Need Suggestions for Case and Cooling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Suggestions for Case and Cooling

Okay so here's the deal, I have an FX-8350 and am going to be getting a 7950. I need a case with better airflow than my current one (the Arianet Stealth-X) and I need a cooler that will be able to keep the 8350 at decent temperatures while it is slightly overclocked (200MHz OC). My current cooler is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13.

Budget

While I know a good case and cooler isn't going to be cheap I don't really want any suggestions for a 100 case and a 100 twin fan water cooling system. I'm a student and we can't afford s**t so be reasonable

(Yes I see the irony of my build being expensive and me having a budget, but I was building for it to last)
    Last edited by zCo; 24-08-13, 23:21.
    CPU: AMD FX-8350 GPU: XFX Radeon 7850 1GB RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 PSU: Corsair AX760 80+ Platinum Case: CM Storm Stryker HDD: WD Blue 500GB
    CM Storm Stryker Owners' Club

If you can squeeze just over 110 for both items, you can't really go wrong with:

Corsair Carbide 300R 70
    CoolerMaster Seidon 120 closed loop watercooler 44

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=52034

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=53449

I'd also get an extra one or two 120mm fans if you can afford it. Don't have to be expensive or super silent. Just as long as they move some air.

That little Seidon 120 cooler has had amazing reviews and for 44, you're going to struggle to find something cheaper that'll cool as well as this.

If you wanted to ratchet the budget down a notch, you could go for the Corsair Carbide 200R at 50, but the 300R is superb for the money and should give you more options for the future when you upgrade.

Comment

Good suggestions there from Bing. I know you said your a student, and therefore I assume you move your rig at least 6 times a year. If thats the case the w/c system may be a good idea as it puts less stress on the mobo that a heavy chunk of metal. I dont know about you but I always prefer spending a little more to mitigate spending a **** tonne more

Comment

Originally posted by Bing View Post
        If you can squeeze just over 110 for both items, you can't really go wrong with:

Corsair Carbide 300R 70

I'd also get an extra one or two 120mm fans if you can afford it. Don't have to be expensive or super silent. Just as long as they move some air.

That little Seidon 120 cooler has had amazing reviews and for 44, you're going to struggle to find something cheaper that'll cool as well as this.

If you wanted to ratchet the budget down a notch, you could go for the Corsair Carbide 200R at 50, but the 300R is superb for the money and should give you more options for the future when you upgrade.
        Looks like a good move, will definitely try to get that, but in the meanwhile I'll continue taking the side panel off my case and pointing a 10" desk fan at it
        CPU: AMD FX-8350 GPU: XFX Radeon 7850 1GB RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 PSU: Corsair AX760 80+ Platinum Case: CM Storm Stryker HDD: WD Blue 500GB

Comment

Haha. Spoken like a true student. Been there my friend... The bulk of my first years student loan went on a P3-400 base unit and I had to sell half my stuff to afford the Voodoo graphics add in card.... Hard times!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bing View Post

Corsair Carbide 300R 70

The water cooler is intel, is there an AMD version?

Comment

Shop around mate, you can pick up a refurbished H100 for 39 mate just get the case and see how it goes

Comment

zCo, Aria cocked up on the webshop mate. It does all AMD sockets too. Here's the manufacturer's page: http://www.coolermaster.com/product/...idon-120m.html

Taz: The Seidon is on par with the old H100s. I don't see the point buying a used/refurbed cooler that takes up more space and has less guarantee for similar money.

Comment

Originally posted by TAZ007 View Post
                  Shop around mate, you can pick up a refurbished H100 for 39 mate just get the case and see how it goes
                  Some of them have been very problematic though, and isn't lead time quite long on them?

Comment

i wouldnt bother with a closed loop myself, not unless you are using a case which cant take a good air blower like the siver arrow or d14/p14.

save some money for on the case and then add one of those coolers later when you have the funds.
                    "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                    Plato

Comment

Go for something like a Thermalright True Spirit 140 and put the rest towards a decent case.

CPU Cooler Round up

Comment

Originally posted by marsey99 View Post
                        i wouldnt bother with a closed loop myself, not unless you are using a case which cant take a good air blower like the siver arrow or d14/p14.

save some money for on the case and then add one of those coolers later when you have the funds.
                        I'm along the same lines plus I heard a few horror storys of them leaking once they got too hot and destroying cpus and motherboards. The tubing just isn't the best it's why I ended up going with the Silver Arrow myself..
                        i7-6700K 4.00GHz, Thermalright Silver Arrow, Zotac GTX 980 TI AMP! 6GB, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, Blu-ray Writer, Asus ROG Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz DDR4

Comment

I have decided to splurge a bit on myself and get a CM Storm Stryker, anyone have any experience with this case, is it good for cooling and cable management etc.

Comment

Should got Carbide air 540

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Originally posted by zCo View Post
                              I have decided to splurge a bit on myself and get a CM Storm Stryker, anyone have any experience with this case, is it good for cooling and cable management etc.
                              Nice case, enjoy

Originally posted by k3vst3r View Post
                              Should got Carbide air 540
                              I like this too, thats why i hard to pick for others as its a personnel taste thing, we all like different

Comment

Working...
                              X