Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **New Enquiry** | ORDER EC1549706 - Mushkin 120GB SSD RMA

Hi All,

The above order is 1year and 1day old, what are the chances eh!!

Anyway, the Mushkin (which has gone wrong) comes with a 3 year warranty luckily.

Unable to read the drive, BIOS shows as "Sandforce { 0.0gb" ??

On the Mushkin website RMA pages it states "European Customers: For replacement services, please visit your original place of purchase first to process your RMA."

I tried RMA through the web site but it just says Order is out of warranty, and to contact the manufacturer.

So who's right?

Rgds, R.

P.S. tried the Chat now option from the main website but I've been waiting for 23 minutes with no reply!?!?
    FILM QUIZ!!!!? Name the film from the quote!!
    "Right. Better clench up, Legolas"

Finally got Nick on the Chat.

Has recommended return to Mushkin even though their web site states return to original place of purchase.

I will try that route first.

R.

Comment

Finally got some replies from Mushkin.

They will replace the unit.. as I would expect..

However they state that I'm responsible for the return postage, which given I have to post it overseas is at least a tenner.

Slightly miffed that I have to pay to get a faulty item replaced!!

Does that sound right?!?

Does Aria have a position on this given I purchased off them with a 3 year warranty?

Comment

Who are you posting with? I had to send a mobile phone to China. It was tracked and insured to 150 and only cost 18 with parcel monkey.

Comment

Royal mail is all I've checked at the moment.

but even if it was 5 surely I shouldn't be expected to pay for that myself? the Item is faulty!!

Comment

You shouldn't have to pay to return it, but that might come down to something you need to sort with aria.

It could be that as mushkin have said they will replace it, you can now get it back to aria, who can swap it out with existing stock, and then they can stick it on one of their larger shipments of returned items back to mushkin..
            Last edited by Aaron; 24-03-16, 16:45.

Originally posted by coiler
            Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

At least they haven't tried to "charge" you for a year's use.
              Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
              Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
              Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                You shouldn't have to pay to return it, but that might come down to something you need to sort with aria.

It could be that as mushkin have said they will replace it, you can now get it back to aria, who can swap it out with existing stock, and then they can stick it on one of their larger shipments of returned items back to mushkin..
                I did ask Aria in the first place, and got the standard outside of 1 year, return to manufacturer. Even though it was only 367 days after purchase!!

Originally posted by michaelkenward View Post
                At least they haven't tried to "charge" you for a year's use.
                It kind of feels like that's what the postage is. If it does end up costing a tenner, that's almost 25% the cost of the item.. surely that's not right!?!?

There are probably laws governing returns in the UK, and I guess that's why the returns department is in Ireland!??!

Any comment from anyone official?

Comment

Originally posted by R1gg4 View Post
                  I did ask Aria in the first place, and got the standard outside of 1 year, return to manufacturer. Even though it was only 367 days after purchase!!

It kind of feels like that's what the postage is. If it does end up costing a tenner, that's almost 25% the cost of the item.. surely that's not right!?!?

There are probably laws governing returns in the UK, and I guess that's why the returns department is in Ireland!??!

Any comment from anyone official?
                  What did it say on the website at the time? Your contract of sale is with aria, not mushkin, so really they should sort it out if that's the route you decide to take..

Comment

No idea what it said on the website at the time I made the purchase it was just over a year ago.?

I asked Aria via their chat, and got Nick, who said "We don't take returns after 1 year, you'll need to return it to the manufacturer" He then told me they (the manufacturer) would need proof of purchase and offered to email me the invoice which he did.

Interestingly on the Aria returns policy web page, it doesn't mention the 1 year thing at all, just says.

"Goods Faulty in Warranty Period - If your goods develop a fault after 28 days of receipt, then provided they are within their warranty period, you are entitled to a warranty repair. In some cases, manufacturers provide a full on-site service and or telephone help facilities for your convenience which we recommend you utilise in order to correct the fault quickly. This does not affect your rights under the Sales of Goods Act if the goods do not conform to the contract and the manufacturer does not repair or replace the goods or offer an alternative remedy." https://www.aria.co.uk/Support/Returns+Policy#fg

I'll leave this over the bank holiday weekend, see if anyone from Aria will comment next week.

