Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fractal R5 Black (No Window)

Well, where to begin....

Hit buy yesterday around 15:00pm and at 10:00 today the R5 case appeared in the hands of the DPD driver, a quick finish up in SHK and shut the PC down by 10:15.

Strip the old box down (NZXT Hades that's served well for 5 years or so) clean everything up (2 air dusters and a lot of work for the Dyson on the surroundings)

Removed the upper drive cage, moved the 140mm fan to the bottom front (Behind the drives) and added a 120mm fractal fan I have had sitting about for months) and for the first time in my life actually had a go at playing with the cable management....

Well the rubber grommets stay in even when you have to really push to get that last cable through, the SSD's mounting behind the MB is a great spot ad there is oodles of space there to hide all the excess cabling. The velcro straps supplied could do with being another cm or 2 longer but are usable even with my 2 thumbed hands, loads of tie-down points for cable ties too.

So everything in headers connected, power up and what a difference, the hovercraft down the side if the desk is gone, the TV is 4 notches lower and I'm in shock as to just how quiet it really is. (just where did 5 hours go!)

(Just need a new PSU now, the old Corsair TX has 2 headers full of Molex plugs i don't need any more and actually find myself without the optical drive till i get a Molex to SATA converter/New PSU, tho just to keep it tidy i might just grab an external optical for the 3 times a year i need one)

Do i recommend it? Oh heck yes, without a shadow of a doubt.

http://prntscr.com/8h1jxn
    0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds for 4500 !

eyeballing this case the now, but price wise im thinking buying the h440 or the h340s from nzxt
    Alienware m15x I Intel Core i7 720qm I 8gb Kingston DDR3 I AMD M6000 2gb (7870m) I Full 1080 I Intel 3160AC wifi

RIG I Zalman z3 I Evga 600b I Intel core i5 3570k@Stock I Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-b3 I 8gb DDR3 1600mhz Exceleram I Amd XFX R9 290 4gb@1000/1300 NZXT Kraken with corsair h55 AIO I 1tb Samsung spinpoint / 500gb Hitachi deskstar

Comment

concur lovely case Great write up
      Originally posted by Aaron
      I want those sweet cherries

Comment

Just moved into a black R5 myself! I will try to get a picture up

I found the SSD mounts behind the motherboard to add a few degrees to their temperatures so I'm running both mine in a double 2.5 to 3.5 bracket in the lower hard drive cage now (along with two 3.5 drives).

EDIT: Found a picture:

The SSDs were still behind motherboard at this point and I've since replaced the fan at the back with another Fractal 140mm.
        Last edited by Joshimitsu91; 02-11-15, 12:49.
        i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

Comment

My R4 Window White

Run the SSD in the 3.5 tray

Comment

got the R3 and its a great case
            i5 2500K, Asus P8Z68-v/Gen3, Onboard gpu ,16gb Geil Black dragon, 250gb Samsung 850, 4.5tb storage, Asus Xonar D2 , Fractal R3, Dell U2312HM

Comment

Got the R4 to replace the missus' PC case a while back, loved it, will almost certainly get an R4 or R5 next time I feel like replacing my own PC's case.

Comment

Still rocking my Arc Midi

Comment

Modded my Define R2 to 140mm fans and put magnetic filters on bottom so I could clean them without having to pule it way for the *&+@ wall to clean them.

One of the nicest things about R5 is the bottom filter slides out the front.
                  No miserable #*& have to pull case away from wall to clean filters.

Comment

Originally posted by doyll View Post
                    Modded my Define R2 to 140mm fans and put magnetic filters on bottom so I could clean them without having to pule it way for the *&+@ wall to clean them.

One of the nicest things about R5 is the bottom filter slides out the front.
                    No miserable #*& have to pull case away from wall to clean filters.

R4 the same with that lower PSU filter Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Comment

Working...
                    X