Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is used to tell cases to spin?

Hello,

Bit of daft headline but what exactly happens with case fans? i have four in total (bit of a mish mash of fans) and they all connect to 2 4 pin split cables from 2 4 pin fan headers with 2 in one and 2 in the other but these are all three pin fans

I currently have them set to spin at 50% and then if the temp goes above 70% then go gradually to 100% but what is this temp taken from?

Shirley // AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6GHz - MSI R9 285 Gaming OC - MSI Gaming 970 mobo - 8GB Mushkin Frostbyte - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 - Windows 10 //

That is usually up to you since there are temperature sensors all over.
    GPU,CPU,CASE,MOBO,DISKS,Power Supply,Air.
    Not all in all cases? but......
    I've not failed. I've just found 10.000 ways that don't work!
    Dave Burnett

Comment

i have the SPEC - 02 case from corsair and mobo is MSI gaming 970 but what i would want to know is what temps are used, is it from the heat of the motherboard? does it take into account the CPU? GPU? etc

Shirley // AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6GHz - MSI R9 285 Gaming OC - MSI Gaming 970 mobo - 8GB Mushkin Frostbyte - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 - Windows 10 //

Comment

Hi mate
        most sensors are situated on specific components and primarily the motherboard .. however i remember one case i had which had a temperture readout on the front and this had a small sensor on the end of a long wire,and this was fitted as close as possible to the cpu socket ... obviously you cant place it between the cpu and mobo but attached to the heatsink would be ideal ... however thats why motherboard sensors are more reliable as the modified sensors wont give a true temperture
        pc fans are not a exact science ... i recently had 2 x side fans blowing into my case and 2 exhuasts ( 1 rear and 1 x top ) .. another intake at the front and my cpu temp was 39c ... i then needed to remove the 2 side fans due to a gpu upgrade and guess what .. the cpu fan is 39c ....
        personally im a big fan of front intake/rear exhuast configuration ..... done correctly and this is as good as any case with 10 fans ....
        speedfan is by far the best software if you want to set fans to speed at certain speeds or times ... this uses motherboard/cpu/gpu and hard drive sensors and is extremely reliable !
        hope this helps !
        Intel core i5 3330 3.0ghz,8GB XMS3 1333MHZ (2 X 4GB),MSI R9 270x,128gb SSD (boot) + 1tb wd sata ,msi z77a-g41 mobo,asus xonar dgx ,520w seasonic psu,aerocool xpredator x1 devil red chassis

Comment

Originally posted by brianthesnail View Post
          Hi mate
          most sensors are situated on specific components and primarily the motherboard .. however i remember one case i had which had a temperture readout on the front and this had a small sensor on the end of a long wire,and this was fitted as close as possible to the cpu socket ... obviously you cant place it between the cpu and mobo but attached to the heatsink would be ideal ... however thats why motherboard sensors are more reliable as the modified sensors wont give a true temperture
          pc fans are not a exact science ... i recently had 2 x side fans blowing into my case and 2 exhuasts ( 1 rear and 1 x top ) .. another intake at the front and my cpu temp was 39c ... i then needed to remove the 2 side fans due to a gpu upgrade and guess what .. the cpu fan is 39c ....
          personally im a big fan of front intake/rear exhuast configuration ..... done correctly and this is as good as any case with 10 fans ....
          speedfan is by far the best software if you want to set fans to speed at certain speeds or times ... this uses motherboard/cpu/gpu and hard drive sensors and is extremely reliable !
          hope this helps !
          Appreciated, yeah reading into it a little more i have come to the conclusion that its not exact science as you mentioned

Comment

Generally if you want to be able to fine-control the fans on your case such that they are reacting properly to temperature variations inside the case the best bet would be to get a dedicated fan controller which includes sensor probes etc.

As to which temperature the motherboard uses, I would guess it's normally the temperature of the CPU chipset itself?

Generally though basic settings are fine unless you are overclocking and cooling via air.

Comment

i looked into the NZXT + fan controller but the minimal amount of fans that i use it seemed pointless as the unit looks huge for a number of fans to be attached

i have two 4 pin slitters in running from 4 pin on the mobo and it has quietened the PC down and then it ramps ups whilst gaming but just wondering what the fans are speeding up for what temp is it basing it off

Comment

Working...
              X