Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop sending me awesome SuperSpecials that have already run out!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop sending me awesome SuperSpecials that have already run out!!!!

Email @ 11:42: "Raspberry Pi 2 Model B 17.49+VAT"

Check the site at 11:42 and 40 seconds... 0 left.

So either everyone was faster than me, you only had two in stock, or you're just sending me things that have already run out. I wouldn't mind if I saw the email 2 hours later, but when I literally see the email arrive, click through and there are none, what the hell is the point?
    Jon
    AMD Phenom II 720BE 2.8gHz @ 3.6gHz | TRUE & Noctua 120mm
    Biostar ta790gx3 a2+ | 4gb Kingston HyperX PC2-8500
    Asus geForce GTX460 768mb - 22" LED monitor @ 1920x1080
    Samsung 850 250 GB SSD | Antec 300 | OCZ modXstream 500W

In fairness to Aria, time received isn't the same as time sent and some cloud email hosts can take a while to process incoming mail before you actually see it pop into your inbox.

Also sending mailing lists isn't generally instant (this is due to hosts forcing throttling to mitigate malicious spam). Some of the larger customer databases where I work can take a few hours to run through, but they'll have a few million recipients so I wouldn't expect Aria to be quite so bad - but it could still take a while.

Comment

The way the super specials work is that there are a limited number on offer at the sale price, and the purchasing team 'refresh' the offer periodically throughout the day. So although there are none on super special at the moment, more will be put up at the sale price later on.

This is obviously to encourage people to visit the site, and potentially see the other offers we have, possibly resulting in other sales. Personally I think that's a fairly valid marketing strategy - we're typically losing money on the high profile super specials, so essentially it's a form of marketing where we spend money and our 'marketing budget' directly on to the customers, rather than spending money with google adwords or other banner distribution networks as is more traditional. But there is of course the risk with these very popular offers that it can be hard to catch them - that's just unavoidable though, if we were to release an unlimited number at these silly prices we'd quite quickly go out of business.

Comment

Originally posted by Audigex View Post
        So either everyone was faster than me...
        University address? Student? Get up earlier!

Visit the site and don't wait for the email.

Aria may even trail upcoming offers over on Facebook.
        Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
        Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
        Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Originally posted by michaelkenward View Post
          University address? Student? Get up earlier!

Visit the site and don't wait for the email.

Aria may even trail upcoming offers over on Facebook.
          Old account, full time employed and unable to sit checking Aria all day every day...

I get why it happens, but it makes the emails pointless if there are no offers when it's received
          Jon
          AMD Phenom II 720BE 2.8gHz @ 3.6gHz | TRUE & Noctua 120mm
          Biostar ta790gx3 a2+ | 4gb Kingston HyperX PC2-8500
          Asus geForce GTX460 768mb - 22" LED monitor @ 1920x1080
          Samsung 850 250 GB SSD | Antec 300 | OCZ modXstream 500W

Comment

Just seen one fly by today. Zyxel NAS. Not something I have ever seen on offer at Aria at any price.

Click the newsletter link and doesn't just say "Sold out", it says:
            Discontinued!
            This item is currently discontinued and at present, we have no replacement on order.
            You can buy these in any number of places where they have boxes of them stacked to the ceiling.

I'm in the market for one because my generation 1 version is dying.
            Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
            Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
            Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

I think it would be better if the newsletter explained your strategy, its all very well to say to us lot that you're releasing stock over the day, but that strategy doesn't work if your mailshot says "strictly limited, hurry!" Which suggests (to me) a race to get them, and once I see out of stock I go to look elsewhere.

You need to make a real big point out of the staggered release, I think it would work well with crazy hyperactive internet dwellers, anything that makes people feel like they've 'won' is cracking marketing, 'winning' in this case simply being on your site at the right time to grab a deal

Doesn't work if you don't tell anyone though.
              Originally posted by coiler
              He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
              Originally posted by BigIan88
              turn off that sexy nonsense
              Originally posted by Salad Soup
              turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

Originally posted by omega View Post
                I think it would be better if the newsletter explained your strategy, its all very well to say to us lot that you're releasing stock over the day, but that strategy doesn't work if your mailshot says "strictly limited, hurry!" Which suggests (to me) a race to get them, and once I see out of stock I go to look elsewhere.

You need to make a real big point out of the staggered release, I think it would work well with crazy hyperactive internet dwellers, anything that makes people feel like they've 'won' is cracking marketing, 'winning' in this case simply being on your site at the right time to grab a deal

Doesn't work if you don't tell anyone though.
                Totally agree with this.. It's the the first time someone has posted something along these lines..

Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

A sound idea indeed. But the original explanation of Aria's strategy isn't clear.

The way the super specials work is that there are a limited number on offer at the sale price, and the purchasing team 'refresh' the offer periodically throughout the day. So although there are none on super special at the moment, more will be put up at the sale price later on.
                  Does this mean that the "refresh" puts more of the previously sold out items up for sale, or that it replaces those with a different product.

The way the super specials work is that there are a limited number on offer at the sale price, and the purchasing team 'refresh' the offer periodically [with what] throughout the day. So although there are none on super special at the moment, more [what] will be put up at the sale price later on.
                  If it really is a case of selling more "sold out" stuff on the list, the response should be "Sold out at the moment, but some back soon and we may have more of them on offer."

If "refreshing" means replacing sold out things with something different, the response should recognise that and say "We'd sold out of that but we have just added this".

Lots of way to handle the thing. Any of them would be better than the current baffling response.

Comment

There are a finite number of any one particular item which will be available at SS price during the day.

Say there's 100 of an item in stock. It will be decided that 30 will go on SS today. Instead of just reducing the price for the first 30 sold, they sell 10 cheaper at 9am, another 10 reduced again at 11am... and the final 10 reduced at 3pm... etc.

I think it's fair and a good idea, but you need to advertise it as such.
                    He'll have the local FBI round his house with all that hash!
                    Originally posted by BigIan88
                    turn off that sexy nonsense
                    Originally posted by Salad Soup
                    turns out if you touch a stripper too much and try and get back in after being kicked out, they dont like that!

Comment

Originally posted by omega View Post
                      I think it's fair and a good idea, but you need to advertise it as such.
                      Indeed. As currently advertised, anyone who finds that they have sold out of something isn't going to come back. They'll just be a bit miffed and may well go somewhere else.

Then again, for anyone who qualifies for free shipping, delivery costs often push the price of supersaver stuff above the "normal" price. I noticed that yesterday with one of the many SSD offers we have seen.

250GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive - MZ-75E250BW/EU

SuperSpecial 69.98 inc. VAT, but 80.72 delivered.

Normal price 78.40 inc. VAT delivered if you qualify.

And where did that "Price was 86.99 inc. VAT" come from? It is a con if you arrive there, see the SuperSaver price and think you are saving 17.01 (86.99 - 69.98). No, you are saving 8.42 (78.40 - 69.98).

Comment

I hate Superspecials lol, twice in the last month or so I've had the i7-4790k emailed 2 me. The first time it was at 223 and the second time at 234. I Clicked as fast as humanly possible for it to only say its sold out at that price. fml

Comment

Good feedback, I will forward this thread onto the purchasers.

Comment

Working...
                          X