Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocking service and lack of interest

Hi,

I own 2 MSI 2GB 270X HAWK graphics cards that where purchased in June 2014, about a week ago i brought one in to store for RMA as it was running hot hitting 100c in my system.
    After not even 24hrs i received a very bland email stating that it was not over heating, to which i queried what temperature it had reached in the testing and was advised 94c!
    I was also told "our returns team compared to another one brand new from stock, which was running a few degrees lower" this is a false, not only do you not stock this card any more for your identical card to be running very similar temps must mean that is too faulty?? I made contact with an MSI rep and had been advised that 94c was indeed to hot for this card, which i told "Patrick" and he didn't give any reaction, the rep also advised that i could safely reapply the TIM myself without voiding the manufacturer warranty.

I took his advise and collected the card today, upon close inspection i have noticed some SERIOUS evidence of fault, when put against my second card that runs fine there is a very noticeable discolouration from heat on the faulty card and all 4 of the washers on the screws that hold the cooler on are melted to the board!!
    I'm absolutely disgusted with the fact i have been fobbed off and told it is not faulty when it so clearly is, not to mention the potential fire hazard this poses if used and has posed whilst i have used it putting my pregnant wife and 1 year old son in danger!
    I demand something be done about this before i take it to trading standards!

I take it this happened after you replaced the tim, as the sticker is gone?
    Probably a faulty temp sensor as the card should throttle itself before it gets any were near hot enough to melt the plastic. If it was reaching 94c in testing they should have fixed in in the first place though.

Comment

I dont work for Aria..... but I too would be dubious of replacing a card that you bring in on its own showing signs of heat ...have you overclocked it too much?...are you running a custom cooling profile?.. is it crossfired in a badly cooled system..... is you PC next to a radiator?.

That said I would have asked these questions when you brought it in.... 94c is high but AMD do say that the R9's can run safe up to 95c which is probably why they said it was within limits....should be ok around the 80's depending on the cooling profile in use
      posted by scrivz69
      I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
      i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

Did you show the advice from the MSI rep in store or forward the emails???

If you go back in store ask to see it being tested, if its on a test bed and not in a case hitting 94C then get it replaced.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

Would take heat greater than 100c to melt plastic like that.

4770k @ 4.6, XSPC Raystorm, Avexir 4x4GB 2400MHz, ASUS Z87 Maximus Hero VI, Tri-fire 290x/290x/290 Reference EK 290X CSQ Full Nickel Blocks, Alphacool 240 ST-30, Alphacool 360 ST-30, Asus Xonar, Alphacool D5, Corsair AX 1200i, Carbide 540

Comment

Originally posted by El Wayneo View Post
            Did you show the advice from the MSI rep in store or forward the emails???

If you go back in store ask to see it being tested, if its on a test bed and not in a case hitting 94C then get it replaced.
            I asked how it was tested and it was on a test bed!

Comment

Originally posted by joker3327 View Post
              I dont work for Aria..... but I too would be dubious of replacing a card that you bring in on its own showing signs of heat ...have you overclocked it too much?...are you running a custom cooling profile?.. is it crossfired in a badly cooled system..... is you PC next to a radiator?.

That said I would have asked these questions when you brought it in.... 94c is high but AMD do say that the R9's can run safe up to 95c which is probably why they said it was within limits....should be ok around the 80's depending on the cooling profile in use
              Understandable, but they tested them selves and hit 94c on an open air bench.... The R9 270x hawk has a maximum temperature of 85c before it throttles, or so I've been told and the second card never exceeds 70c, neither of them have been over clocked or messed with, i tried a custom cooling profile and increased the fans but it didn't help, the second card at 70c has the fans at 30%... Also the case has good air flow and is up on top of my desk with nothing surrounding it

Comment

Forward them the correspondence from MSI rep and go from there.

Freedom isn't free"

Comment

If they gave you the offer to send it to MSI.... take them up on it ...and include the correspondence from the MSI Rep..... they should swap out no problem then as their own Rep said it was faulty....
                  posted by scrivz69
                  I think I may leave this forum, it seems to be full of the village people.​
                  i7 3930K @ 4.2| ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB @ 2133 Copperhead |2 x Gigabyte TITAN SLI |ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | Samsung 850 500GB SSD | 3TB SATA Drive | H100i WC | Corsair RM1000 | HAF X |40 inch Benq 2560x1440 IPS

Comment

Originally posted by clubber122 View Post
                    all 4 of the washers on the screws that hold the cooler on are melted to the board!!
                    Just so you're aware, that's not the washers melted to the board. It appears MSI have two different manufacturing processes when it comes to this part of the GPU, I have two unused GPUs here that look exactly the same as that, it's a black plastic seal that is applied directly to the PCB so that the spring which is placed between the screw head and PCB does not damage it. The other method, for which I also have an example of here, is the method used on your other GPU with rubber washers.

Comment

Originally posted by Walsh View Post
                      Just so you're aware, that's not the washers melted to the board. It appears MSI have two different manufacturing processes when it comes to this part of the GPU, I have two unused GPUs here that look exactly the same as that, it's a black plastic seal that is applied directly to the PCB so that the spring which is placed between the screw head and PCB does not damage it. The other method, for which I also have an example of here, is the method used on your other GPU with rubber washers.
                      Okay so it's a seal... It's still melted and shrunken and the discolouration is obvious

Comment

Originally posted by clubber122 View Post
                        Okay so it's a seal... It's still melted and shrunken and the discolouration is obvious
                        It's not melted and shrunken... well it is but that's just how they all look, presumably the plastic was applied hot in the first place and so was melted before application. As for discolouration, it's a different colour to the other one I'll give you that, whether that's the effect of heat or just another result of changes to the manufacturing process is hard to say for certain, just an assumption at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Walsh View Post
                          It's not melted and shrunken... well it is but that's just how they all look, presumably the plastic was applied hot in the first place and so was melted before application. As for discolouration, it's a different colour to the other one I'll give you that, whether that's the effect of heat or just another result of changes to the manufacturing process is hard to say for certain, just an assumption at this stage.
                          I find it hard to believe that how the plastic should go, also the cards are the same age, bought at th same time and have have the same usage?

Comment

what he's saying is the second (faulty) card has a type of plastic "wax" seal, like they use on thread locking things or is used on screws to ensure they haven't been tampered with, as opposed to rubber washers on the other card, it is quite feasible/possible that this is the case, only way disprove the theory is to find both on the same board, as it would be unlikely they'd use the two methods on one board
                            Last edited by Gunslinger; 29-01-15, 15:19. Reason: typo

"Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary"
                            - EPIC EULA M$ !...... thanks, but no thanks! - GWX Control Panel

Comment

So to clarify the situation for you:

Actual maximum temperature it reached in testing, and the one that was reported to yourself was a spike of 86C, not 94C.
                              The card it was compared to was another 270x Hawk which itself spiked at 84C.
                              The seals are not melted, they are like that on all MSI cards manufactured in this way, whether you can believe it or not this is the case.
                              We offered to send it back to MSI for you before you came to collect and you declined, we offered again at the counter and you declined saying someone from MSI had said you could remove the warranty sticker and replace the thermal compound and you'd rather do that than wait.
                              If you can provide evidence that you were told this by an MSI rep would still be happy to send it back for you after speaking with them to confirm this.

Please contact our customer services at cs@aria.co.uk and we can continue to help you from here.
                              Alternatively you could ask the rep you spoke to if you can send it back to them yourself if you'd rather do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X