Midi or Full Tower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midi or Full Tower

Good morning everybody. Afternoon, evening, night depending when you read this thread.

Its time to buy a case. The question is midi or full tower? Its use will be for my Sandy build. I'll be putting an ATX motherboard and probably crossfire or SLI graphics cards at some point. I've had a look through some of the builds in the "Show Us Yours" section and some of the midi cases look awfully cramped once two graphics cards go in. The system will be air cooled so plenty of ventilation will be needed. Size isn't an issue.

I have been looking at the Fractal and Coolermaster HAF cases in both sizes. All of them already come with fans installed. Anybody already own any of these cases could give me an idea of noise levels?

Your comments, suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Should probably mention this will only be my second build so i am in no way competent.

Full tower imo.

The bigger the case the more air you can move around keeping temps down and noise down. Go for a case that can take a lot of fans then you can run them all slower giving you a quieter system overall

I have an enormous case (Coolermaster CSX) with 5 case fans, psu fan and cpu cooler fan, and it's whisper quiet
    --
    Fractal R4 (shhh!) 3570k, z77x-d3h, 16gb, R9-270X, 240gb SSD, 2tb mirror w/ 60gb cache drive

Comment

I've been eyeing up the fractal XL, If I were going air cooling I'd get that, the fans are meant to be really quiet (but dont push much air) and the case is soundproofed, imo the HAF series looks cheap and plastic

Comment

I have the NZXT Phantom and I'm seriously considering getting the Fractal XL. The fractal is quiet and sleek and looks very cool.

IMO I get a full tower when I can but some mid towers like the Fractal R3 are pretty roomy anyway. Its up to you to decide how much room you need.
        Desktop: Intel i5-4690K | 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI | EVGA GTX 660 3GB | Windows 10
        Server 0: Gen8 HP Microserver | Proxmox Hypervisor Server 1: Gen8 HP Microserver | FreeNAS

Comment

Corsair 600t looks nice imo

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
          Gaming PC:i5 2500k|MSI Mpower Z77 | Kingston HyperX Grey 8GB 1600MHZ | ThermalTake Frio | MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III 2GB Crossfire | Samsung 840 PRO 250GB SSD | XFX Pro 850W Modular PSU | Corsair 600t Case

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
            Corsair 600t looks nice imo

It pictures like that which worry me about having enough room inside the case to get my elbows in to be able to put it all together. Also airflow around cards which are sandwiched together like that. Still that's the motherboard not the case that dictates that.

Could be the new tech that i'm now seeing that's scaring me. 2 slot graphics cards, PSU's being fitted at the bottom of the case now instead of the top.

Comment

If you can get your budget around it and you have the physical space, a full tower is going to be the better choice. More room, more options, more air, easier to work in and an impressive spectacle to boot.

Added after 4 minutes:

Originally posted by Altro View Post
              It pictures like that which worry me about having enough room inside the case to get my elbows in to be able to put it all together. Also airflow around cards which are sandwiched together like that. Still that's the motherboard not the case that dictates that.

Could be the new tech that i'm now seeing that's scaring me. 2 slot graphics cards, PSU's being fitted at the bottom of the case now instead of the top.
              If you have a look in the 600t unboxing thread I've got some poorly lit and taken photos of mine. It's got a big tower cooler, 3 hard drives, a 5870, discrete soundcard, and I had bags of room. Easily the best midi I've had to work with.
              Last edited by Cutshaw; 15-06-11, 11:14. Reason: Auto edit by merge post
              XBL - Cutshaw | Steam

Comment

I'd look at the 650D.

I doubt you'd run 3x SLI and the 600T and 650D actually have 8 expansion slots so you can space out cards.

I quite like the interior of the 700D though.

A 750D would be awesome, but expensive.

Comment

Now that doesn't look too bad at all.

Did you do any modding?
                  Fallout 2

Comment

Originally posted by Altro View Post
                    Did you do any modding?
                    Fallout 2
                    No mods, but I might stealth an optical drive. The front of it looks too nice to ruin with a dvd burner. I'll see if I can get a hold of spare front bay covers before I start hacking it up, though.

Fallout 2, what big gaming builds are meant for!
                    XBL - Cutshaw | Steam

Comment

i prefer midi myself, while they are more cramped, and not as suitable for water cooling if you want to go that direction, i just prefer a minimalistic approach and a compact design

it depends what components you need to cater for, i prefer minimal so i only need space for 1x ssd, 1xhd, 1x gfx card. when you dont have a gazillion hds or sli some of these huge cases look very empty

Comment

Working...
                      X