• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phill View Post

TAZ, is your Raystorm a 115x version?
    Yes Phill, also have the back plate for 1366

Comment

What would you be looking for the block and does it come with retail complete packaging ??

Pastyman - What are those 38mm thick Yate's like?? I have the DS12H's all over the house but when I saw the specs of the 38mm I wasn't all that impressed.. What are they like?

Comment

What would you be looking for the block and does it come with retail complete packaging ??
        http://forums.aria.co.uk/showthread....-Cooling-stuff

Comment

Pastyman - What are those 38mm thick Yate's like?? I have the DS12H's all over the house but when I saw the specs of the 38mm I wasn't all that impressed.. What are they like?
          Very good. At full chat they are still not that noisey but turned down they are quiet while still shifting a decent amount of air. At less than a fiver each they are good value for money. They don't like running upside down though as the sleeve bearings get noisey after a few months and need oiling to run quiet again. Supposedly they come into their own when pushing air through a rad. Mine are all pulling air through and my rads are only 7 and 10 FPI so not the least bit restrictive.
          i5-4670k@4.5Ghz, Asus Maximus VI Hero, 16GB Samsung Green 2133Mhz@9-10-10-21/1N, Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD, Crucial M500 240GB SSD, 1TB Hitachi 7K1000C, Seasonic G series 750w, EVGA GTX780 FTW ACX Watercooling / Pump 2x AquaXtreme 50z / CPU EK Supreme HF / GPU XSPC Rasa VGA / 25cm XSPC Passive res / Rads, Thermochill PA120.3 + CG360

Comment

They didn't appear to on the specs list, move that much air so I wondered how they might fair... I'm looking at changing over to a 140 size rad and just seeing what that is like.. Just need some spare cash and a place to put it first!!

What sort of oil do you use to put in the fan bearings?

Comment

I think everyone has the specs wrong because it's exactly the same as the 25mm thich version. Yate Loons website has it down as 2300rpm with 82.5cfm which seems more like it to me. I just use a drop or two of 3 in 1 oil. Under the sticker on the motor is a little rubber cap you remove to add oil. There's a higher speed model above these, the D12SH-12D which has specs of:-

Fan Size: 120mm x 120mm x 38mm
              Speed: 3000 +/- 10% RPM
              Airflow: 101.0 CFM
              Noise: 47 dBA
              Bearing: Sleeve
              Voltage: 12 V
              Current: .7 Amp Max
              Fan Life: 30,000 hours
              Connector: 3pin and 4pin pass-through connector

I should imagine they are very noisey unless under a fan controller though. If I was buying fans for watercooling now I would have a look at the new Silverstone SST-FW122. It has good looking specs with a decent static pressure:-

Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 25 mm (W x H x D)
              Material: Plastic
              Weight: 130 g
              Color: Blue (frame), White (blades)
              Speed​​: 1000-1800 r / min
              Air flow: 72.4 to 130 m / h
              Static Pressure: 0.65 to 2.10 mmH2O
              Volume: 18.4 to 28.1 dB (A)
              Voltage: 12 V
              Start voltage: 5 V
              Connector: 4-pin PWM
              Life expectancy: 40,000 hours

The biggest drawback is that it's still a sleeve bearing.
              Last edited by pastyman; 07-11-14, 14:12.
              i5-4670k@4.5Ghz, Asus Maximus VI Hero, 16GB Samsung Green 2133Mhz@9-10-10-21/1N, Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD, Crucial M500 240GB SSD, 1TB Hitachi 7K1000C, Seasonic G series 750w, EVGA GTX780 FTW ACX Watercooling / Pump 2x AquaXtreme 50z / CPU EK Supreme HF / GPU XSPC Rasa VGA / 25cm XSPC Passive res / Rads, Thermochill PA120.3 + CG360

Comment

I did think it was odd for so many sites to show that the 38mm thick fan was no better than the medium or slow sped fan that Yate do.. Very surprised..

I've got my eye on a couple (well four at least) Scythe fans for my next crazy cooling idea

Comment

so yea, need to throw antec 920, nzxt g10 and some gelid vrm sinks in with what i use too.

yes i know, i r cheating.....

but tbh it is a very cost effective way to get you gpu wet and not loss on real gpu blocks.

that being said i have now run out of volts not cooling for overclocking my 290x
                  "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                  Plato

Comment

It is interesting to me just how much better the GPU is better under water compared to air... Even testing these old GPUs (GTX280, 8800GTX, 5870's etc) they struggle to hit over 32C on the core but the same on the air seems to be near triple the temps.... I've not tried overclocking them yet, but I'm guessing if I'm lucky I might see 40C under load

Comment

this 290x is about as hot as any gpu i have played with and i rank it along side the 500s and even the mighty 8800 gtx as a secondary use as a storage heater.

cool evening air now the heating has gone off has it sat at a balmy 29c

is strange to see vrm as highest gpu temp xD
                      "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                      Plato

Comment

I must admit even for older GPU's I'm dead impressed with how good the cooling is of the card with the blocks.. I'm assuming that they have come a long way since then... I would love a new GPU....

Comment

This will impress you. I rather nervously took a hammer to my 4670k last week and delidded it. I wasn't temperature limited before with temps only in the mid 50's under IBT but I had a core that was 9 degrees cooler than the rest and it was annoying me. I was surprised to find very little tim on the core and the bottom 1/4 had practically none at all. I cleaned the black stuff off both the pcb and IHS and while I was at it checked the IHS with a straight edge. It was massively concave so I lapped it at the same time. Clear nail varnish on the row of chips beside the core and then liquid pro on the core. Placed the cpu in the socket and placed the IHS on top and then clamped it down. Gelid Extreme 4 between the IHS and my block and finished building the loop back up. Pressed the power button and held my breath only to be met with a alarm and overclocking failed, press F1 for setup. After a bit of panic and much cursing I found that I hadn't plugged a fan into my fan controller and it was reading 0rpm which is why the alarm went off. Rectified this and got into the bios, re-applied my overclock and restarted. Into windows and checked the temps which were around 5-6 degrees cooler at idle. Opened HW Monitor, Real Temp and cpu-z and started IBT. Load temps are now mid 30's so a massive improvement although I still have that one core thats cooler than the rest. Proof below!! My rads are mounted on a windowsill and sucking the cooler air from outside through them which is how my temps are so low. I can't wait for winter to arrive to see if I can get into single digits!!

Comment

big props for the delid dude, that takes stones

your cooler core will be the one on near the igp i guess, the rest are next to running cores which adds to their temps

could be the other way around and it is the imc which adds less heat idk but i would guess not.
                            Plato

Comment

It's nowhere near as far out as it used to be so I am happy with it now. The IGP on mine is disabled in the bios so I would say you are onto something there. Do you know which way up that picture would be looking at it vertically instead of horizontally? I was surprised just how concave the IHS was though and how little TIM Intel had put in it, especially after seeing others that had been plastered with the stuff.

Comment

i have no idea dude, i know the chip is down the middle of the ihs, well so do you now you delid xD but as for which way is top i have no clue.

intel hs have always been bent...they used to blame it on the heat from soldering it to the core....wonder what they claim these days.

i didnt lapp mine, i have other chips in the past but this time i just hit it with a file....give you an idea how flat mine was

meh i had just hit a 250 piece of hardware with a hammer, why not file it down too right?

nah it sounds worse when i saw it like that, truth is the vice left marks which i filed off on the sides where it was clamped in and i removed those. the face was much flatter than some i have had.
                                Plato

Comment

Working...
                                X