new cpu cooler and case fans, ADVICE?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new cpu cooler and case fans, ADVICE?

Looking for a new cooler for my i5 3570k to allow me to overclock it (hitting 60C @ stock clocks whilst gaming) and I have been advised the Noctua NH-U12p SE2, anybody have advise with regards to this as a cooler or any alternate suggestions?
    The cpu is on a MSI Z77A-G43 in a corsair 200R. I dont think there are any obstructions for that particular heat-sink so that should be ok, I also have low profile corsair ballistix sport ram so that shouldn't intrude into the cooler space and the case claims it can have coolers up to 160mm in height.

if anybody can give opinions on that cpu cooler or any alternates and possibly an additional 140mm side case fan to blow at my graphics card it would be most appreciated!
    MSI Z77A-G43 , i7 3770K@4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS R9 290x DirectCU II, 4x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport, 120gb Crucial M4, 240gb Crucial MX500, 500gb Seagate Barracuda, 2Tb Seagate Barracuda, NZXT H440, Corsair RM 850W Gold PSU

What sort of budget are you looking to work with? That'll help us decide what would be best for your needs.
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

in all honesty I haven't really set a budget, im not hugely worried about cost as long is its reasonable comparative to the fact its only cooling an i5 aha. likewise Im not hugely bothered about silence as my graphics card is by far the loudest component right now anyways. overall I just need a cooler that will bring down general CPU temps, for example its currently idling at 42C which strikes me as somewhat high when the case and other components at current at around 28C, and preferably be able to deal with a i5 overclocked to the 4.2ghz ish region
      MSI Z77A-G43 , i7 3770K@4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS R9 290x DirectCU II, 4x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport, 120gb Crucial M4, 240gb Crucial MX500, 500gb Seagate Barracuda, 2Tb Seagate Barracuda, NZXT H440, Corsair RM 850W Gold PSU

Comment

The Noctua will fit in that case, but you will probably only be able to have one side panel fan on the lower section as the top section will probably be blocked by the cooler. There's a small chance you might not even be able to fit the fan on the bottom section either though.

If you definitely want the both side panel fans, you might be better off going with one of the closed loop coolers like the Corsair H60/80s.
        Why did the chicken cross the road?
        To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

Since looked further into this, and decided that the closed loop coolers do in fact look very very nice, however I was wondering, will my 200R fit a 240mm rad (corsair h100i) in the top mounting point? it looks like there should be ample space but the specification only states 120mm coolers? if anybody could clear this up that would be amazing!

Comment

I've got the 300R, which is a tad bigger. The h100i does (just) fit in the top of my case, but the lack of room around the RAM slots has led to me mounting the fans outside the case on top of where the radiator is.

I don't need it like this, it was just a bit easier (and leaves me the option of adding more fans at a later date if I ever decide to do so). I don't think it will fit in the 200R though, even with the fans outside.

Reading a review of the 200R I came across this paragraph:

If you are planning on internally mounting a Corsair H100 or a Thermaltake Water2.0 Extreme in the top of the Corsair 200R, you are out of luck... ...The Corsair 200R will not accommodate dual fan radiators...
            So unless you're happy chopping your case up with a dremmel, I'd avoid the 240 radiators. Performance wise there is very little difference between the h80i and the H100i anyway, and the H80i will fit in the back of your case without problem.
            Last edited by FunkY; 11-06-14, 12:25.
            Why did the chicken cross the road?
            To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

ahh yeh I kinda feared that may be the case, having looking into it though the H80i seems more than efficient enough for the job, and it ought to make sorting my cases airflow easier as well! I shall pick one up tomorrow once I locate my wallet, does anybody have an input over the fan noise from it, iv heard from some that it can be a touch on the noisey side? to be honest as long as its no louder than the stock cooler it doesn't bother me

Comment

Working...
              X