Watercooling question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watercooling question...

Ok, i have a xspc 5 1/4 single bay reservoir coming (without pump)..

been looking at the XSPC X20 450 pump (which has acrylic reservoir)..

Now my question is, can you have 2 reservoirs, as in, can the single bay one connect to the one on the pump?, and would this work ok?

Cheers
    Gavin

RIG 1: Core i7 930 @ 4.58ghz, 6GB OCZ Spec Ops, 64GB Kingston V+100 SDD, 1TB Barracuda, 5850,Win7 ULT x64
    RIG 2: Phenom II X6 3.50Ghz, 8GB Patriot, 40GB Mushkin SSD, 2TB Barracuda, 2x5770 XFIRE, Win7 ULT x64

Ok, case, and water stuff came today...
    I have a question now...

I want to use the xspc single bay reservior i have (currently in bottom slot of the coolermaster cm 690 II dominator advanced i received today).

Ok, and the XSPC XSO450 pump i received from Xspc today wont fit anywhere near the other res..

So the pump will have to sit on the floor of the case..

What im wondering, is this ok? its a long drop down from the res to pump, then a long way back up to the radiator...

RIG 1: Core i7 930 @ 4.58ghz, 6GB OCZ Spec Ops, 64GB Kingston V+100 SDD, 1TB Barracuda, 5850,Win7 ULT x64
    RIG 2: Phenom II X6 3.50Ghz, 8GB Patriot, 40GB Mushkin SSD, 2TB Barracuda, 2x5770 XFIRE, Win7 ULT x64

Comment

Originally posted by gmunday View Post
      I have a question now...

I want to use the xspc single bay reservior i have (currently in bottom slot of the coolermaster cm 690 II dominator advanced i received today).

Ok, and the XSPC XSO450 pump i received from Xspc today wont fit anywhere near the other res..

What im wondering, is this ok? its a long drop down from the res to pump, then a long way back up to the radiator...

(Image)

That should work fine, that pump should be powerful enough. Where are you mounting the radiator/s in the case, I am presuming you are having the 240mm in the bottom and 120mm?? at the rear exhaust?
      Last edited by Hayling Laser Sailor; 14-06-11, 18:14.

Comment

Well the rad was going to go at the top and fans outside of the case pulling in air from the top thru the rad... So that would mean res down to pump, then all the way up to the rad to the cpu and back to the res.

Or... another option here is, does the xso 450 need to be upright? could it go on its side?. And reason why i dont have the 240 at the bottom is because i need the hdd cages and theres no room for a 240mm at the bottom then, only at the top, and i dont have a 120mm

Comment

Well the rad was going to go at the top and fans outside of the case pulling in air from the top thru the rad... So that would mean res down to pump, then all the way up to the rad to the cpu and back to the res.

Or... another option here is, does the xso 450 need to be upright? could it go on its side?. And reason why i dont have the 240 at the bottom is because i need the hdd cages and theres no room for a 240mm at the bottom then, only at the top, and i dont have a 120mm

Fair enough, the radiator sounds good at the top. The pump will need to be kept up and not tilted on the side because it may leak. Sounds like a nice plan for the loop.

Shame the radiator can't fit down the bottom. I would suggest that you move the seperate reservoir to the top drive bay and allow for a little bit of extra tubing so it can be pulled out to help remove the air bubbles. As they will tend to go to the highest point in the loop. You could leave it where it is however you may need to do a fair amount of tilting of the case to try to remove the air bubbles.

I also noticed that you mentioned previously you forgot to order any hose clips, cable ties will be fine if you are stuck.

Other than that, I wish you luck, take your time and enjoy.

Comment

thanks mate, well thinking of putting a 120mm rad in the back, or at the bottom in the future. and probably getting a more powerful pump, not planning on any gpu cooling, just using it to cool a heavily overclocked i7 chip (watch this space ).

Just waiting for the rasa waterblock to turn up tomorrow, with the mobo and cpu etc and then i'll do a leak test for 12 hours or 24 hours?.

Will let people know how it goes

Cheers

Comment

thanks mate, well thinking of putting a 120mm rad in the back, or at the bottom in the future. and probably getting a more powerful pump, not planning on any gpu cooling, just using it to cool a heavily overclocked i7 chip (watch this space ).

Just waiting for the rasa waterblock to turn up tomorrow, with the mobo and cpu etc and then i'll do a leak test for 12 hours or 24 hours?.

Will let people know how it goes

Cheers

No worries, sounds great a 120mm in the back isn't neccessary however will proberbly help with temps. Can't wait to see pics.

Leak test for about 12 hours if you wrap tissue around all the joints that will make it easier.

Comment

i've put that pbtf (or whatever its called) tape around the threads of the barbs as well as the o' rings to hopefully make a watertight seal.

Will of course take pics . and good idea about the tissues! will be able to spot leaks easier then! .

Thanks for the advice mate.. Well while im waiting for the mobo etc tomorrow, im going to try and route the cables a bit better.. problem is, this corsair 650 has so many connectors that i dont use, i got to hide loads of wires... this is why i need modular!!!.

Comment

i've put that pbtf (or whatever its called) tape around the threads of the barbs as well as the o' rings to hopefully make a watertight seal.

Will of course take pics . and good idea about the tissues! will be able to spot leaks easier then! .

Thanks for the advice mate.. Well while im waiting for the mobo etc tomorrow, im going to try and route the cables a bit better.. problem is, this corsair 650 has so many connectors that i dont use, i got to hide loads of wires... this is why i need modular!!!.
                  PTFE tape. Sounds like a good idea.

The tissue tip should be useful it also will soak up any leaks to prevent it going on the components.

Cable ties are your freind when cable management is concerned.

Looking forward to the pics. Just out of interest are you using coolant or distilled water?

Comment

Originally posted by Hayling Laser Sailor View Post
                    PTFE tape. Sounds like a good idea.

no no no it's polytetrafluoroethylene..............get it right

Comment

I have a question now...

Why do you have two res's? Just remove the bay one?

Comment

Working...
                      X