Overclocking service

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking service

Personally I wish Aria offered this service, some other Vendors have started to and it would be great to see Aria doing it when your spending a truck load of money on a new system.
    \"It is best to thwart people with intelligent planning\" Wang Xi

We here online can help people to overclock systems. I personally think a upgrade service wud be good, you send in ur older system, and pay for the upgrades, and its send back nice, shiny and new.

Comment

upgrade service - would be like a jog in hell imho...

imagine dealing with 2-3 year old pcs, full of dust a heaven knows what, and then you plont a new card in for the 5 year old motherboard thats been messed about with 50 times by someone who has nfi about computers and then support that for 12 months or something.... eek

overclocking, hmm, never been keen on that either to be honest (call me a boring git) but you end up either shortening your components life or spending so much on cooling you may as well have bought a better chip / graphics card / wahtever anyway...
      http://sheffsworld.blogspot.com

More of my ramblings and ravings!

Comment

Re:

[quote:01174fc090=\"ibradshaw\"] you end up either shortening your components life or spending so much on cooling you may as well have bought a better chip / graphics card / wahtever anyway... [/quote:01174fc090]

Not entirely true if its done properly, and anyway what is the USEFULL lifespan of a pc? 4 to 5 years tops? ok now whats the ACTUAL lifespan of a stock pc? 10 years? i know there are some right old dogs of pc's at work that all they are good for is programming chips, try and run anything on them other than old dos programs and forget it, they are next to useless now a days.

So even if you do shorten the ACTUAL lifespan of a pc slightly by overclocking you might actually extend its USEFUL lifespan.

There is a subtle but important difference between USEFULL and ACTUAL lifespan of a pc. As for spending a fortune on cooling, you don't have to 25 for a decent cooler should suffice for mild overclocking maybe 3 times that for some cheaper water cooling for a slightly higher overclock, you could spend hundreds on water / phase cooling if you wanted but that tends to be for hardcore overclockers and yes they do tend to fry things but then they also tend to overclock topend chips anyway so they can't buy anything better.
        Laptop: i7-3610QM~16GB~GT635M
        Gamer: i7 3820 @ 4.4Ghz~MSI X79A-GD65~16GB Redline 2133~HIS R290(X)~TT A90~CM SILENT PRO 1000w~U2713HM.
        Canon 5D Mk3 16-35 F4L / 24-105L / 180mmL / 70-200 2.8L IS II / Sigma 50mm f1.4DG / Sigma 150-600 Sport / 2x 430EXii (Me on 500px)

Comment

Re:

[quote:9e7e6d0d4a=\"mac124\"]
          So even if you do shorten the ACTUAL lifespan of a pc slightly by over clocking you might actually extend its USEFUL lifespan. [/quote:9e7e6d0d4a]

Exactly, take my current rig, Amd Athlong XP 3000, Abit Nf7s-2 mobo etc has been running strong for 3 years with only a few upgrades but now with the release of Vista it has come to the end of its usefulness for what I need it for, predominantly gaming. So with replacing the fans, new heatsink etc I am passing it on to my nephew who will be able to use it for school work and older games for a few years to come perhaps. Overclocking would extend its life somewhat, even at the expense off component life time, this machine will be useless in another 3 years so why worry about it or any other machine for that matter functioning for 10 or more?
          \"It is best to thwart people with intelligent planning\" Wang Xi

Comment

yep, mine is the same

I still use my XP2400+ on an original NF7-s for gaming. 1gb ram and a 6800GS in there. XP2400+ is running at 2500 and something mhz - dunno what that is in AMD rating numbers . And the 6800 is overclocked too, with all the extra pipelines unlocked as well, and it still runs things ok.

As mac says, overclocking can (but not definately) reduce the life of a component, but it will increase its useable life. And if its properly cooled, which you can do well with air if you know what you are doing, then it shouldnt have too much of an issue with lifespan anyway.

Originally posted by coiler
            Stomach was rumbling like a fatman landing on Sanctuary

Comment

Working...
            X