screwdrivers hitting pins taking cover off

Looks lovely though, what a huge chip

Are the reports on it being a flop for sure?
        Originally posted by Aaron
        I want those sweet cherries

Comment

yes, it sucks and is not smashing intel chips in 90% of workloads for half the price at all
          "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
          Plato

Comment

So there are 4 dies in total, basically 4 Ryzen CPUs but only 1 on either side are connected?
            Pretty much making Thread Ripper a dual CPU in a single package?

Comment

THE THREADRIPPER ARE HERE!! woot:

AMD,16,Core,Ryzen,Threadripper,1950X,Unlocked,Processor,

Comment

Originally posted by Jackster View Post
                So there are 4 dies in total, basically 4 Ryzen CPUs but only 1 on either side are connected?
                Pretty much making Thread Ripper a dual CPU in a single package?
                I read somewhere a few days ago they're actually using epyc cores.

http://www.pcgamer.com/overclocker-d...s-epyc-inside/
                Last edited by FunkY; 04-08-17, 21:14.
                Why did the chicken cross the road?
                To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

that vid debauer did, he pulled it at amd request and it seems like the 32 cores in those images and es chips are not the same as retail.

maybe earlier yields made it a necessity or maybe they were testing 36c64t chip power draw? who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbffGyrkjMM
                  Plato

Comment

another interesting video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpvGYxaMLc0#t
                    I am not losing weight! I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again!

Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional

Comment

seems half the cores are not real, duds to help with heat dissipation.
                      Plato

Comment

They aren't duds. They're purely silicone spacers. Remember that AMD only have a 1% waste with this new method of building CPUs.
                        ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

So basically using same dies as Epyc and disabling same two dies for each TR chip. With option of doing a 32c/64t TR chip eventually by not disabling any of the dies.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

No, Kev. The chips are just silicon spacers, essentially. There's nothing inside of them. AMD confirmed that.
                            ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

They are actual dies that aren't connected on an electrical level I believe is the latest news.

Comment

Working...
                              X