CPU Upgrade advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Upgrade advice

Well there will be a boost in performance. Doing stuff like multitasking.

But there wont be much difference in the gaming performance.

So.. you really need to ask yourself a couple of questions:

Have i got the ?

Do i do a lot of multitasking?

Is my Opteron really that slow?

If i wait longer, will the prices drop again?

[Removed at the request of the author]

Comment

Re:

[quote:f6d53fbda0=\"L B \"]
      Is that what you'd personally do?

Thanks dude 8)[/quote:f6d53fbda0]

I would stick with the Opteron for now.

But look around Ebay ect... to see how much Opterons sell for.

Then say if its only a 20 - 40 upgrade then i would go for it 8)

Comment

Re:

[quote:09d3326c29=\"L B \"]Thats exactly what i'm thinking, i'm mainly getting my system ready for something like Crysis....but my Opteron is a 3800 64 which is ok at the moment (i think anyway).

So I wouldn't really need it till dec/Jan time...by which i'd \"assume\" the prices would of dropped a bit by then.

But then I though, didn't amd drop prices to get rid of stock?
        So once they've sold all the Athlon X2's will they be making any more?

But what i'm thinking is maybe wait till christmas time and see how much something like the 4200 X2's are.

Is that what you'd personally do?

Thanks dude 8)[/quote:09d3326c29]

Well an Athlon X2 3800 is 2x3200's. When the first core is under full load in a game such as Crysis, I would imagine the second core then kicks into action giving you 6.4Ghz to play with.

I'm building a new pc so I'm getting mine straight away, trying to save up for an X2 4600 (2x3800's/7.6Ghz) or a 4200. I don't see why you couldn't go dual-core now and sell your Opteron. There will be a demand for your processor, I don't know how high that would be, but you should make a fair bit back on it.

As for your comment on getting rid of the Socket 939 stock; I also read that somewhere too. Aren't they clearing the lines for the AM2's? I doubt the prices would have fallen much more by Christmas anyway. Some X2's have been cut nearly half in price as it is.
        C2D E6300 : Foxconn P9657AA-8EKRS2H : 2GB Corsair DDR2-667 : Sapphire X1650XT : 320GB Seagate 16MB 7200.10

Comment

Re:

[quote:a40d466e80=\"Gregoroth\"]
          Well an Athlon X2 3800 is 2x3200s'. When the first core is under full load in a game such as Crysis, I would imagine the second core then kicks into action giving you 6.4Ghz to play with.

I'm building a new pc so I'm getting mine straight away, trying to save up for an X2 4600 now. (2x3800's/7.6Ghz). I don't see why you couldn't go dual-core now and sell your Opteron. There will be a demand for your processor, I don't know how high that would be, but you should make a fair bit back on it, if not most of it.[/quote:a40d466e80]

To my knowledge this is wrong. Most games/programs at this current time do cannot use both cores, so they will be running on just one core still. 8)

[quote:a40d466e80=\"Gregoroth\"]
          I doubt the prices would have fallen much more by Christmas anyway. Some X2's have been cut nearly half in price as it is.[/quote:a40d466e80]

Every little helps.

Comment

Comment

Re:

[quote:e0a31b4080=\"L B \"]

It's about 35-40 upgrade exactly [/quote:e0a31b4080]

Then i guess its up to you whether you want to part with 35-40.

But if it was me then yeah i would go for it 8)

Comment

If you can afford to do it then go for it, i recon you could sell your 148 for pretty much what the X2 3800 would cost so the \"upgrade\" would essentially cost little to nothing.

Right this is the way i understand how dual core works..

At the moment as rightly pointed out there aren't alot of applications / games that FULLY (and this is the important bit) utilise dual core BUT a a dual core cpu will still give a slight performance boost over a single core running the same application. This is where i start to get a bit foggy tbh what happens is windows \"moves\" all the background tasks over to one core and the game / appliction / whatever is in need of lots oc cpu powerbasically gets a whole core to it's self therfore will run slightly better than on a single core cpu which is running said task AND all the background shizzle too. Like i said this maynot be 100% correct but this is essentially they way things happen as i understand it.

Also if you playing your fav game and your viruschecker kicks in you wont notice as the game wont slow down much if at all (have this happen to me alot on my 165 and never notice happening till i come to load a new level then its bit slower loading as the virus checker hogs the hdd :roll: )
                Laptop: i7-3610QM~16GB~GT635M
                Gamer: i7 3820 @ 4.4Ghz~MSI X79A-GD65~16GB Redline 2133~HIS R290(X)~TT A90~CM SILENT PRO 1000w~U2713HM.
                Canon 5D Mk3 16-35 F4L / 24-105L / 180mmL / 70-200 2.8L IS II / Sigma 50mm f1.4DG / Sigma 150-600 Sport / 2x 430EXii (Me on 500px)

Comment

Every Little Helps 8)

Comment

Comment

Comment

Wicked mate!!

You find a buyer for your opteron?

Comment

Re:

Nice improvement there then Robin, i still haven't got round to installing mine yet, been busy messing with other things but hopefully will get it fitted soon.

[quote:8892d816cf=\"PrivatePyle\"]lol @ mac. good use of \"shizzle\" mate [/quote:8892d816cf]

Laptop: i7-3610QM~16GB~GT635M
                          Gamer: i7 3820 @ 4.4Ghz~MSI X79A-GD65~16GB Redline 2133~HIS R290(X)~TT A90~CM SILENT PRO 1000w~U2713HM.
                          Canon 5D Mk3 16-35 F4L / 24-105L / 180mmL / 70-200 2.8L IS II / Sigma 50mm f1.4DG / Sigma 150-600 Sport / 2x 430EXii (Me on 500px)

Comment

75 aint too bad. I reckon if you would of sold it before the price cuts,

You would of seen a vast improvement 8)

Comment

Right you've all convinced me, Im trading in my Athlon 64 3200+ for a X2 4200+ as soon as pay day arrives

The wife wont be happy - but what she doesnt know.....

PB
                              Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, Intel Core2Duo 6550, 3Gb Dual Channel DDR2 800 RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD 2600XT 512Mb, Audigy 2 NX, Windows XP Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X