No announcement yet.

How many fans and where?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're stressing the CPU with video editing, maybe look at improving your CPU cooler (212 is quite a small cooler IIRC).

I think my fan controller is the NZXT Sentry Mix, it's a really basic one with 6 sliders.
    Originally posted by coiler
    He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
    Originally posted by BigIan88
    turn off that sexy nonsense
    Originally posted by Salad Soup
    turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

Originally posted by Bing View Post
      If you don't game, don't bother with the extra fans then.
      Indeed. I suspect that some of the "turn it into a wind tunnel" messages date back to the era of horribly inefficient CPUs and memory, when we had to buy ever bigger power supplies and, in extreme cases, to contemplate water cooling.

With efficiency higher all round, the need for multiple fans seems to have abated. And that can only be good for reducing noise.

I have just installed a twin-fan graphics card. You can barely hear it. So no more need to look around for cards with passive cooling.

Lots of theorising going on here, back with not much evidence. Cases expanding? That needs a massive temperature change.
      Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
      Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
      Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Exactly Mike. In this guy's circumstances, there is absolutely ZERO need for extra fans, let alone a fan controller....

Comment

Metal expanding and contracting under temperature change is just theory yes.
          GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

I only have a single fan for intake and one for exhaust on the top, even though my case supports more. I don't see the need for so many personally, my PC runs cool enough even when gaming and I'm happy with the noise levels.

I always assumed more fans = more noise, maybe not then!
            Main Rig: A8 7670k @4.5GHz // Gigabyte F2A88-XM D3H // 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz // Sapphire Nitro R9 380 // Samsung 850 250GB // Samsung F3 500GB // EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 // Dell U2312HM // Zowie EC2
            Dell Inspiron 15 Special Edition:
            i7 3612QM // 6GB RAM // 7730M // Samsung 840 250GB // Backlit K/B // 1080p Panel // Soundblaster Evo Wireless

Comment

Originally posted by BUDFORCE View Post
              He's running a 7600K, not overclocked at present and doesn't game.... it's not a 130W TDP part needing a litre of fresh air every second, so no need to be a clown...

Comment

Ohhhhhhh handbags at 50 paces. Lol.
                GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

No handbags here kid.

Comment

No. It is science.

The expansion of a chunk of metal depends on the rise in temperature.

It is why they used to put gaps in railway lines. But that was to cope with temperatures that wobbled between ~-10 and ~+ 40 with lumps of steel many metres, sorry yards, long.

The idea that a temperature change of 10 would cause havoc in a PC case is entertaining but outside the window of sensible concern. Not least because the stuff inside the case is free to move and because the people who design these things aren't dim.
                    Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
                    Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
                    Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Ohhhhhhh handbags at 50 paces. Lol.
                      The classic response from someone uttering, pardon my French, beaux locks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarky View Post
                        I always assumed more fans = more noise, maybe not then!
                        Me too.

But I chip in only to say that fan noise really does seem to have plummeted since I first built a PC – something like 20 years ago – and it sounded like I was sitting at the end of the runway at Gatwick.

Once upon a time there were sites dedicated to the idea of silent computing. Do they still exist?

Comment

Originally posted by michaelkenward View Post
                          The classic response from someone uttering, pardon my French, beaux locks.
                          Ohhhh handbags at 50 paces!
                          GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Ohhhh handbags at 50 paces!
                            Time to come up with another way to cover your derrier?

Better idea, leave things to the grown ups.

Comment

He's as sharp as a marble mate. Don't waste your time. There's not enough crayons in the world to help explain thermodynamics to him.

Comment

Yea nice guys. Friendly forum here.
                                GIVE PEAS A CHANCE

Comment

Working...
                                X