noisy fan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noisy fan

when i first built my PC a few months back it ran nion silently, but last night i was streaming TV (vikings FYI) and the rear fan was noisy where it hadnt been before

it is a stock case fan that i havent tampered with at all

im new to all this, any ideas why its suddenly become noisy?

Cleaned it out recently? It's either full of dust/fluff causing overheating if you've not cleaned it so the fans running faster to compensate, or if you've cleaned it recently then some muck may have got lodged in to the fan... Or the bearings are failing. You can try and clean it and see if that helps, sometimes gently pressing the fan back into the housing helps, but quite often with generic case fans it's put up with the noise or replace the fan time.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?
    To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

i cant imagine it getting dusty as it is at near the top of the back panel of the case

i imagine its just died

ill get shopping

Comment

but that might be my lack of imagination by the way, ive not cleaned it since i built it end of jan

how often should i clean it? are there any other weekly/monthly/etc tasks i should perform to keep it running smooth?

Comment

Who is the case by?..... some stock fans are really low quality lol.... as the Snakemeister points out...replace with some good uns....

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...6+Cooling/Fans
          posted by scrivz69
          I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
          i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

zalman R1

i dont think aria stock it anymore

Comment

Most disappointing. I saw the subject and expected to find a lively discussion about today's developments with One Direction.

Rumour has it that Jeremy Clarkson and Zayn Malik are swapping jobs.
              Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
              Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
              Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

I seen that on twitter too michael....lol

As per the OP. Yes it may just be low quality fans...

The system I built at the start of jan hasnt been cleaned inside since i got it but thats because ive got filters and all i do is wipe the front to remove dust will get the air gun out in 4 months time if its needed...lol but ive switched my system off once....apart from restarts and such its been running constant and my bequiet fans are still as silent as ever...but they were 14 per fan lol. Case fans doing fine as well....i got the sharkoon bulldozer.

Have a look at bequiet silent wings...well worth the money!

Edit: youd be surprised where dust gets btw, the fan parts themselves may be of ok quality but the seals near the barings may have already worn from constant use? If you have ran it constant...so the barings may have started to wear and thus more noise or lubricant has evaporated/leaked which will also cause more noise...all that is pointless really. Just cheap fans as most cases come with lol
                Last edited by jacknm2; 25-03-15, 22:32.
                Inte l i7 4790k 4.4Ghz / Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 / G .Skill TridentX 16GB DDR3 2400MHz / Gigabyte GTX980ti Xtreme Gaming 6GB / 128GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD / 1TB Samsung 850 Evo SSD / 2TB Seagate HDDx2 / iiayama 40" 4K LED Monitor / Asus 27" 1080p Gaming LCD / Corsair Scimitar RGB Mouse - Corsair Strafe RGB Keyboard / Logitech 5.1 speskers - Corsair Vengance Gaming headset H2100

Comment

Quite often some dust/dirt will get stuck in the hub and make a similar noise to a worn bearing, I usually wash them out and then give 'em a few drips of light oil to lubricate the seals when they're dry, they usually soldier on for a few more years then.

Comment

I'm surprised it's making noise already, even the lower end fans supplied with cases tend to last a little longer than that.

i suspect someone has hit the nail on the head with the dust scenario, be careful with the oil application, i think there was some youtube videos around on how to do this, sometimes there are caps on the centre section you can remove to oil under, other times not. Get an air duster or if you can use a small air compressor to supply the feed.

They can of course change pitch as they wear over time, and this is where the better fans will out perform the cheap freebies in the case, in that they wont change as much.

The BeQuiet fans are really nice.
                    Last edited by Gunslinger; 27-03-15, 00:31.

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"
                    - EPIC EULA M$ !...... thanks, but no thanks! - GWX Control Panel

Comment

Thanks all

Comment

Working...
                      X