Comment

Originally posted by R1gg4 View Post
                      Interestingly on the Aria returns policy web page, it doesn't mention the 1 year thing .....
                      Check the new(ish) EU Consumer Rights Directive.

This effectively says that the one-year thing is a non starter. If you buy something expecting it to last for years a fridge for example then it should last a "reasonable" time. Quite what reasonable means is down to interpretation. But one year for a fridge would be unreasonable.

Here is some guidance suggesting that the minimum period is two years:

Guarantees, cancelling and returning your purchases - Your Europe

This says:

The trader is always required to provide a solution; in some EU countries you also have the right to request a remedy from the producer.
                      And the seller can say what it likes on websites, but it does not absolve them of following the regulations.

That's just for starters.

Hope you get this sorted before the nutjobs vote us out of the EU. Then we might end up with US style "stuff the consumer" regulations.
                      Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus Z-170-K + Intel i5-6500 + 512GB Samsung M.2 PCI-e SSD + 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory
                      Win 10 Pro 64-bit + Asus M5A88-M EVO + AMD Phenom II X6 + 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600 + Radeon HD 6450
                      Win 10 Home 32-bit + Asus M2N-SLI DeLuxe + AMD Athlon 64 X2, Dual Core 5400 + 4.0 GB Memory + NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Comment

Thanks for that.

The EU directives are all well and good, but without any word from what Aria will actually do I don't overly want to comment. (don't want to upset anyone just yet!)

It's not that I mind dealing with the manufacturer, but when they insist it's your responsibility to return at your own cost, I think that's a bit much, especially as they want you to post overseas.

In respect of Aria, I will wait for official comment.

Comment

Yeah, aria are normally pretty good at sorting these things out if there's a way of doing it that works all round

Comment

Originally posted by michaelkenward View Post
                            Check the new(ish) EU Consumer Rights Directive.

This effectively says that the one-year thing is a non starter. If you buy something expecting it to last for years – a fridge for example – then it should last a "reasonable" time. Quite what reasonable means is down to interpretation. But one year for a fridge would be unreasonable.

Here is some guidance suggesting that the minimum period is two years:

Guarantees, cancelling and returning your purchases - Your Europe

This says:

And the seller can say what it likes on websites, but it does not absolve them of following the regulations.

That's just for starters.

Hope you get this sorted before the nutjobs vote us out of the EU. Then we might end up with US style "stuff the consumer" regulations.
                            You could argue if it was sold with a one year warranty then out would be only reasonably be expected to last that long with no issues.
                            So its a bit of a moot point.

Comment

It's not... Because the EU CRD superceeds warranties offered by companies. So, for white goods (fridges, washing machines etc) the life expectancy is 6 years, and thats how long you can claim a repair and/or replacement.

The warranty bit comes in here. Take this hypothetical situation, and you are asking for a replacement/repair - and assume there is no warranty offered on a product. The EU CRD still stands and you are still within your rights to claim under that 'warranty'.

However, there are 2 timescales within that:

If it fails WITHIN the first 6 months
                              If the manufacturer chooses not to replace the item, it is up to them to prove that it was not defective at the point of manufacture, and that the damage/failure was caused by improper use or abuse by the owner.

If it fails AFTER the first 6 months
                              If asked to by the manufacturer, it is up to the owner to prove that it was not improper use or abuse and that it WAS defective at the point of manufacture.

All a manufacturer warranty does is effectively extend that initial 6 month period. So, if a warranty is a year, the manufacturer is basically saying "this product is manufactured to a standard where it will not fail within the first year of use. If it does fail, it is a manufacturing defect and so we will repair or replace it without a fuss".

And manufacturer warranty does not go above and beyond EU law.

I hope that made sense?!

Comment

Working...
                              X