Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• temperture query

Hi guys
    Ive recently installed a "zalman CNPS5X performa " cpu cooler which has improved cpu tempertures by a few degree,s however my gpu ( HD6790 ) temp has gone to 61c idle but heres were its strange... even after 30 minutes of playing "crysis 3" or "battlefield 3" the gpu temp never goes over 69c ( which is ok for any gpu )
    as my case only has 2 x 120mm fans ( 1 x intake and 1 x exhuast ) im guessing the side facing zalman cpu fan is diverting the air from the gpu ( its 92mm fan is pretty powerful ) and this is why the gpu idle temps are around 60c ( 50c prior to cpu cooler installation ) ..
    im not too concerned with the gpu temps ( my old nvidia GTS250 would run at 90c load ) and ive also noticed the cpu temps are better at load .. they never go above 52c were before they could hit 57c ......
    my only other idea would be to fit one of those pci coolers which fit in any spare pci bay ( connect them like you would a graphics card ) ( image below )

the only downside i can see is the above cooler is a exhuast so would this do any good or could it actually make things worse ..... also what about fitting a 92mm fan to the rear pci brackets with some ties ... this would act as a intake directing air over ( or around about ) the gpu fan
    as my wife rightly stated i made a big mistake buying the sharkoon VG4-W ... it looks really nice but with just 2 x 120mm fans it has no side facing cooling and im guessing thats the root of the gpu tempeture increases
    that said games are running fine and the fans ( both gpu and more importantly cpu ) are not too noisy so thats ok
    as the "mad dutch dude" stated in a previous post "load tempetures are more important than idle " and both my cpu load and gpu load are within acceptable limits
    any feedback however would be much appreciated
    cheers guys !
    Intel core i5 3330 3.0ghz,8GB XMS3 1333MHZ (2 X 4GB),MSI R9 270x,128gb SSD (boot) + 1tb wd sata ,msi z77a-g41 mobo,asus xonar dgx ,520w seasonic psu,aerocool xpredator x1 devil red chassis

yea, i think even mdd would agree that is an issue dude.

i would start by refitting the heatsink, or at least removing any shroud it has and knocking out the dust bunnies you know.
    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
    Plato

Comment

the cpu is 40c idle ( 45c idle with stock cooler ) .... the gpu is 60c idle ( 55c prior ) .... the previous post the MDD stated that 40c was ok for a idle cpu temp ..... ?
      Intel core i5 3330 3.0ghz,8GB XMS3 1333MHZ (2 X 4GB),MSI R9 270x,128gb SSD (boot) + 1tb wd sata ,msi z77a-g41 mobo,asus xonar dgx ,520w seasonic psu,aerocool xpredator x1 devil red chassis

Comment

for a cpu yea, 60c idle is warm for a modern gpu.

60c idle is warm for an old gpu...

it has to have something restricting the airflow for the card to be so warm?
        "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
        Plato

Comment

i personally think its the new cpu fan with its fairly powerful fan thats drawing the cool air ( from the front intake fan ) leaving little for the gpu ..... as i stated the gpu temp does not go above 70c under load but i do need to sort this out ..... how about a 3rd party gpu cooler such as one of those "arctic cooling" accelero,s .... that said i keep kicking myself with the choice of case ... the sharkoon vg4-w may look nice but its cooling is as bad as they come ..... looks like i may bring my NZXT M59 out of retirement !

Comment

after changing some fan profiles in the bios the gpu temp dropped to 48c ..... changed power fan from silent to normal ... kept cpu fan on normal ..... dont ask me what i did !

Comment

Let me get this straight... changing something in your BIOS to do with your CPU temperatures dropped your GPU temperatures?

Correct, the load is more important as I stated before, but that is warm for a modern GPU, like Marsey said. The old cards like an 8800 Ultra used to idle at 60c, even with 100% on the fan, but times have changed.
              ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

yeh,mixed that one up ... basically the two fan options in the uefi bios ... cpu fan .. normal ... system fan ( rear fan ) normal .... after changing these the gpu temp changed .... dont know why ..... the HD6790 now idles at 45c ..... cpu temp around 38c.... gaming the cpu load is around 53c/54c... and the gpu around 65c/57c load .....
                yes i remember my XFX GTS250 would idle around 65c and under load it would sometimes hit 85c..... however im allmost sure these tempertures issues ive been having are down the the new case ( sharkoon vg4-w ) and as i stated i may bring the old NZXT M59 out of retirement ..... good old case with better cooling .... thanks dude for the advice !

Comment

Working...
                X