Cooling Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling Advice

Hey im currently planning on overclocking my CPU, Graphics card and Memory on the 31st august when the rest of the components arrive.

I will have:-

AMD Athlon 4000+ CPU (939)
    Sapphire Radeon x800 GTO 256mb GDDR3
    1GB DDR 400 Memory

will these 3 cooling components be enough to compensate with the overclocking?

Im new to overclocking and cooling, so just looking to make sure i dont ruin my new computer

Thanks

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=22081

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=20728

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=20207
    Athlon X2 4.6Ghz Dual Core
    2048mb DDR 400 Memory
    BFG Geforce 8800 GTS 640mb @ 625/1000

----------------------------------------------------------------------

imho it all depends on your case and airflow through your case.

Most people suggest you use a \"front to back\" airflow system, draw in cold air through the front and expell it out the back end,

Memory Heat spreaders TEND to do nothing, this isnt always the case but its usually best if the case you have has a fan in it in the side panel, you can normally 'tweak' the position of these by adding a couple of washers under one side so your RAM gets some air time

The heatsink you have chosen looks fine to me (although i dont use AMD so im sure someone else will verify this)

The arctic cooling silence you have looks Alright too - any fan you buy for your graphics card is going to be better than the cheap nasty stuff they put on as standard.

http://www.antec.com/us/info_quiet_computing.html

I know its on quiet computing but im sure it has a few details on cooling optimisation too, Sorry if it doesn't but its worth a peruse anyway

DDR Ram doesnt normally get too 'hot' if im right, but it depends what your going for i suppose- and if you expect to be overclocking it, you say your new to overclocking so i assume your going for OCZ so that you can overclock it ?

Also you'll find any advantage of having a \"cooler inside case\" so if you have a large 12cm fan on the back drawing out the heat, and one on the front, and it drops the case by 3/4 degrees, its probably worth it as you need to remember the air thats in your case is cooling your cpu too.

Looks good though - im sure someone will either support this completely or just tell you to ignore it all so watch this space =)

Comment

Thanks for the long reply matt

Im not getting OCZ memory, im kinda sticking with the aria memory i have

I think i'l ditch the idea of having a heatsink for the DDR memory,

ive seen a lot of cases with these extra fans on!

how the hell do u do it? and how do u power it up etc?

you have no idea how much i really want to add fans on the case for extra cooling and blue neon fans look awesome 2!

would u say its best to buy fans and install them if i get help

or buy a new case?

ive seen 2 cases im really really intrested in,

here they are:-

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=17377
      this one is the best price range for me at the moment

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=20912
      and this one is my dream case

it would be awesome if i could get the alien case and then put some fans into it if u can guide me on how to do it

thanks chris.
      2048mb DDR 400 Memory

Comment

also here are some more cases i would buy

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=15923
        comes with 2 fans it states?

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=16999
        3 fans available to just slot in? and 1 already included?
        2048mb DDR 400 Memory

Comment

tbh the case you called your 'dream' case looked good because:

The big fan on the side panel is about where your graphics card and any other PCI bits will be sat, so its gonna give you a nice blast of cool air onto your gfx card HS/Fan

How you mean power it up ? you mean get power to the fans ?

They normally just plug into the molex (4 pin power) connector, and usually the bigger 12cm ones have a \"pass through\" so they take their power, and let you plug something else on the same connector.

Makes it easy to get your pc powered up BUT, if you do put extra fans in Dont daisy chain loads of components on the one cable for obvious reasons, Alot of people aparently send working fans and optical drives are normally the main one. Did it on mine too - if i plug the 12cm fan into either of my optical drives, i could open the draw put the disc in - it would spin up, lose power and slow down, then start again

It doesnt really make a difference what the case is - as long as you stick to the basic principal of moving air in *one* direction, (or two because of a side panel) it should be OK.

Best thing i can say is try it - you wont know unless you try, you can always add more if it requires more. But i will say get a HDD cooler - they well worth the few quid they cost look pretty too

Comment

Thanks again matt

i really want to get one of these nice fans to put on the case

but where exactly do u put them?

do u have to cut a whole into ur case if u dont have fan mounts already?

like a very basic case? wuld i have to cut it? and put wholes in for screws?

im sorry but im very new to this, but very eager to learn

chris
            2048mb DDR 400 Memory

Comment

OK chris, in your case you will see 4 well spaces holes... they are either...

80mm, 92mm or 120mm apart (ish) this depicts which fan you need...

they normally have lots of holes in the middle - a \"grill\" so that little kids cant put their fingers in or whatever and blitz your finger.

You CAN remove them with tin snips if you really want as it gives better airflow but it will make your case much much weaker... i wouldnt recommend it.

if you take the side panel off your case you can have a good poke about and look see where there is space, there is normally one large one on the back and 2 small ones in the front (in my experience) the ones in the front tend to do sweet F A so a case mod is needed there if you plan on using it.

If theres no screw holes dont bother altho im contemplating putting a small fan on the bottom of my case right now =) its normally never worth it (my comps now supported on wood so it sits in my windowsill to make it get a draft from the window, its not normally feasable in normal conditions.

Comment

Ah okay ill have a look 2nite then!

but new case wont come till about 31st august with all the other stuff im ordering

but im sure i can test the fans out on my old case to see what kinda temp i can get from the extra fans

thanks for all your help matt, ill be sure to post some pics of my new machine in september

thanks again!
                2048mb DDR 400 Memory

Comment

no problem everyones here to help =)

Comment

[Removed at the request of the author]

Comment

yea, cant really afford the whole watercooling at the moment

im gona get the vga cooler and the arctic 64 fan

and im getting a new case, here are details

Description
                      XBlade Black ATXMidi TowerCase

Product Information

Raidmax X-Blade Premodded Black Case with Clear Side, Blue LED Fans & 450W PSU
                      Model #: N/A

Specifications

PSU:
                      450W P4 PSU
                      Dimensions (H x W x D mm):
                      430 x 200 x 490
                      Front:
                      2 x USB2.0 Ports
                      1 x 8cm Blue LED Fan
                      Side:
                      See-though Window
                      1 x 8cm Blue LED Fan

so thats an extra 2 fans even tho only 8cm

but with vga cooling and arctic 64! i should be able to mod as much as i like out of the CPU and graphics card

is this all well and good?
                      2048mb DDR 400 Memory

Comment

P.S I have also just noticed with this vga cooler

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=20207

do i have to take the current fan off my g card and put this 1?

as i didnt realise this and im scared incase i break my graphics card doing so

anyone know anything more on this?

EDIT

also would this be worth the 3? looks quite handy

http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=242
                        2048mb DDR 400 Memory

Comment

The Arctic Cooling VGA coolers are the mutts nuts! Have one on my X850XT PE which was Uber Hot until I clamped one of these monsters on!

The exhaust coolers are OK - Although i'd persoanlly go for a quieter solution. Have a look at the Akasa fans (Dual Ball Bearings is the key).

Comment

monkey how did u fit the vga cooler?

as this wil be my first vga cooler ever!

and where on aria can i find akasa?

thanks
                            2048mb DDR 400 Memory

Comment

[Removed at the request of the author]

Comment

Working...
                              X