Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vostro 3560 cooling mod

Hi all - long time no post!

I've just upgraded my trusty old Vostro 3560 from an i3 to an i5, and it's running quite a bit toastier (75*C under load with the i3, but now peaking at 90*C with the i5), despite the two processors both having a 35W TDP.

This model comes in GPU and non-GPU flavours (mine is the latter) - both of which have a different heatsink:

I've done some digging and it seems the chassis for each model is the same, and the only difference is that the ATI chip is physically missing from the motherboard. My understanding of how heatpipes work is a tad limited, but am I right in thinking that if I replace the heatsink with the GPU version, the heat should be distributed to an extent across both sections, and thus this should lower the temperatures a fair bit?

Dell Vostro 3560 | Intel Core i5-3380M | 8GB RAM | HD4000 graphics | Sandisk SSDPlus 120GB | Windows 10 Pro

It should in my eyes, more surface area = more heat that can be dissipated. Not to mention that the fan may also be a little better as its built to cope with a higher load than just a single CPU.
    i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

the cooling from the cpu will not be any better as it is still the same, single, heatpipe removing heat from that area. with no gpu chip the 2nd heatpipe has nothing to touch and no way of conducting heat. but as ian said if it has a bigger fin array or better fan that might help with temps some.

refitting it with liquid ultra type tim will help best imo.
      "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
      Plato

Comment

Cheers guys - going to try it for science(tm) and will report back. I think that extra slab of metal behind the fan (it's just plastic on the UMA heatsink) might also help too so it could go either way.
        Dell Vostro 3560 | Intel Core i5-3380M | 8GB RAM | HD4000 graphics | Sandisk SSDPlus 120GB | Windows 10 Pro

Comment

We need more ghetto type projects like this! I miss doing them.

Originally posted by coiler
          Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Theoretically thinking about it though, surely the second heatpipe should help even if the first heatpipe is the rate-limiting step of the process, as heat will be drawn across it down the temperature gradient, which sets up a steeper temperature gradient for the first heatpipe?:

I'm kind of tempted to remove a heatpipe from an old laptop heatsink and glue it on with Arctic Alumina or similar though like this:

Any idea how to remove the fins off the donor heatsink though, without heating it up to solder temperatures (which are scarily close to heatpipe explosion temperatures)? I'm thinking may be bathe it in boiling water and apply pressure with pliers?

Comment

It might take longer to reach temp if its one continuous heat pipe but the dissipating mechanism is the fin array and if thats denser with the GPU included version then you should get better temps.

In theory, it should improve but the best way to find out is to do it - keeping in mind that fresh, decent thermal paste may also improve temps by default.
              i7 3770k - MSI Z77 Mpower - 16GB Avexir Mpower 2400Mhz - 500GB Samsung 840 EVO - EVGA GTX 980 SC - 1200W CM Gold - Custom Watercooling Loop - Corsair Air 540 - Steelseries 6Gv2 - Logitech MX 518 - Asus PB287Q - Creative T20

Comment

it would to some degree, but as for how much it would help, if you would notice real world...it would be just guesses.

i mean in theory i think you're right but the heat would only go to the 2nd pipe and stay there. the cooling would still only come from the fins. it could be it would take a little longer to hit the max temps, but they would still be about the same.
                "Those able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
                Plato

Comment

Hello again my dudes, I was recently given another dead Vostro 3560, that fortunately had the GPU version with heatsink and backplate. Although I attempted some component level repair on the dead board and got it to fire up, it still won't POST, so I decided to use it to do a slightly neater version of this mod on my working system .

I used the new heatsink, cut down a rubber spacer to size and placed it in the unpopulated GPU section to prevent shorts, then peeled off the GPU section backplate from the dead board and stuck it on my working board, then put screws through:

Much more robust than my first attempt (which held the GPU section in place by kapton tape and hope!), and temps dropped greatly - the UMA heatsink was peaking at CPU 92*C+~ usually with the fan running full tilt. Under the same usage conditions, the CPU package now peaks at 70*C, with the fan not running at full tilt (nb, thermal paste was new on both measurements). Idle temps are still 50ish, but that's to be expected as this is the temperature that causes the fan to switch on. In all, I consider it to be a great success!

I might have a go at adding a fan grill to the system, as with the UMA version temps would drop about 15*C with the back cover removed. I'm not sure if I'd see the same improvement now given that the fan is no longer running at full tilt but it may be worth a shot.
                  Last edited by spleenharvester; 19-01-18, 01:51.

Comment

Pretty successful!

Originally posted by coiler
                    Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

I suspect using some nice top end thermal paste would knock off another few degrees too

Comment

Worth noting as well that if I disable the fan via HWiNFO, the system sits comfortably between 50-60*C while browsing the internet - before the mod the temp would just keep rising and rising uncontrollably if I did that, so I'm fairly sure the heat is indeed finding its way into the GPU section!

Comment

nioce!!!

tbh with you saying the temps would just keep creeping while browsing it sounds more like something was wrong with the old cooling
                          Plato

Comment

It's not impossible, though the old cooler was really rather pitiful by comparison, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were incapable of passive cooling at this load (also this laptop is well known for having god awful ventilation)

Comment

Working...
                            X