• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• michaelkenward
    replied
    Originally posted by BUDFORCE View Post
    Ohhhh handbags at 50 paces!
    Time to come up with another way to cover your derrier?

Better idea, leave things to the grown ups.

Leave a comment:

• BUDFORCE
    replied
    Originally posted by michaelkenward View Post
    The classic response from someone uttering, pardon my French, beaux locks.
    Ohhhh handbags at 50 paces!

Leave a comment:

• michaelkenward
    replied
    Originally posted by Sarky View Post
    I always assumed more fans = more noise, maybe not then!
    Me too.

But I chip in only to say that fan noise really does seem to have plummeted since I first built a PC – something like 20 years ago – and it sounded like I was sitting at the end of the runway at Gatwick.

Once upon a time there were sites dedicated to the idea of silent computing. Do they still exist?

Leave a comment:

• michaelkenward
    replied
    Ohhhhhhh handbags at 50 paces. Lol.
    The classic response from someone uttering, pardon my French, beaux locks.

Leave a comment:

• michaelkenward
    replied
    Metal expanding and contracting under temperature change is just theory yes.
    No. It is science.

The expansion of a chunk of metal depends on the rise in temperature.

It is why they used to put gaps in railway lines. But that was to cope with temperatures that wobbled between ~-10 and ~+ 40 with lumps of steel many metres, sorry yards, long.

The idea that a temperature change of 10 would cause havoc in a PC case is entertaining but outside the window of sensible concern. Not least because the stuff inside the case is free to move and because the people who design these things aren't dim.

Leave a comment:

• Bing
    replied
    No handbags here kid.

Leave a comment:

• BUDFORCE
    replied
    Ohhhhhhh handbags at 50 paces. Lol.

Leave a comment:

• Bing
    replied
    He's running a 7600K, not overclocked at present and doesn't game.... it's not a 130W TDP part needing a litre of fresh air every second, so no need to be a clown...

Leave a comment:

• Sarky
    replied
    I only have a single fan for intake and one for exhaust on the top, even though my case supports more. I don't see the need for so many personally, my PC runs cool enough even when gaming and I'm happy with the noise levels.

I always assumed more fans = more noise, maybe not then!

Leave a comment:

• BUDFORCE
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bing
    replied
    Exactly Mike. In this guy's circumstances, there is absolutely ZERO need for extra fans, let alone a fan controller....

Leave a comment:

• michaelkenward
    replied
    Originally posted by Bing View Post
    If you don't game, don't bother with the extra fans then.
    Indeed. I suspect that some of the "turn it into a wind tunnel" messages date back to the era of horribly inefficient CPUs and memory, when we had to buy ever bigger power supplies and, in extreme cases, to contemplate water cooling.

With efficiency higher all round, the need for multiple fans seems to have abated. And that can only be good for reducing noise.

I have just installed a twin-fan graphics card. You can barely hear it. So no more need to look around for cards with passive cooling.

Lots of theorising going on here, back with not much evidence. Cases expanding? That needs a massive temperature change.

Leave a comment:

• omega
    replied
    If you're stressing the CPU with video editing, maybe look at improving your CPU cooler (212 is quite a small cooler IIRC).

I think my fan controller is the NZXT Sentry Mix, it's a really basic one with 6 sliders.

Leave a comment:

• Spaceboy
    replied
    More fans = quieter system... the theory behind that is that to move the same amount of air, more fans can spin slower which makes less noise than less fans spinning faster.

Of course if you have to open up your case to install more fans that may let noise escape - Eg: if your roof mount is currently sealed and you'd need to remove a part of sound-deadening to install a fan, then I'd probably forgo the fan at the roof to keep the sound from escaping

Leave a comment:

• Mangomonkey
    replied
    Meh, for the price of fans and a fan controller.

Most computer components of mostly made of metal. Metal contracts and expands as it heats and cools. This contraction and expeansion stretches everything, and the more stretched the more current needs to go through to maintain the connections, more current means more heat, and your expansion and contraction expidites.

Keeping everything cooler reduces this effect. Or in other words, heat is the killer of PC components.

Although to some degree (no pun intended hoho) I do agree with the above post, no gaming or overclocking, you PC wont work as hard and lets face it, most computer components are designed to work for years under certain temperatures wighout being in fancy cases with lots of airflow, so overkill, maybe? But, if it were me, I know I would sleep better at night knowing I did what I could to preserve the longevity of my precious hardware and also that I had options for overclocking etc in the future, if I so desired.
    Yeah that sounds wise to me. With video editing, my current computer gets hot (especially during renders). Any recommendations on fan controllers?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X