Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermal Paste Advice

Hi All,

I've got a CPU arriving this week and intend to cool it using a Zalman CNPS10X Performa. Supplied with the heatsink was a small pouch containing an amount of ZM-STG2M thermal paste, but I have some Arctic MX-4 left over from when I replaced the thermal pad on my laptop a couple of weeks ago. Which is the better performing of the two, or is the difference small enough that I should just use the MX-4 since it's already open? The MX-4 has done a superb job on my laptop (running an i5-2410M), keeping temps below 70degC where they previously would've reached over 90.

I've also got some ArctiClean Remover and Surface Cleaner: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=40436

Is it worth using bottle 2 on the CPU and heatsink to "purify" the surface before I mount the cooling gear, or is this more for when you've cleaned old gunk off?

Cheers!
    B
    MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Intel i7-4790K 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical CL8 1600 MSI GTX 760 2GB TF OC
    EVGA NEX750B PSU Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ATX Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD WD Black 1TB HDD

I would use MX-4, Zalman usually make good stuff so you could always try it first.

Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7. Ryzen 1700. 16GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB. Zotac GTX980ti Amp Omega Edition. Samsung 840 500 GB SSD. WD 1 TB Green. XFX 750w XTR Psu. Creative GIgaworks T20 series 2 speakers. Asus DX 7.1. Phanteks Enthoo ATX Glass case. iiyama G-master GE2788HS Monitor. Cyborg V7. TT Theron mouse.

Comment

I have a very similar HSF myself and it's a cracker...but It was 2nd hand so I didn't get to use any Zalman paste - I'd also be tempted to go with the MX-4 and save the unopened Zalman paste for an emergency.
      As for the thermal interface purifier stuff I use about 2/3 less of that than bottle 1 (meaning I end up with a massive stockpile of the second bottle after the 1st one is depleted) but sometimes it's quite remarkable what it can lift from what you thought was a spotlessly clean heat sink - it won't hurt to give the two surfaces a quick rub with it.
      Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5.AMD FX8150 @3.5Ghz. 8Gb Mushkin Redline, MSI 7950 TFIII BE, 120Gb Mushkin Chronos + 256Gb Crucial M4 + 2x2Tb F3 Spinpoint Eco-Greens + 1x 3Tb Seagate. Antec 900 Watt PSU . Windows 10 Pro

Comment

MX-4 it is I think, the syringe applicator will probably make for a neater time than I would have with the Zalman pouch anyway

Snap, bottle 1 of my ArctiClean is almost empty after I used heaps of the stuff trying to get a 5 year old thermal pad off my laptop heatsink, it did a very good job though!
        MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Intel i7-4790K 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical CL8 1600 MSI GTX 760 2GB TF OC
        EVGA NEX750B PSU Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ATX Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD WD Black 1TB HDD

Comment

It's always good to remove it using the cleaner, as heat transferrance goes down to as small as atom level for efficiency.

Comment

Working...
          X