Shipping costs...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping costs...

Reading from the newsletter, I was going to order an 850 EVO 500GB just now,
    but really? More than 13 Pounds for delivery? I think not...

Hate to say it but Aria needs to get a lot more competitive with it's shipping costs.

Worst of all though, why if I select a more expensive item instead from the normal
    index (like an 850 Pro 512GB or an 850 EVO 1TB) does it show the delivery as being
    only 7? It seems like the shipping cost gets inflated for special offers, which is bad.
    The shipping cost for the same class of item should be the same, whether it's a
    special offer or not.

Ian.

PS. So impressed that nobody has replied to this after almost a week... *sigh*
    Last edited by mapesdhs; 04-06-15, 22:18.
    SGI Guru
    www.sgidepot.co.uk/sgi.html

Another email shot, again an inflated shipping cost (though at least not quite as bad),
    7.95 + VAT for shipping an 850 EVO, but putting a BX100 500GB into the basket in a
    normal manner gives 6.95 + VAT. Why? (the BX100 is priced higher)

Plus, almost 10 quid to ship such a lightweight item is too much anyway.

2 or 3 years ago Aria said it was going to made great strides in offering lower
    cost fast shipping for lightweight items, but that seems to have faded away.
    I want to buy stuff from Aria, but the shipping costs keep wiping out the
    deal savings.

Ian.
    SGI Guru

Comment

I have to say the same thing, I buy small order stuff from Leeds purely because the can ship RAM, SSD's, etc, for a couple of quid. If you're only buying one thing that's a significant saving.

Comment

You should qualify for free shipping by now Philip..?!

Originally posted by coiler
        Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Not sure, thought it was 1000 posts?
          Still, it doesn't work on the small orders does it? Which is where the bulk of postage saving comes in, I don't mind it on bigger orders

Comment

Yes I rarely buy things from Aria these days, especially lower priced items as any saving is instantly nullified by the delivery cost.
            i5 2500k | 16GB RAM | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | 256GB + 240GB SSDs | 1TB + 3TB HDDs | Define R5 Black | Dell 27" 1440p 60Hz + BenQ 24" 1080p 144Hz

Comment

I'm not sure on the post count actually.. But the amount is 20 minimum order I think..

Comment

Originally posted by PhillipM View Post
                Not sure, thought it was 1000 posts?
                Yep:

Originally posted by RawZ View Post
                Hi Guys,

After much thought, we have decided to give all forums members who have passed the magic 1000 post mark FREE Lifetime Standard Next Day Delivery.

We know it's often hard for those people who keep on posting to remain so over such a long period to make sure you hit your usual 50+ post limit to qualify for free shipping. So instead, once you surpass 1000 posts, you now get free shipping for life to say thank you for sticking around and contributing to our forum.

Please check your post count now and if you are over 1000 posts, please PM me when you get a chance so that I can authorise this for you asap.

The free shipping still conforms to the usual forum free shipping requirements, except this time you no longer need to keep 50 posts going each month.

Thank you.
                Original thread
                Why did the chicken cross the road?
                To get away from the Canadian poultry farmer with loose trousers.

Comment

It also can't be on a Super Special item - so you wouldn't get free shipping anyway.
                  ASUS Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.95 GHz | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8GB @ 3333 MHz C14 | ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC | Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe + 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in RAID0 | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 850w | be quiet! Pure Base 600 Tempered Glass | CM Masterkeys Pro L | Logitech G502 | Logitech G920 | ASUS ZenBook UX305F

Comment

Originally posted by TheMadDutchDude View Post
                    It also can't be on a Super Special item - so you wouldn't get free shipping anyway.
                    And sadly that is usually the kicker. Shame there can't be at least discounted postage on Super Specials for us loyal forum types.

All your spoon are belong to us

Comment

I did notice that when it comes to super specials vs deal4today (+ free delivery), it used to be a case of being cheaper via deal4today plus free delivery. Now, super specials + delivery cost is cheaper.

Or at least was in the case of the 850 evo 500GB offer.

i7 4960X, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus Sabertooth x79, Sapphire 290 4gb, Win10 pro 64.

Comment

Yeah it's worth doing a comparison.. SS items are often on D4T at the same time - and D4T qualify for free delivery. So it's just a case of looking at both

Comment

Originally posted by RandomPC View Post
                          And sadly that is usually the kicker. Shame there can't be at least discounted postage on Super Specials for us loyal forum types.

Wouldn't really be practical. Sometimes we are quite literally losing money on some of the super specials (as in, the sale price can be lower than the price we paid to purchase them from suppliers). Paying for shipping on top of that would just not work, mortgages to pay, mouths to feed, etc. Naturally, if you can find the products elsewhere at a lower overall cost we fully understand that people will buy wherever is cheapest, it's a free market.

Comment

Yet again with the latest newsletter, the shipping cost for the 850 EVO 500GB is 1.20 more than shown when adding an 850 Pro 512GB to the basket instead (9.54 vs. 8.4). Why is the shipping cost higher for a SS???? And as I said before, what happened to the stated promise of some years ago to begin offering low cost shipping for lightweight items? Almost 10 UKP shipping for an SSD in today's competitive market is just bizarre. Rival firms are often half that, or free. I _want_ to buy things from Aria, but this shipping issue often ruins what would otherwise be so many good deals.

Re losing money, that's why Aria is better off focusing on the more expensive items for specials, since the margins on those are much higher anyway, and thus the discount is more easily absorbed. One store owner told me he makes 40% of his annual profit on high-value items, while many every day items like HDDs are sold at merely break even or a loss in order to keep customers coming in & loyal who'll then also buy the bigger stuff. If you want to compete with the lower value items, then simply sell that at better prices by default, not in specials (it doesn't help that the specials and D4D are kinda splitting the same thing, with far too many items).

Ian.
                            SGI Guru

Comment

Just wondering, delivery price difference aside.

The combined cost is 137.88 (SuperSpecial + delivery)

Can you find it cheaper anywhere else? I couldn't.

From a quick look, the next cheapest I could find was 143.85 delivered.

i7 4960X, 16GB DDR3 1600MHz, Asus Sabertooth x79, Sapphire 290 4gb, Win10 pro 64.

Comment

Working...
                              X