Thinking about a new case, Fractal VS Sharkoon VS Zalman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a new case, Fractal VS Sharkoon VS Zalman

currently have a Coolermaster 590, not great for dust intake as so many vents and fan mounts, so dust proof would be nice, as would quietness.

Any thought on pros & cons of the below >>>

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=44436

https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials...roductId=47874

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...roductId=48408
    Originally posted by Aaron
    I want those sweet cherries

I love my R3, I hate most of the over the top designs of PC cases.

Dust wise, using the two front fan spaces, both have a dust filter, the psu location has a dust filter, and if you're not using the side and top vents, they stay blanked off. My temps are around 70c at 4.5ghz running prime, fans on slow, around 60 fans on full.

Comment

Only thing I will say about the z9 is the side mesh has an intake fan in it and no filter so it pulls quite a bit of dust in but I just moved mine to the bottom of the case and solved the problem. rest of fans have filters and are quite effective. And there's quite a bit of space behind the mobo tray for cable tidying too

As for quietness I find my Z9 relatively quiet, although the side intake fan can buzz abit against the mesh but again moving it to the bottom solved that problem. Only thing i really hear in mine is my CPU cooler.

Would you not consider the Z11 instead though with USB 3 ports on front? and no side mesh so I would imagine less dust would get in. and its only like a fiver dearer or something
      Last edited by Tuilalcaron; 08-03-12, 10:20.

Comment

What j07cmt said, all intake fans are fully filtered. My room is very dusty, and there's no sign of dust inside the R3 (albeit early days yet). Very good temps, and very quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by j07cmt View Post
          I love my R3, I hate most of the over the top designs of PC cases.

Dust wise, using the two front fan spaces, both have a dust filter, the psu location has a dust filter, and if you're not using the side and top vents, they stay blanked off. My temps are around 70c at 4.5ghz running prime, fans on slow, around 60 fans on full.
          how are they blanked? is it a material you pop out and can put back if needed?

I'd probably put two blow hole fans on top to take air out if going for the Fractal

Comment

Originally posted by Tuilalcaron View Post
            Only thing I will say about the z9 is the side mesh has an intake fan in it and no filter so it pulls quite a bit of dust in but I just moved mine to the bottom of the case and solved the problem. rest of fans have filters and are quite effective. And there's quite a bit of space behind the mobo tray for cable tidying too

As for quietness I find my Z9 relatively quiet, although the side intake fan can buzz abit against the mesh but again moving it to the bottom solved that problem. Only thing i really hear in mine is my CPU cooler.

Would you not consider the Z11 instead though with USB 3 ports on front? and no side mesh so I would imagine less dust would get in. and its only like a fiver dearer or something
            looked at the Z11, but it looked like a Z9 chassis, with a Z11 outer shell. wasnt as keen on the styling though.

Mesh is what i'm trying to move away from, my CM 590 has mesh all along the front, and mesh style holes at the fan mounts. On the mounts I have with no fans dust gets pulled in through these holes, and my air pressure isn't overly negative.

Comment

Originally posted by coiler View Post
              how are they blanked? is it a material you pop out and can put back if needed?

I'd probably put two blow hole fans on top to take air out if going for the Fractal
              They're plastic panels with noise dampening foam attached that screw into place.

About the only bad thing I would say about the r3 is there isn't much room behind the motherboard tray for cables but if you plan carefully you can do it fine.

Comment

in the R3, the 24 pin cables just fits, but try not to cross any cables over it. If you've individually braided cables, that will help. It's something I plan to do on mine when I buy a new PSU.

Finding a case without faults is impossible, I find the little niggles in the R3 aren't worth worrying about.

Comment

Originally posted by Mokey View Post
                  They're plastic panels with noise dampening foam attached that screw into place.

About the only bad thing I would say about the r3 is there isn't much room behind the motherboard tray for cables but if you plan carefully you can do it fine.
                  Seconded. The side panel behind my motherboard tray is bulging because of all of my cables! But still, I'd DEFINITELY go R3, the other two are fugly.

Comment

i have a 750 Corsair TX so plenty of cables, already prebraided.

Comment

Originally posted by Mokey View Post

thats a nice touch

can't find any other cases which seem as dustproof at the moment?

Comment

Working...
                      X