Watercooling spring clean

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watercooling spring clean

So...I've been suffering a little high CPU temps for the last few days and the PSU fan seems to be ramping up, so decided to investigate it a little further as its been a while since I last changed the coolant and the system BSOD's when I try and run it under prime as temps are redonkulous!

Idle temps

Load temps (stopped before it BSOD)

Upon closer inspection, the coolant seems a little off colour and has seen better days. Spotted a fair bit of dust on the inside too!

Off the CPU comes and a good wipe with isopropyl so ensure none of the old hydronaught is on there.

Whilst I was there, I took the CPU block apart and cleaned out the gunk that had built up.

Gave the GPU a clean and some new thermal paste too!

Now... I think I might have found a bit part of the problem...

Nothing a good clean can't sort

and the difference in colour is huuuuuuuge!

Ran in to some more problems though, it seems the hydronaught and kryonaught I had on my desk seems to have expired or not work well with my setup as temps were still unreasonable and hitting high 90's under load, look at this idle temps!

No issues on the GPU though...

Now, its really warm here today so I expected worse results but here's where I'm at now with some Noctua NT-H1 on the CPU - at idle.

i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Is the CPU delidded or not? I'd have hoped to see some lower temps.

It's mad how your coolant changed colour, though... but that's to be expected using those sorts of coolants.
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Nope, its not de-lided and temps are much better now the ambient temp has dropped and its a cool evening. It was much warmer and humid earlier today.
      i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

yeah, dust bunnies love to live in those rad fins. mine was something like that after the winter. i blame us using the tumble drier at that time of year

big props and much love for the images dude
        "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
        Plato

Comment

105c on some of the CPU temps. Thats pretty high for a CPU.
          GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

i would guess it was throttling tbh bud, but it is a guess as i never abused an ivy

haswell and skylake both throttle before that and shutdown in the 105/115 range
            Last edited by luke22; 25-05-17, 11:29.
            "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
            Plato

Comment

If it got much higher than that, it would BSOD to protect itself.

I need to take the GPU block apart and check that for gunk too but I'll do that another day.

Comment

If your CPU block was that gunked and restricted, you can bet your GPU block is just as bad. I'd hazard a guess that once you sort that out, you'll see temps that are much more reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bing View Post
                  If your CPU block was that gunked and restricted, you can bet your GPU block is just as bad. I'd hazard a guess that once you sort that out, you'll see temps that are much more reasonable.
                  Yes and possibly the pump also will be gunked up too.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

I'll buy some more DI water over the weekend so I can clean and rinse everything properly .

Doesn't help that its 27C out at the moment either

Comment

Wow, i didn't expect the coolant to change colour! It looks like it has a tinge of oil in it so it explains why it does change.

Originally posted by Aria
                      On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

I am just surprised that no one has recommended a carbon clean and a remap yet.
                        Gaming PC: GTX 680 | FX-8320 | 12GB | Asus Crosshair Formula IV | Crucial BX100 250gb and OCZ Agility 3 60gb |1.5tb Storage| Fractal Design Arc R2 | Enermax 700w | Custom Watercooling
                        Laptop: HP Elitebook 2570p - i5 2.8Ghz, 8gb Phone: Huawei P8

Comment

Originally posted by A Ginger Sheep View Post
                          I am just surprised that no one has recommended a carbon clean and a remap yet.
                          Yea it clearly needs a VAG
                          GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Working...
                          X