Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC too loud!

Hi guys,

My PC is currently housed in a Phanteks Enthoo Pro. Specs are in my sig!

Obviously with an SLI setup I'm aware that I'll have some heat and noise during gaming, however, my idle noise is far too loud for my liking!

I currently have an unbranded AIO unit cooling my i5, keeping my temps pretty cool. On this, I am using a push/pull config with 2 Corsair SP fans. I also have a 120mm case fan at the top, and another 120mm on the hdd bracket. Both of those are Corsair 120 AF's.

All of these are hooked up to a NZXT Sentry mix 2. Due to the fact that MSI's on board options are pitiful.

Personally I think that the fan controller itself isn't quiet enough on minimum? Should I get another fan controller, or are there voltage adapters or something similar I can connect the fans through?

Or are there any viable OS based fan controllers?

Thanks a load!
    Phanteks Enthoo Pro | i7-5280K | H55 | Asus Sabertooth X99 | EVGA 780 ACX SLI | 16GB Corsair LP DDR4 | 750W Corsair CX PSU | SAMSUNG EVO 250GB | Seagate 2TB HDD | DT 770 Pro | Logitech G600 | Corsair K95

What PSU are you using? The rest of the items are pretty good for noise.

Originally posted by Aria
    On reflection though, as I am taking a bath, listening to "Rain of blessing-vajra chant" while typing on the iPad

Comment

Originally posted by M4T VW View Post
      What PSU are you using? The rest of the items are pretty good for noise.
      Corsair CX750W, which was meant as a stop gap, however the noise on that was too much, so I replaced the fan with a noctua one!

As you've said, all the parts are quiet ones, maybe I'm being overly finnicky, or perhaps the fan controller is just too high at it's minimum setting
      Phanteks Enthoo Pro | i7-5280K | H55 | Asus Sabertooth X99 | EVGA 780 ACX SLI | 16GB Corsair LP DDR4 | 750W Corsair CX PSU | SAMSUNG EVO 250GB | Seagate 2TB HDD | DT 770 Pro | Logitech G600 | Corsair K95

Comment

vrm keep those cards warm, in sli it will be worse :/

people go on about how amd cards are hot, loud and power hungry but the big cored nvidia cards are just the same.
        "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
        Plato

Comment

Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
          vrm keep those cards warm, in sli it will be worse :/

people go on about how amd cards are hot, loud and power hungry but the big cored nvidia cards are just the same.
          As above, I expect some considerable heat and noise whilst gaming, the case and fans are big enough to deal with it when they're on full blast! And indeed during idle everything is pretty cool.

But when I'm trying to watch films or just browse the web, it's far too loud!

Comment

water cooling is what you want but unless you get it out the box your **** outa luck should you need the warranty.
            "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
            Plato

Comment

Even water cooling is going to use fans though. Ok, only on the rad but its choosing the right fans that is important.

Comment

It's about getting the airflow correct and get good fans. Watercooling isn't the answer to everything, it actually adds more noise with the pump and water trickling sound. Air coolers can be 100% silent by being passively cooled, watercooler pump always has to be running.

Give us a sketch of how you have setup the fans and the direction you think the air is flowing. Are there any fans working against each-other? disconnect fans one by one and find which one is the nosiest and work from there.

My silent setup is in Silverstone FT02, all fans are thermal controlled by Tbalancer BigNG. When idle or normal usage, only 3 fans out of total of 8 are spinning, apart from the 1 PSU fan, other 2 are 180mm fans at 300rpm, practically silent, furthest away from me. Before I upgraded to 970, idling 580 fan was the most noisy component, I found the fan-stop feature helped a lot.
                i7 2700k \ 16GB \ GTX 970 \ D2x \ Z68x-UD5 \ m4 128GB +2TB \ S12G-550 \ FT02-RW \ G15+G5+G51 \ U2711
                X100 \ X-E2 \ 10-24 \ 55-200 \ 18/2 \ 60/2.4 \ Yn560 \ X1.1a \ Hadley Pro -- Photostreamr

Comment

that's the thing wyx, he has the equivalent of 2 580 that need active cooling just to function. not easy to do on the quiet :/
                  Plato

Comment

that's the thing wyx, he has the equivalent of 2 580 that need active cooling just to function. not easy to do on the quiet :/
                    Only when gaming. When web surfing/watching video surely they should cut power consumption and quiet down. 780's idle consumption is less than 580 (according to this) so try to find a way to slow down fan speed of GPU cooler when idling?
                    i7 2700k \ 16GB \ GTX 970 \ D2x \ Z68x-UD5 \ m4 128GB +2TB \ S12G-550 \ FT02-RW \ G15+G5+G51 \ U2711
                    X100 \ X-E2 \ 10-24 \ 55-200 \ 18/2 \ 60/2.4 \ Yn560 \ X1.1a \ Hadley Pro -- Photostreamr

Comment

Originally posted by wuyanxu View Post
                      Only when gaming. When web surfing/watching video surely they should cut power consumption and quiet down. 780's idle consumption is less than 580 (according to this) so try to find a way to slow down fan speed of GPU cooler when idling?
                      Yeah, I have a fan curve so the fans run at minimum until about 60C, thus they do spin at the minimum speed until I do something intensive. Weird thing is though, my 780's are on different BIOS versions, and one has a minimum speed of 29%, and the other 39%, despite them both being physically the same model

As I've mentioned, the cooling performance under load is pretty good, nothing is overheating at all, and I mainly use headphones during gaming anyway.

Nevertheless, here is my (Very poorly drawn) Config

At this moment in time, I have unhooked the front 200mm, and one each of the 120mm from both the front and top, to alleviate the noise somewhat.

I'm starting to think maybe the NZXT controller I have is just pumping out too high speeds even at the lowest setting...

Comment

Maybe some better fans would solve your problem but, a good fan controller would also be a good move

Comment

fans blowing up from the bottom can help with gpu temps.

i would check the vgabios revisions as it sounds like they're different.
                          Plato

Comment

fans blowing up from the bottom can help with gpu temps.

i would check the vgabios revisions as it sounds like they're different.
                            Yeah I think they are, I was about to flash one of the bioses, but I got an incompatibility error that scared the hell out of me

The fans always run at their minimum on idle though, one on 39% and the other on 29%, can't go any lower, through either Evga precision or afterburner.

Comment

The EVGA ACX GPU blows at itself and hot air goes out of both ends of the card, reverse of what you've drawn.

As marsey said, put fans on the bottom, perhaps move the 2x 120mm fans to the bottom. They are not doing much at the moment, they just move the air already in the case slightly further in, even working against the GPU exhaust.

But try running with minimal configuration and add one bit at a time to see which component is making the most noise. Minimal: 1 CPU AIO cooler fan, no case fans, one graphics card.

My guess is the graphics cards, when my EVGA ACX2 fans are spinning on 970, I can hear it faintly.

Comment

Working...
                              X